Am I losing too fast? Need logging advice.

Options
Howdy! I need some advice on logging and whether or not I need to change something. I've currently got about 35lbs to lose, and have my goal set at -1lb/week. I'm not great at actually meeting my calorie target, so I've been netting about 100-200 calories per day over my target.

HOWEVER I have been losing about 1.5 lbs per week.

-I log everything
-I measure everything with measuring cups (a food scale is not an option)
-I eat back all my exercise calories and then some

At first I thought it was just water weight but it's up to a month now of consistent loss. I haven't been feeling hungry or tired or anything. And I sure as heck don't mind making progress a little faster! Do I need to be concerned about this? Is it unhealthy or can I just keep going?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I.5 pounds a week is not overly fast so I wouldn't worry. If though you want to log accurately you need to weigh food. It may not matter so much now but as you get nearer your goal accuracy will be the key as your calorie deficit will be smaller. Measuring cups are not an accurate way to measure solid items. A food scale is really cheap and worth every penny at the moment in reality with measuring cups your calorie counting is just educated guessing
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    Thank you, that is reassuring.

Money's not the problem with a food scale... my current living/work situation means eating mostly communally-prepared meals or cafeteria food. Guesstimating based on measuring cups is about the closest I can guess right now.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I agree that you absolutely will need a food scale at one point in your weight loss if you plan on doing it right. Here is one for $15: http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Digital-Multifunction-Kitchen-Elegant/dp/B004164SRA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399829446&sr=8-1&keywords=food+scale

Also, 1.5lbs is not an unhealthy rate for most people but don't be surprised if your extra calorie consumption catches up to you and you start losing less per week.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Thank you, that is reassuring.

Money's not the problem with a food scale... my current living/work situation means eating mostly communally-prepared meals or cafeteria food. Guesstimating based on measuring cups is about the closest I can guess right now.

Lol, I'd still bring a scale but I'm strange like that.
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    Okay, good to know! I don't mind losing less, and kind of expected progress to slow a lot as I get closer to my goal. I was mostly worried because I've heard you shouldn't lose more than a pound per week to be healthy... but it's not like I'm depriving myself of anything. I eat a TON. So it's nice to know that it's not unhealthy.