To much protein makes you gain???

Options

Replies

• ConnieDCuster
    Options
    A "High Protein Diet" is based upon poor, meat & dairy industry based research. Those two food industries are the major lobbiest for the food industry in Washington D.C. They are also the greatest contributors to research, greatly distorting our general knowledge of diet and nutrition.

Protein is less calorie dense than fat, and slightly more calorie dense than starches. They are quite a lot more calorie dense than vegetables.

So on a protein diet you will eat a lot less food. If you add fat (any oil) to your meal, it will leave you feeling more satisfied but far less healthy.

Additionally, protein's building block is the amino acid. Notice protein is acid. The molecules are formed in a way that we do not feel the acid prior to the protein molecules being broken down by digestion. And this important why? Because, as an acid, when placed in the human body without the buffer of plenty of starch, our body must adjust to reduce the acid, bringing back our slightly alkaline healthy base. And this is important why? Because it buffers this protein acid by taking the calcium from our bones.

So, now we have been on a "Protein Almighty" path, trusting the biased studies, instead of pure science and what do we have? A modern society plagued with osteoporosis. The next thing sold to us is milk for it's calcium. And milk has just enough calcium to offset the extra acid from it's protein. Hmmm.

Who are the scientists, (as opposed to diet doctors), who are only interested in human health and the science and historical sociological histories shedding light on what humans really should eat?

There are some really great minds of our times and some well recognized names, like,
    Dean Ornish, John McDougall, Neal Barnard, Caldwell Esselstyn, Nathan Pritikin, T. Collin Campbell et al... et al.

The best way to get it all in a clearly explained and even entertaining way is from John McDougall.

Having said that, I am now about to listen to myself (isn't that who we really lecture to??) and google Dr. McDougall (inadvertant rhyme :-) I am going to return to healthy habits, (starch based diet, consistent, moderate exercise, meditation and simple recipes and schedule)

All this said, I have been eating meat and added fat. Needless to say my weight has been up for a few years. I'm retiring!!! and about to enter Act III of life. My new job is to eat simply (my own museli with raw oatmeal/almond milk/cinnamon, potatoes with salsa and hummus, lentils from my favorite Greek restaurant, soups, vegies, half of a plate of salad with each meal and two pieces of fruit each day. Oh yeah! Horiatiki salad at the Cafe Athena in Pacific Beach, i.e. San Diego).

Anyone want to join me????

Whatever you eat, to your health and enjoy the journey!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    A "High Protein Diet" is based upon poor, meat & dairy industry based research. Those two food industries are the major lobbiest for the food industry in Washington D.C. They are also the greatest contributors to research, greatly distorting our general knowledge of diet and nutrition.

Protein is less calorie dense than fat, and slightly more calorie dense than starches. They are quite a lot more calorie dense than vegetables.

So on a protein diet you will eat a lot less food. If you add fat (any oil) to your meal, it will leave you feeling more satisfied but far less healthy.

Additionally, protein's building block is the amino acid. Notice protein is acid. The molecules are formed in a way that we do not feel the acid prior to the protein molecules being broken down by digestion. And this important why? Because, as an acid, when placed in the human body without the buffer of plenty of starch, our body must adjust to reduce the acid, bringing back our slightly alkaline healthy base. And this is important why? Because it buffers this protein acid by taking the calcium from our bones.

So, now we have been on a "Protein Almighty" path, trusting the biased studies, instead of pure science and what do we have? A modern society plagued with osteoporosis. The next thing sold to us is milk for it's calcium. And milk has just enough calcium to offset the extra acid from it's protein. Hmmm.

Who are the scientists, (as opposed to diet doctors), who are only interested in human health and the science and historical sociological histories shedding light on what humans really should eat?

There are some really great minds of our times and some well recognized names, like,
    Dean Ornish, John McDougall, Neal Barnard, Caldwell Esselstyn, Nathan Pritikin, T. Collin Campbell et al... et al.

The best way to get it all in a clearly explained and even entertaining way is from John McDougall.

Having said that, I am now about to listen to myself (isn't that who we really lecture to??) and google Dr. McDougall (inadvertant rhyme :-) I am going to return to healthy habits, (starch based diet, consistent, moderate exercise, meditation and simple recipes and schedule)

All this said, I have been eating meat and added fat. Needless to say my weight has been up for a few years. I'm retiring!!! and about to enter Act III of life. My new job is to eat simply (my own museli with raw oatmeal/almond milk/cinnamon, potatoes with salsa and hummus, lentils from my favorite Greek restaurant, soups, vegies, half of a plate of salad with each meal and two pieces of fruit each day. Oh yeah! Horiatiki salad at the Cafe Athena in Pacific Beach, i.e. San Diego).

Whatever you eat, to your health and enjoy the journey!

Um...I think you need to do a bit more research into amino acids.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    So....this thread is going down "that" direction now...

hat.jpg
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    So....this thread is going down "that" direction now...

hat.jpg

Yup. And amusing since there is a guy on here with a PhD that just this past week debunked someone's claim that amino acids cause osteoporosis.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

I disagree but its ok.

It's cool if you disagree, but you're wrong...if you cycle calories, you're basically running at maintenance in the aggregate meaning that you're doing recomposition which is a very slow way to lose fat and gain muscle simultaneously. You can't trick your body...
    ^^^that right there ^^^

Don't knock till you try. I have tried all kinds of weight loss plan. Now I found one that works.

You trick your body to get out of a plateau. That why people changes workouts because body gets used to it. So If im wrong but it works then I will keep doing the wrong thing.
    If you want t to state that something works for you, that there clearly is no supporting evidence for and say you will continue doing it then fine. But to promote it on to others and then when you are pressed for answers you say "Well it works for me" or "read this Tnation" article is irresponsible and not doing any service to the members looking for help.

I already you don't like my opinions or respect them for that matter because I like to challenge you on your false preconceived notions and you can't properly debate due to lack of proper understanding. However, regardless of you feelings I will continue to press you until you start providing facts as I'm sure others will.

It actually awesome to see someone question other people advice because people then go and research and I don't know about if they message you to say you correct or thanks for talking in forum. I have a lot of people that come to me to say hey your T Nation article you put it is exactly what happen to me thank you.
  • Vigilance88
    Vigilance88 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It actually awesome to see someone question other people advice because people then go and research and I don't know about if they message you to say you correct or thanks for talking in forum. I have a lot of people that come to me to say hey your T Nation article you put it is exactly what happen to me thank you.

doesn't make your statements correct, just means that there are sadly a lot of gullible people who take random posts (without any proof) as facts. Your only argument so far has been "it works for me, so it's true".
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    eating too much = weight/fat gain ..

if you eat too much and eat protein you gain ..

if you eat less then you burn, and eat protein you lose ..

protein really has nothing to do with it….
  • yopeeps025
    Options

doesn't make your statements correct, just means that there are sadly a lot of gullible people who take random posts (without any proof) as facts. Your only argument so far has been "it works for me, so it's true".

These people do there own research once they realize there is more to calories in calories out. If it was that easy then there would not be a obese epidemic that is so hard to cure seeing how heart disease is the number one killer in the USA. Why would there be so many post of people that use MFP, they some what enter in calories or they just can't read, and cannot lose weight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

These people do there own research once they realize there is more to calories in calories out. If it was that easy then there would not be a obese epidemic that is so hard to cure seeing how heart disease is the number one killer in the USA. Why would there be so many post of people that use MFP, they some what enter in calories or they just can't read, and cannot lose weight.

lol…so you are saying there are people that eat less then they burn and still gain?

at the end of the day it is still basic math and physics and no one defies that ..not matter what you "claim" to know….
  • yopeeps025
    Options

lol…so you are saying there are people that eat less then they burn and still gain?

at the end of the day it is still basic math and physics and no one defies that ..not matter what you "claim" to know….

There are a lot of people that post that claim they eat 1200 calories and workout however many times they do and cannot see the scale move. Mst people answers are your not logging in correct so to me if I had that problem then your telling me that I cannot read the nutrition facts that are on every single food that is in the store.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

There are a lot of people that post that claim they eat 1200 calories and workout however many times they do and cannot see the scale move. Mst people answers are your not logging in correct so to me if I had that problem then your telling me that I cannot read the nutrition facts that are on every single food that is in the store.
    I've not been on these forums long but your advice is consistently poor IMO. It will confuse new people and isn't supported by anything then your own anecdotes. You make claims that get throughly refuted and debunked by multiple members every time you post. Please either bring some actual research based evidence to your claims or stop making them. You are really only doing a disservice to those trying to learn.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Some people cannot read the nutrition labels properly. Others are not measuring their portions correctly. Then there are the people who are not honest and accurate about their logging. On the other side of the energy equation, some are overestimating their calorie burns from exercise, or they have a medical condition that impacts how they burn calories. It really is calories in vs calories out.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I've not been on these forums long but your advice is consistently poor IMO. It will confuse new people and isn't supported by anything then your own anecdotes. You make claims that get throughly refuted and debunked by multiple members every time you post. Please either bring some actual research based evidence to your claims or stop making them. You are really only doing a disservice to those trying to learn.

You are correct that I must be confusing a lot of people during their weight loss. I will stop using T Nation as my guide.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

No, Ma'am!!

Do you even log?

And, To Your Health :smile: :drinker:
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    just over eating in any food group will make you gain weight
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I've read that entire article and it's complete hokum. T nation is the Broscience capital of the Internet! Their training articles can sometimes be decent but their nutritional articles are equally hokum!
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I've read that entire article and it's complete hokum. T nation is the Broscience capital of the Internet! Their training articles can sometimes be decent but their nutritional articles are equally hokum!

so bring some articles that counter that article so I can read them.