Exercise and Chemo

Options
moineau_
moineau_ Posts: 26 Member
Hey there!
Recently I was diagnosed with DLBCL Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and was curious to know how in the world do I continue to exercise while doing chemo?
From past experience I know chemo tends to make you very tired and very low energy (I already struggle with this so I am very worried about how bad it will get when I start)

I really want to still be able to keep a routine, but I am curious to know of some exercises I could possibly do that maybe aren't quite as difficult as an hour on the treadmill, etc.

I don't want to give up exercising completely, as I need to keep myself as 'healthy' as possible while I am undergoing treatment...but I have no idea what I can do during this time. HELP!

Replies

• Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that you are going through this, but congratulate you for your attitude. I suggest you look into some gentle or beginner yoga class. You can do anps much as you can, without pushing yourself to hard. Wishing you the best!
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Yeah something like Yoga and Pilates for beginners that you can do in your own home and stop as soon as you feel unwell.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Very low energy and in lots of pain (I know someone who went through chemo in summer/fall 2013).

The day of treatment you might feel a little tired. The day after you'll be mostly okay because you'll be on meds. And then about 24-30 hours after each treatment it'll kick your butt and you'll want to rest for a few days. You'll slowly get better and then by the time you start to feel okay (still not normal because your energy will be low) it'll be time for the next treatment.

You need to just take it one day at a time. If you feel up to it, go for a walk or do something else low key. Otherwise, it's a rest day because your body needs to recover from treatment. The most important thing right now is going to be getting through the chemo, not losing weight.

The person I know's doctor actually told them not to try to lose weight during the chemo, even though this person is overweight, so I think you should talk to your doctor about a plan that's good for you.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. This shouldn't be a question you should ask here I don't think. I'm sure your doctor would give you better advice to whether it gonna benefit you or hurt you. What have heard is that during chemo you should exercise as much as you are capable to what might help you deal with chemo better or even help with recovery. All tho during immunotherapy or radiation therapy any exercise is strictly prohibited because they may crash your immune system and kill you. But then again I'm not a doctor just telling you what I have heard. You should probably also take in consideration what type of medicine you are taking cos it may react with physical activity and cause you stroke or something. Like I said, talk with your doctor. Anyways, good luck mate, all the best.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Honestly I would focus more on just getting better than pile working out on your plate on top of chemo and dr. appointments and all other thing cancer-related. Do what you can, when you can, but don't put it before what's truly important. Exercise can wait, your health can't.
  • guardianwill
    guardianwill Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Greetings,

Actually I went through Chemo not too long ago. During this time I did exercise and you have your good days and bad days. Even on the bad days though I used a stretch band and exercise ball and did simple exercises during those times. Worked for me lost what I needed to and still exercised enough to tell the body I need those muscles and they are not for food.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'd play it by ear. You'll be tired and have some up and down days. On the up days you may choose to relax and save that energy or spend it on something that you missed doing during a down day. I'm not saying to not exercise, I'm just saying I wouldn't try to stick to a hard schedule
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Do the best you can, but be kind and fair to you. Chemo is rough, there's no sugar coating it. Take break days when the chemo hits and work out on those days when you can. You're in for a battle. The important thing is to start strength training hard when the chemo is over because you will lose muscle mass. My wife started barbell training after hers, successfully recomped, and continues to amaze me. You can fight this fight.

Edit: typos