Coming to terms with the fact that I am "skinny fat"

andreamaym
andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
I would like to start off by saying that I have never known what it is like to be overweight, but I have struggled with my weight since I was 12 years old. I signed up for MFP and set a goal to lose 5lbs, however I am really looking to educate myself on how to make a lifestyle change. I have read some wonderful articles about lifting, and seen some photos that have made me think "Hey - I want to look like that!!"

I have had a tumultuous relationship with the scale for most of my life, but I've finally come to the realization that what I see in the mirror is far more significant than my weight. I've picked up a copy of "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes and am getting into the habit of logging everything I eat. I spend a great deal of time working, but I'm figuring out how to incorporate some exercise into my days.

Is is me today, at 5'8" and 124.4lbs.
be0131f7-728f-4cc5-8b54-20f61df22ce3_zpsc5297657.jpg

I'm hoping to add some muscle mass this summer, tone up, get a big butt and get rid of that belly. I would love to add friends who will kick my butt into gear and motivate me to work out! (:

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Lifting heavy weights will get you exactly where you want to be.

And there's no such thing as "good" calories or "bad" calories. You'd do well to toss that book and just focus on your calories and macros.
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    We're in the same boat! I have a similar body type with similar goals. I'll send you a friend request. :flowerforyou:
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    The book you mentioned is really a pure nonsense for the most part. All the modern research and exercise & nutrition science contradicts almost everything that guy is saying. Take it all with grain of salt.
  • andreamaym
    Lifting heavy weights will get you exactly where you want to be.

And there's no such thing as "good" calories or "bad" calories. You'd do well to toss that book and just focus on your calories and macros.

Hm, what about "empty calories"? I understand that staying within my budget is important (I've read a lot of nonsense on here about how you can eat whatever you want as long as it's healthy - don't worry, I'm not buying that for a second) but from a health standpoint shouldn't those calories should come from healthier foods?
  • andreamaym
    We're in the same boat! I have a similar body type with similar goals. I'll send you a friend request. :flowerforyou:

Perfect! :bigsmile:
  • andreamaym
    The book you mentioned is really a pure nonsense for the most part. All the modern research and exercise & nutrition science contradicts almost everything that guy is saying. Take it all with grain of salt.

I initially read about the book here: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I'll keep your advice in mind though! Are there any books you would suggest??