Has anyone heard of The WEIGH DOWN diet, or tried it??

Options
Someone told me about The Weigh Down Diet...It is a spiritual based program, but the principles seem to have worked for alot of people..Just wondering if anyone has heard of it or tried it, and if so, was it successful??

Replies

• vseifert
    Options
    No, but always interested in what works. Keep us posted if you hear anything please.
  • becomingsara
    Options
    I tried it as an impressionable young adult and it drove me into not eating anything ever (lost hair, cessation of menses, blackouts and heart arrhythmia...finally I 'snapped' out of it when my church no longer supported her teachings, because they can be UNHEALTHY for when and if we are uneducated).

Although she is a registered dietician, she never spoke about how to eat right. She maintained that since our bodies were made by God, then they would guide us to what we really needed... not a true supposition. The basic tenets were eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full. That part is true and right on. But there was NO guidance for those of us who's body has become TRAINED (by us) to crave the WRONG foods.

If you do partake int he study, tread lightly and realize that the WDW is an opinion of a human and NOT a divine mandate...IMO
  • iluv70s
    iluv70s Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I went through this also, and I do not recommend it. She makes you believe (at least in my opinion) that if you eat anytime other than when you are hungry, that you are letting God down, because you are going against His word! I felt guilty all the time! I know of some that liked it, but I did not. I know that I should eat when I'm hungry and quit eating when I am full, but I don't want to feel like I am always sinning if I eat a little something in between! She also states that if you are not hungry at breakfast, then do not eat breakfast, etc. I now know that I should eat 5-6 small meals a day to keep my body burning, that is not what she teaches. Anyway, that's my two cents worth on it!!
  • momimouse
    Options
    Yes. I went through this diet program. I never went to the meetings, only read the book. I know some people have negative things to say and even though I don't agree with all her spiritual teaching(specifically the teachings on the Trinity) if I'm being honest I was very a happy with this diet. I actually lost over 80 pounds 9 years ago before I had my son. Even though the weight loss was wonderful, I learned alot about myself, about God and about giving things over to him. It brought me much closer to Him.

It depends on what you want out of a diet, but it's not a bad diet. Just make sure you stay true to your spiritual beliefs. I think if you do follow this diet, it's important to just use good common sense. The best message out of the diet(besides the spiritual stuff) is to eat only when your hungry. I've found that true now as well. It's just good common sense!
  • becomingsara
    Options
    I went through this also, and I do not recommend it. She makes you believe (at least in my opinion) that if you eat anytime other than when you are hungry, that you are letting God down, because you are going against His word! I felt guilty all the time! I know of some that liked it, but I did not. I know that I should eat when I'm hungry and quit eating when I am full, but I don't want to feel like I am always sinning if I eat a little something in between! She also states that if you are not hungry at breakfast, then do not eat breakfast, etc. I now know that I should eat 5-6 small meals a day to keep my body burning, that is not what she teaches. Anyway, that's my two cents worth on it!!

EXACTLY.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'll jump in with just this age old critique about the word "diet." It's a no-no around here-- we're not on diets. We're changing our lives, changing our eating habits. A diet implies a beginning and an end, as they say-- I can never stop eating the way I've learned to eat-- namely count calories, wise choices, common sense and moderation-- and keep my butt moving in exercise.

I have no knowledge of the weigh down program, but I've been happy, content and successful as a Christian simply by using MFP as my guidance. We all know that as Christians we're called to self control-- in all areas, yes? Including our eating. If the meeting aspect of Weigh Down and the all it entails is helpful, go for it--
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I actually lost 25 lbs on that diet years ago. I didn't like that fact that you never have to worry about what you eat. You can only eat when you are hungry and sometimes that just isn't practically for me. I ended gaining it all back because I never got rid of all the unhealthy food. I just ate small amounts of it. I also think she went off the deep-end with her second book (Holy Spirit). She became very controversial after her second book. I think some of principals are good that you eat when you are hungry. I just want to become healthy in my food choices. The book says you will crave healthy food, but I never did. Now that I have incorporated healthy food into my diet. I still don't crave it, but eat it to improve my health. Hope that helps.
  • BellinghamBelle
    BellinghamBelle Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I did it through my church twice, but it was several years ago. If I'm remembering it correctly, it seemed to be much more of a process to examine your relationship to food and God instead of an actual "eat X calories per day" diet. I remember there was a lot of focus on trying to teach your body to respond to actual hunger pangs and satiety clues vs. eating out of "head hunger." I found it to be very helpful and did lose weight while going through the course.

One of the things that really stuck with me was the concept of eating the best part of your meal first, instead of saving it for last. For example, I used to eat the crust of a piece of pizza first, just to get it out of the way, then really enjoy the cheesy gooey middle. Now I eat my favorite part first and can toss the crust when I'm full without feeling like I have to eat it.

If you believe (as I do) that God is involved in every part of your life - including eating and trying to lose weight - then you might find the program helpful.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my parents did a Weigh Down Workshop awhile back. I don't remember if they lost anything though. Sorry I'm no help!
  • bobball
    bobball Posts: 57
    Options
    I don't do diets...period. I watch my calories and exercise as a way of life. It works and I don't have to diet.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    (Ecclesiastes 2:24) . . .With a man there is nothing better [than] that he should eat and indeed drink and cause his soul to see good because of his hard work. . .
  • rundgrenfan
    Options
    I tried it with no success (just reading the books) and agree with many of the posters above: eat a little of something great, eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full, and ask yourself why you are about to eat. Also, about not worrying about being hungry, that there is plenty of food and time to eat it. But although I am a religious Christian, I found the spiritual parts to be just too much. There were stories in the books about people getting a cupcake and it fell on the floor, so that was God saving them from sinning. I would eat junk just to test my guardian angel, who apparently sucks because it always made its way into my mouth!

Although she would argue that we are all obsessing about food, the accountability here is what I need.