Looking for support

Options
Hi,

My name is Debra and I have a problem with overeating. In my quest to get better one of the things recommended to me is one that I have avoided the most.....support. Sure I have had coaches and such in my dieting career but never have I just asked anyone to support me emotionally. And I don't have anyone I'm comfortable asking in my personal life now.

I just need a place where I can post when I am stressing about food (or life) and get back a a response of a pat on the back, a joke , or even someone telling me to straighten up and get a grip.

Anyone else here that wants to be that kind of buddy?

Deb

PS--I am 50 years old and divorced. No kids but a wonderful cat.

Replies

• madisunbaker
    Options
    of course, that exactly what i need! i know a lot of great groups on MFP that can help you too!

you can join:

Overeaters Anonymous (OA) - this is a group that deals specifically with the topic of overeating and provides great support, success stories, and tricks to outsmart cravings! (i am a member)

Official Support Group- this is a group that is more general and deals with all kinds of weight struggles. it provides tips, inspirational quotes, and motivational messages! (i am a member and the founder!)

both of these groups are positive environments where you can rant about anything and everything supplying weight on your shoulders! feel free to join!
  • KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hi Debra! ! My name is Kim and my weight loss journey began two years ago. I was at my heaviest (225) and things were not good. I couldn't keep up with my kids, I was tired all the time, and my doctor told me that my cholesterol was on the rise! I decided something needed to change. I started walking, and eventually doing some weight training. I am down over 65 pounds! I feel so much better, and I love supporting and encouraging people to do the same. I would be happy to be an accountability partner with you. I still have some weight to lose, so we can work at it together! Getting your nutrition under control is a big key to losing weight. I can share what has worked for me if you are interested. If you work hard, I know you can reach your goal! So what do ya say? Are you in? If so, send me a buddy request!
  • Debra129
    Debra129 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm so experienced at the weight loss and exercise game that I could write books. I have gone up and down from morbidly obese (headed there again now) down to just mildly heavy and completing numerous marathons, bike centuries, and even an Ironman. I loved being an athlete and hate the way I feel now.....I have trouble walking up the steps to my apartment and my knees hurt badly.

I would like to begin to exercise but know I can't until I get some weight off my knees.
  • KeyOfJ
    KeyOfJ Posts: 9
    Options
    Like walking at an slight elevation can help strengthen your knees. I cannot run due to bad knees and my current weight. But the doctor said walking at an incline is just as helpful as running.
  • LilKip
    LilKip Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi!!! Im Dayna, Im a comfort eater, I have no selfcontrol, and I also have bad knees (had a recon on my right at 15)
    Im also a venter. would love some more friends!!
  • kadsmaller
    kadsmaller Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Here is the place to get the support you need. I am still very new and do not know about all the various groups yet, but I do know that there are terrific people here who encourage me with the greatest kindness, even if I need some gentle pushing and prodding it is done kindly here. Please stay. Do the work (recording your meals) and anything else which is recommended to help you. It does work.

Warm regards.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hi Debra - I am same age as you with sore knees. I have been treadmilling on an incline in socks to build up my leg strength. If you have run marathons in the past, you can do this! Please send a friend request if you want to trade rants and encouragement.