I have the flu and I'm not sure what to eat!

Options
Maqneta
Maqneta Posts: 388 Member
I'm really sick to the point where if I try to stand up I basically throw up (So that means walking is going to be great fun)
basically been drinking cups of Green tea and water all day. had to skip breakfast because I couldn't keep the yogurt down (Sorry for the mental image)

any tips?

Replies

• psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of fluids and rest as much as you can.

Try to eat some dry toast if you're able to, or some soup.

feel better soon
  • Maqneta
    Maqneta Posts: 388 Member
    Options

feel better soon

been drinking a ton of tea and water
    thank you! :3
  • Kamirose9047
    Options
    You need to replenish your electrolytes, frequent vomiting can really mess them up.

See if you can get some gatorade (send a friend if you don't think you can get it yourself). Drink it watered down - two parts water to one part gatorade.

Also, broth. Do you have any boullion cubes in the house?

If you can't keep anything down, including fluids, for more than a day, you should get to a hospital.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    If you live alone it's time to phone a friend.

Clear soup. Some dry toast/plain crackers. Gatorade or powerade. Plain rice steamed or boiled rice (salted if you can).
  • katrana
    katrana Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you are throwing up like that, it is probably NOT the flu, but more likely something like a norovirus.

Try the BRAT diet: Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast, along with clear soup/diluted juice/gatorade for electrolytes. Saltines are good too.
  • bedwellchris
    bedwellchris Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Exactly what I was going to say. Yogurt is not the thing to eat. Been there, done that. :sick:
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    What I usually do is dry toast(light butter if I can handle it on the toast), broth based soups, water based vegetables like cucumber and zucchini because it gives you nutrients, avoid cream based things, drink juices if you can like tomato juice or V8, gatorade is your best friend, and bouillon. Bouillon has saltiness which eases the nausea.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I actually just had the stomach flu this past week for a day! Same issue.
    Clear fluids are the way to go. Chicken broth, ginger ale, ect are all good options. If you start feeling a bit better, you can try some soup as well.
  • FergusonDCF
    Options
    Chicken soup, rest, and more chicken soup.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I swear by greek yoghurt. Add some seasoning to it to spice it up once you feel a bit better.

The Total strained greek yoghurt seems to work the best.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

feel better soon

+1. I hope you feel better soon. Being sick is no fun. :flowerforyou:
  • cookn_mama
    cookn_mama Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Clear fluids, no caffeine, no carbonated beverages. BRAT diet. Bread, rice, applesauce, toast. just keep the fluids going.
  • wendy0210
    wendy0210 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    In addition to the helpful responses, I'd add Pedialyte to the list. I was really sick a few years ago and couldn't keep the Gatorade down either, so resorted to Pedialyte. Not the best tasting thing, but it helped. Hopefully you'll feel better soon.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Don't eat anything when vomiting, once you haven't vomited for several hours you can start with bland foods.
  • Dalker
    Dalker Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you are vomiting frequently stick to fluids. Once it starts to settle go for bland foods.

My rule: Always go for the foods that are going to be the least unpleasant if they come back up.