Help me to simplify weight training

Options
I feel like an idiot when trying to pick up a weight. I am not a fitness guru or a bodybuilder so I feel like I don't belong in a weight room and like I am just a loser for trying. I know I am not alone in thinking this and please do not be offended by my remarks, this is just what I tell/think to myself.

I am just so confused with how many moves to do, I have seen beginner strength training with 4-5 exercises and beginner strength training with 8-12 exercises. I am simply looking to build some strength and reduce some all around fat without losing weight (I am 164 and 5'10, maybe I would like to lose a few pounds but my main priority is strength and developing some muscle definition). I have seen a few sites that all say to keep it basic and stick to 1 exercise for each muscle group. Example: 1 for legs, 1 for chest, 1 for triceps, 1 for biceps, 1 for shoulders and 1 for back. This is the one that appeals to me the most:

Tuesday:
-Squats
-Bench Press
-Bent Over Dumbbell Rows
-Lateral Raises
-Kick Backs
-Back Extensions

Thursday:
-Lunges
-Pull Downs
-Military Press
- Front Raise
-Kick Backs
-Back Extensions

Saturday (Repeat Tuesday's exercise routine, every other week switch between 2x's a week doing Tuesday routine and 1x a week doing Thursday routine, next week do Thursday's routine 2x's a week and Tuesdays 1x a week)

I am just worried that this seems too simple as on other sites I see these really huge, ripped, muscular men/women who have individual days for each muscle group and I am confused if I shouldn't be doing that?

The other exercise I do is cardio of some sort 5 days a week which is usually walking 5 k, stationary biking or soon I will be adding incline walking on the treadmill and do 45-60 minutes of cardio 4-5 days a a week.

Replies

• landgal22
    landgal22 Posts: 1
    Options
    If you have an iphone you can try iPersonalTrainer. It will set you up with a workout and show you video of proper form. There may be something similar for other phones too. But this one saved me from feeling awkward.
  • Toomestwin
    Toomestwin Posts: 40
    Options
    Couple things that helped me to keep it simple:
    Rome wasn't built in a day; so be patient. Sticking to the basics is the best way to start out. Exercises such as squats, bench press and deadlifts do more for your body than any "specialized" exercises such as curls or kickbacks. Concentrate on form and you'll be on your way.

Second thing: the key to muscle definition is in the kitchen. You need to figure out the right combination of proteins, carbs and fats that work for your body. Key thing that helped me: stick to natural foods and avoid processed foods. Protein supplements are great if you use them as supplements and not as "meals."

Lastly: eat to fuel your body, lift to tear down your muscles and sleep to build. Good sleep is essential!

Good luck.

Hope this helps.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    If you want to build overall strength I'd recommend Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. Compound movements give you more bang for your buck.
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Look good, most times simpler = better

You might add in deadlift traditional or stiff legged deadlift once a week
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Cut the fluff and simplify. Practice the "5 movements" ala Dan John

Push
    Pull
    Squat
    Hinge
    Loaded Carry

http://danjohn.net/

Lots of good stuff there.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    If you want to build overall strength I'd recommend Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. Compound movements give you more bang for your buck.

^ This. No need to create your own program. Get on a solid newbie program like one of the above. Also, go to bodybuilding.com and look at the form videos.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Biggest thing I can tell you is that people try to complicate things and get fancy with their training. It isn't needed.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm following "Starting Strength" as my DH and I are doing this together. I always feel awkward when starting something new with an audience. Kick boxing had a HUGE audience! What to do?

FAKE IT. Seriously, fake it. Step up, do the best you can and act like you're there for a reason. After awhile you will know what you are doing and build up some respect that way! Don't be intimidated! You CAN do this!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Don't try to write your own program, and stay away from magazines. You need a novice strength training program that focuses on progressive overload. The hard part will be to consistently follow the program, and that's on you. But if you do, you will make fantastic progress over time. Good luck.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Do you work out at home or in a gym? I am guessing from your post, that you go to a gym.

That doesn't really matter though. I started strength training using Chalean Extreme. It is a 90 day program focusing on using heavy dumbbells. I had good results with it, but got a little bored. I made myself finish it and moved on.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

I used this workout after. I have been using it since around August or September of last year. I haven't lost any weight, but in the first 5-6 months using it, I have lost an additional jean size. If you go to a gym, it would be easy to print and take with you, but there are videos to show you proper from. You can use this to learn the form and get comfortable with weights, then move on to a bar and rack later. Of course when you do, you will probably have to go lighter again to learn form with a bar.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The complicated splits are helpful for advanced lifters, or people fine-tuning their physique. If you're just starting out, you'll make better progress with a proven beginner strength program. Here are 5 good ones:

Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5
    New Rules of Lifting
    all-pro beginner
    Strong Curves

At first, they're all pretty simple, but some of them get more complicated in later weeks. After you've built a good strength foundation with one of these, you can move on to a program more in line with your advanced goals.

I like New Rules of Lifting books for the background material, Starting Strength for the descriptions of technique, and the Stronglifts program to actually do.
  • daver10
    daver10 Posts: 3
    Options
    I would second the advice given, it's tried and tested