Ladies did the "change" change you?

Options
I feel super sensitive about this and don't have any females in my family to ask. I think I am starting the "change" my mom passed when I was young and have no sisters or any older female relatives to ask. I am 46, never had children, extremely active and hold a very stressful job. why that info?, no idea maybe this is all stress related??

for the first time EVER had two cycles in one month. saying I panicked is putting it mildly. Co workers (women) said "Ah welcome the change" I push myself very hard and have the fitness portion of my journey down pat. I struggle with eating enough and know that is my problem with my stalled weight loss. I am 5" 130 lbs. I do Les Mills Combat, Les Mills Pump, Turbo Fire and Insanity in random rotations 6 days a week. I put in at least 60 minutes of cardio a day and aim for 1600 calories but NEVER get there without feeling soooooooooo full. I am sure that's why my scale doesn't go down.

anyway, how will the "Change" effect me. co workers (none of whom workout aside from journeying to the vending machine at work) have said now my metabolism will turn off and the FAT will come on with a vengeance. I am terrified now.

can anyone give me insight, their story, help, opinion, tell me they are full of crap??? I am looking for any advice you can give.

shell

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I think two cycles in one month is hardly enough evidence to declare menopause. That could be attributed to many things, including stress. I do think you need to make an effort to hit your calorie goal with the amount of activity you are doing. Undereating also impacts the metabolism and slows it down over time.
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I am sure there are many women who do not gain weight immediately following menopause. My mom and my aunt were fit to the ends of their lives, for example, (and incidentally neither exercised.)
    It may cause random sensations of being overheated, with sweating and flushing, unrelated to your activity level. I believe there is some evidence the consumption of soy products reduces the occurrence of these symptoms.
    I may be wrong but I believe if you maintain your activity and intake levels, menopause alone will not cause you any weight gain.