5'6 or 5'7", around 155 pounds, how many calories?

Options
I was hoping to see what others around my size were eating? I did have my calories set at 1300 for a while, but changed it to 1500 a few weeks ago... I lost in the beginning, but now I am at a stand still.

I think I only want to get down to about 145, so not much further to go, but I have been slowly creeping up lately.

Is it possible that 1500 is too much for me because it makes me scared of what my maintenance will be!

Replies

• vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Have you calculated your RMR/BMR using a standard approved formula?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate
  • embclark
    embclark Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I work in a school, so nothing too active. Five days a week I ride a stationary bike with moderate resistance for an hour as well as chasing around a 4 year old while I am home. I have thyroid issues that have been properly medicated for about a year now... Who knows what that means for my metabolism though!
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on how athletic you are built and how much you work out and how hard you work out. I'm 5'5 and a half and my goal is usually around 1600-1700 and I went from 155 to 145. I upped it to 1700 FROM 1600 to try to get 5 more pounds down. I always eat my full amount of calories and when I eat 1400 or less I don't lose any weight at all. The more I work out, the more I need to eat to lose weight and I put in a solid 5 or 6 tough, one hour cardio or interval sessions every week. Friend me if you would like to ;)
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Just saw that you were the post above me with more details- Try to vary the difficulty and speed on your bike rides during each ride as it may help you to burn more calories if you can make it more interval-like than riding and watching a show or something. Don't eat less - 1500 is good for now but honestly you could probably go even higher and be fine. You lose the last few pounds VERY slowly and I'm in the same boat right now. Happy Mother's Day btw!!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    You should really measure your food because you may be eating more than you think. I'm not just talking about the measuring cup, but at least invest in a food scale if you do not have one.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    5'6 42 Years old 155 lb :
    Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) - 1639 calories
    Calories to maintain current weight : 1960 calories
    Calories for 20% reduction ( calories to lose weight) : 1568 calories

To find out the results if you were 5'7 plug your information here:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • embclark
    embclark Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am 32, so my BMR on all the difference sites ends up anywhere from 1450-1500. So I guess I will just stick to it and just starting measuring myself instead of weighing each week...

But I am still interested to know what others around my size eat just for curiosity...
  • Stonekerry
    Stonekerry Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5'6, 197lbs and everyday moderately active. My calories are set to 1500 per day+ exercise on top of that - I usually only eat half exercise calories back.
    I started my first 2 weeks on here on 1200 calories - which was way too low and am happy where I am now - lost 14lbs in total so far over the last 60 days which I am really happy with. FYI - only lost 2lbs the first 2-weeks when I was doing 1200 calories per day - as soon as I increased it the weight started to come off.
    It's a slow process but seems to be part of my life now and the weight is slowly but steadily coming off.
    Hope this helps
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I was hoping to see what others around my size were eating? I did have my calories set at 1300 for a while, but changed it to 1500 a few weeks ago... I lost in the beginning, but now I am at a stand still.

I think I only want to get down to about 145, so not much further to go, but I have been slowly creeping up lately.

Is it possible that 1500 is too much for me because it makes me scared of what my maintenance will be!

If you are looking to lose 10 pounds....set your weekly goal at 1/2 pound. The closer you are to goal the slower you will lose. The closer you are to goal the fewer reserves your body has. This means a smalls calorie deficit so your body can still support lean muscle.

I would look up my BMR & TDEE......a 1/2 pound per week loss would be a 250 calorie deficit from your TDEE

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

I was gonna suggest the same.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6", 160 pounds, and lose weight eating 1600-1700 calories a day.

Weight loss isn't linear, so you may not lose weight as steadily as you might like to, and you may have days or weeks where your weight goes up a bit or stays the same. I've gone 2+ weeks without losing anything, and I've had weeks where I lose more than I should, but it all balances out over time.

Stick to your plan for a few more weeks. If your weight stays the same, then you may need to adjust. And as mentioned above, if you don't have a food scale, get one. It makes a big difference. :smile:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am 5 ft 7, weight 156lbs and I eat on average 1700-1800 a day currently

I try not to put to much emphasis on the scale number...
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Some others mentioned it, but I'm going to mention it again...you must log very accurately with a food scale and measure liquids. Seems this comes into play more the closer one is to goal weight. I am 41, 5'7", 183, and as you can see from my ticker, I've been pretty successful losing weight on 1800-1900 cal a day average (I'm now using more of a TDEE - % method than straight up MFP and eating back exercise cal method). I do use a food scale and weigh things out so I know my logging is fairly accurate.
  • alyssa_6481
    alyssa_6481 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and 155lbs.
    I eat around 1500 calories/day but work a desk job. I generally workout 3-5 days a week including walking, jogging, and weight lifting. I also keep active with yard work, gardening, and horse training. Really, you need to figure out what your body likes and what works for you. My suggestion, be brutally honest with yourself and write everything down. As exhausting as kids can be...are you really running around chasing him or (like some people I know) sitting on the couch screaming at him and then complaining about how much you run around after your 4 year old. (Not saying you do this, just saying I have seen it).
  • andrealovesmartin
    Options
    Since I was a chip I was obese. but when I remember what kind of food I was raised on, I ate home cooked meals. Olive oil, veggies, lean meat, low fat etc. My parents must have slow metabolism but they are very thin and they eat like birds...literally. If I eat 1,000 calories a day I literally GAIN. My mom knows this and warns me that this runs in her family.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    embclark wrote: »

I am your height and 126 pounds. My TDEE is about 2500 and I am losing about .5 pounds a week at 2250 calories until I reach my goal weight.

If you are not happy with your calorie goal, then exercise more!
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    you should be able to lose on 1700 tbh
  • laurenward1990
    laurenward1990 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am 5 ft 7, weighing 157lbs (currently but this fluctuates a lot!).

My body burns around 1500 calories a day (that's my BMR - Basic Metabolic Rate) just for living, because I work in an office and do very little exercise.

So I find it hard to lose weight unless i'm eating less than that number, usually try to stick to 1200kcals a day.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I am 5 ft 7, weighing 157lbs (currently but this fluctuates a lot!).

My body burns around 1500 calories a day (that's my BMR - Basic Metabolic Rate) just for living, because I work in an office and do very little exercise.

So I find it hard to lose weight unless i'm eating less than that number, usually try to stick to 1200kcals a day.
    even if you're sedentary you burn more than your bmr, just sitting on the couch etc you'd burn more, bmr is what you'd burn if you were literally in a coma, you're supposed to multiply bmr x 1.2 to get maintenance if you're sedentary