Another dumb reason maintenance is hard

Options
nxd10
nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
(she says after saying for months that it's not)

If you are over 500 calories a day while losing weight, you'll just stall because you've just lost your deficit.

If you are over 500 calories a day on MAINTENANCE you're going to gain. No deficit to buffer you.

It may obvious to everyone else, but it wasn't to me.

Replies

• AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I stay in deficit but less of one to maintain as I often may go over a bit to have some pie or something like that.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    :)

Live and learn! It sounds like you've got it now at least op!
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    That's why I still log every day -- because some rare days I'm over and most days I'm right on or slightly under. It's almost like I can tell what the scale is going to say at the end of each week. It's not magic, it's maintenance. You can DO IT -- just keep and eye on things. You can correct a 500 calorie splurge in the same week with some extra healthy eating or some extra exercise.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I stay in deficit but less of one to maintain as I often may go over a bit to have some pie or something like that.

This is why I have not yet notified MFP that I hit my goal. I am playing mind games with myself. It's worked for 6 months, now.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    ugh, not really looking forward to that lol. Going to stay in deficit forever lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Heck I'm still trying to lose but have mostly been maintaining for 2 months as it is. I'll probably stick to my 250 calorie deficit forever, lol.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    this is why im planning on perma-cutting
    that way i can go ham on the weekends and still be in the clear
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's what worries me about maintenance - it's so precise! I suppose what you are talking about is how I gained in the first place. It didn't feel like I was eating much, but you just need to be a little bit over on most days.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

If you are over 500 calories a day while losing weight, you'll just stall because you've just lost your deficit.

If you are over 500 calories a day on MAINTENANCE you're going to gain. No deficit to buffer you.

you'll gain a couple of ounces... thats all.... this is why you should have a maintenance RANGE and not one figure... because you have fluctuations, and one day you migh eat a little bit more, but then the next you can just eat a little bit less...

maintenance isnt bad OR SCARY... more food is GOOD!
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Maintenance is nearly impossible, with it you gain or lose, some days your more active than others, but what about the weekends, are you just as active?
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    This is why I eat at a deficit Mon-Thurs. Bank a few calories for the weekend...
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options

This is why I have not yet notified MFP that I hit my goal. I am playing mind games with myself. It's worked for 6 months, now.
    Congrats on hitting your goal!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

you'll gain a couple of ounces... thats all.... this is why you should have a maintenance RANGE and not one figure... because you have fluctuations, and one day you migh eat a little bit more, but then the next you can just eat a little bit less...

Exactly!!

Please everyone stop obsessing about tiny fluctuations - maintenance is for months and years not days and weekends.
    It's about eating habits and correct portion sizes for life, not the odd day or weekend here or there.

I'm on holiday next week and will no doubt gain a whole load of weight, some of it will be fat. In the great scheme of things - so what?

When I get back in my routine after my holiday I will lose it again. Might take a couple of weeks, maybe three but does it really matter?
    Be conscious of your weight and trends but not obsessed to the degree it stops you living your life.
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I still have about 15lbs to hit my goal, but my thinking is the same as husseycd eat at a deficit during the week so I can splurge on the weekends.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Heck I'm still trying to lose but have mostly been maintaining for 2 months as it is. I'll probably stick to my 250 calorie deficit forever, lol.

This is totally me. I figure I will eventually reach my goal though it will probably take me 5 years BUT. I'm OK with that.. I LIKE food, I LIKE eating food. At this point I am just not willing to do what I have to do to keep losing weight at a faster pace - I know this, and so it does not bother me.

I'm going to buy a pair of the tightest jeans I can fit into and IF I go past being able to fit them it will be back to a deficit for me! My boyfriend does this and he has been the exact same size since high school! It's a great idea and it will allow for a range of about 5 lbs when I'm in maintenance.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Sorry for the detour out of topic but.. Francl27 you look stunning in that dress. Where did you get it? Simple yet so flattering.

Back to business. Maintenance IS hard.. at least when you are at a deficit you have a larger range to work within, as you can eat anywhere between 1200 and your maintenance calories and still lose some weight. During maintenance your range is pretty tight..
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

I have been on maintenance for a year and I've found it easy (hear that guys EASY!). I do log every day. Moving up and down doesn't bother me (I stay in a 3 pound range). I love food and haven't been hungry, despite all the young, active, gym bunny posters here who say it would be impossible to live on what MFP tells me is an accurate representation of my calorie needs. (BTW, the reason I gained weight is that I never had to worry about it until after age 50 when my calorie needs really did plummet and my eating stayed the same.

But I was traveling abroad for work last week and logging like I always do. I realized that I was over several days (unusual for me). And realized that this wasn't in my 'deficit' zone but in my 'gain' zone because I'm in maintenance. Now, I do have a technical deficit of 250 calories because that seems to be what keeps my weight stable. But that is only technical, as I AM stable at that weight.

I'm not worried about the long term gain, I just found the insight interesting. I did show a few more pounds on the scale when I got back, but I always do when I fly. I have been not at all hungry since I've arrived home, followed my (literal) gut and ate way under just because that's what my hunger signals were telling me to do, and I'm sure the water weight I gained on the flight will disappear in a few days. It always does.
  • salvyhead
    salvyhead Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It helps me to think of the weekly number and not obsess over the daily. I can eat over goal one day as long as I make up for it the next six. As long as my weekly number is where it needs to be, I maintain.
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm set at a 200ish deficit. This lets me deal with any weekend splurges or miscalculations that might occur, and I've been pretty spot on weight wise for about 2 months now.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options

Yup... otherwise known as "*kitten* just got real." Precision is more important for maintenance than it is for weight loss.