Anyone?

Options
Hi friends!

Ive been doing a a lot of cardio lately- mostly elliptical and biking.

However;

when I work out on the elliptical for example, I enter my weight and it calculates calories for me. But when I enter it in MFP its different. The bike is the same way. I will put it on level seven and go for 30 minutes and the machine and MFP (even when I say I was biking with little effort) are completely different.

MFP always says I burn more than the machines say I do.

Which should I listen to? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• sbetts2229
    sbetts2229 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You can manually change the entry to match your numbers.
  • xPeacefulx
    xPeacefulx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If i were you id probley just go with whatever one is lower ( even though you might of burned more calories) just to be on the safe side :)
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Go with the lower number
  • tturley
    tturley Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Go with MFP. For me it tends to be pretty close to the calories burned based on HR calculations. The machines usually don't ask you your weight or age and that makes a big difference.

If you're just wanting the lowest number then subtract 127 from whatever value you want. :-)
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I always find that MFP overestimates my calorie burns. I would put in what the machine says, or if you plan to get a HRM, I would just used those calcs.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Both overestimate by quite a bit. If you want the most accurate count, you should use a heart rate monitor. If you cannot afford one, I would go with the lower number and eat back part of the exercise calories, probably 75% at most.