HRM Bluetooth strap or not?

Options
I'm in the market for a HRM. I'm looking at the polar ft4 or just getting a bluetooth strap that links with my phone.
In my technical head, bluetooth only because it seems like it would simplify the process linking directly to my app. On the other hand if I don't have my phone on me, or the battery is dead or whatever I won't be able to use it. So I lean toward the ft4 and manually inputting my info.
Anyone have pros or cons for either route?

Replies

• maQmIgh
    maQmIgh Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have Runtastics Bluetooth HRM, I love the fact that I dont need to connect it directly to my phone (I hate cables :( )

But you are quite right... Its VERY frustraiting when your out on a walk/run and you hit your mile to hear the app say distance and time but no hear rate just to find the battery died.

If they made a HRM with a rechargable battery (which included a charge indicator) that would be PERFECT :)

As I understand it, most HRM out there are pretty much the same, so you just need to do your research and find which one suits you the best :)
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I actually have both and use them for different purposes. It depends on what you're doing. Bottom line, if you monitor your HR frequently throughout your exercise, go with the watch version. Otherwise, use the bluetooth. That being said, you can typically find watch/strap versions for very little on craigslist, so it's easy to supplement a bluetooth.

WATCH / STRAP
    + Best for making sure you are exercising in a given exertion range. Easier to check your wrist than a phone.
    + Waterproof versions allow you to go swimming.
    + Straps can often sync with treadmills/ellipticals so you can use the machine to see where you are.
    + Can use exercise app (interval timer, workout routine, etc) and still monitor current HR
    - Tough to hear zone alerts if you use headphones
    - Often times don't have user replaceable batteries, meaning you have to send it away
    - A full feature set is typically expensive

BLUETOOTH
    + Best for tracking exertion levels specifically over an exercise period
    + Can provide very detailed information about time spent in various zones, HRM graph, linking HR to speed/elevation, etc
    + A multitude of apps to provide the information/experience you want
    - Tough to get current HR information while moving
    - Requires phone be charged enough to make it through the exercise
    - You can't use an app such as an Interval Timer and see your HR at the same time
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I actually have both and use them for different purposes. It depends on what you're doing. Bottom line, if you monitor your HR frequently throughout your exercise, go with the watch version. Otherwise, use the bluetooth. That being said, you can typically find watch/strap versions for very little on craigslist, so it's easy to supplement a bluetooth.

WATCH / STRAP
    + Best for making sure you are exercising in a given exertion range. Easier to check your wrist than a phone.
    + Waterproof versions allow you to go swimming.
    + Straps can often sync with treadmills/ellipticals so you can use the machine to see where you are.
    + Can use exercise app (interval timer, workout routine, etc) and still monitor current HR
    - Tough to hear zone alerts if you use headphones
    - Often times don't have user replaceable batteries, meaning you have to send it away
    - A full feature set is typically expensive

BLUETOOTH
    + Best for tracking exertion levels specifically over an exercise period
    + Can provide very detailed information about time spent in various zones, HRM graph, linking HR to speed/elevation, etc
    + A multitude of apps to provide the information/experience you want
    - Tough to get current HR information while moving
    - Requires phone be charged enough to make it through the exercise
    - You can't use an app such as an Interval Timer and see your HR at the same time

Unless you connect a bluetooth HRM to a non-Polar watch ... i.e. a H7 HRM strap with a TomTom GPS watch. Many phone based apps also provide the option for voice feedback which eliminates the need to look at the device at all during the workout ... just listen.