Need food ideas!!

Options
2»

Replies

• tawnywest
    tawnywest Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I make two different soups and eat them at lunch time with cottage cheese added. One is a spinach soup made with one package of frozen spinach, 2 stalks of celery, 2 carrots, 1 leek, garlic and curry and chili powder. The other soup is Borscht. It's made with grated beets,onions, carrots and grated cabbage (I just buy a package of cole slaw and add it.) You can eat as much of these soups as you want and you're getting a lot of nutrients. Plus if they are in your fridge you can just microwave a serving when you're hungry and add different condiments. The spinach soup was a recipe from a weight loss business here many years ago called "The Weight Loss Clinic". Also in the freezer section of the grocery store you can buy bags of frozen skinless, boneless, chicken breasts. I boil several of these and then dice them up for salad with 1/2 of an avocado, greens, etc. I've never enjoyed "diet" food so much.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Tuna can be used in a lot of different ways....casseroles, helpers etc BUT the healthy ways are with Veggies.
    Use tuna as a stuffer/filling for veggies like Celery, Avocados, Peppers etc.
    Besides making Tuna fish sandwiches using bread, pita, English muffins, tortillas etc, buy a head of lettuce and you can make a salad and add the tuna OR wash some leaves and put the tuna in it and enjoy it as a roll up!
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Hey kilgore67, does your recipe need cooking? Or does the oatmeal get soft from sitting in the wet ingredients. I like this idea. I love oatmeal but I'm never up in time in the morning before work to make it!:yawn:

LOL...I was just thinking the same!
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Spagetti squash! It tastes great and easy to prep... Just cut in half, clean out seeds, rub with olive oil and bake for 30 min... While its in the oven heat up about 8 to 12 oz of sauce (add garlic and whatever you like to it). I will usually dice up tomatoes and throw them in a small fry pan with a little olive oil... They usually cook down by the time the squash is done ;) ...Once the squash is cooked, shred it with a fork... You will see it break into strands just like spagetti... mix in the sauce, throw some cheese on top and throw it under the broiler to melt the cheese... DONE!... AND you can eat it right out of the shell, no plate to wash! Very easy in my book...

I also suggest buying wraps... I get the whole grain ones from Costco... lots of fiber and low carb... I usually bake 2 or 3 chicken breasts at a time and keep them in the fridge, sliced... throw them on a wrap with some cheese ( I use Kraft fat free cheddar), salad and a sprinkle of Ms. Dash (several different mixes with no sodium... I like the lime one best)... I do the same with eye round roast too... I will cook a roast and slice it up... leaves me with enough for about 4 or 5 wraps, also good with cheese and some horseradish... You can also whip up some tuna or chicken salad, just make it with a little yogurt, fat free sour cream and some mustard instead of Mayo with the onion and celery... A different taste, but very good!!

Oatmeal is always a good quick breakfast idea... You can always add fresh or frozen bluberries to it or just a little honey.... I will have egg whites and cheese on a wrap (told ya I love them! lol) and will sometimes add some Mrs. Dash to them too ( Gotta love free flavor!)

I hope this helps a little!!

Just wondering, is this a specific squash....like is that what its called or just any kind made like spaghetti?
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options

It does taste kind of Earthy, but the chia seeds in it make it super filling. If you try it, double the water it calls for and make sure you drink it fast because it does congeal quickly.
    tumblr_inline_mqby08fotG1qz4rgp_zpsa9e0ef53.gif
  • whydoesitmatter2
    whydoesitmatter2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    some of my fav quick meals are:
    100 calorie Chobani with 1/4 cup NF cottage cheese mixed together (lots of protein)
    2 eggs scrambled w/ 1-2 handfulls chopped spinach (or other veggies)
    frozen banana, 1 cup Skim milk & protien powder
    overnight oats; 1/3 cup oats 1/2 cup Skim milk 1 scoop chia seeds.. add sugar and cinnamon in the morning

Sandwiches w/ turkey, spinach, lowfat mayo
    Fat free refried beans w/ corn tortillas and salsa
    Avacado milkshake; 1/4 avacado, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp coco powde,r 3/4 cup skim handful of ice

dinner is what ever… I have 7 kids and a husband so I just cook what they want & count the calories

treats:
    Stoneyfield chocolate frozen yogurt 100 calories 1/2 cup
    dark chocolate (Lindt) and PB2