What is P90X?

Options
I see a lot of people mentioning it in their posts....what is it!?

Replies

• mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    http://www.beachbody.com/p90x

Awesome I'm about to start my 3rd round with P90X+
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    It is a 90 day boot camp type exercise program.....When followed properly you should be crazy buff at the end of the 90 days....It includes 12 workout videos and a diet to go with it includes waitlifting, yoga, kick boxing, several other videos.....It is an as seen on tv thing....I am on my second round of it.
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Now we know you don't watch much TV! iT'S a info commicial that promotes high intensity exercises,that raise heart rate thus burns and increases motabolisum which helps to burn fat quicker...Good for you that your not a couch potato!:wink: Google PX90 FOR MORE INFO...
  • ItsNatastic
    ItsNatastic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm part way through week 4 and I love it! Super intense and fast paced workouts. I've lost inches and gained a ton of upper body strength already. :)
  • jpowers416
    jpowers416 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Now we know you don't watch much TV! iT'S a info commicial that promotes high intensity exercises,that raise heart rate thus burns and increases motabolisum which helps to burn fat quicker...Good for you that your not a couch potato!:wink: Google PX90 FOR MORE INFO...

Hah well now I feel like I've been living under a rock! But you're right, I don't watch much tv. I like books better, especially I can read while I'm on the treadmill at the gym ;) I'll have to look it up though, I just saw someone's success story who used it and they look AMAZING!
  • SeanMurphy
    Options
    Anything that motivates someone to get off the couch and do something is better than not, and P90X does deliver decent results, as a cross of cardio and strength training. That said, it is pricey for essentially an exercise video. I'd recommend finding a sport you like before that, but it's definitely a product that works if you follow it. Keep in mind that it is a brutal workout. I'm fairly fit, and I tried it for a while, and for the first week, there wasn't a day I wasn't sore. Just when you think you're done a workout, Tony makes you do it all over again.
  • mzenzer
    Options
    At $140 for actually 12 DVD's, not just a "workout video", it's scant more than the cost of a good pair of running shoes, and way cheaper than a gym. That being said you'll need some dumbells or you can pay a little more and get the bands, and a pullup bar. WIth everything I think I spent around $250 shipped.

Yes there really isn't a lot of magic to it, it's just old fashioned working out, but the way it's structured it takes the thinking out of it which is where a lot of people fail, because they don't see the results they want and start questioning what they are doing. WIth P90X, as they say, all you have to do is show up and push play. Tony Horton is a good motivator and not annoying like some of these video trainers can be, and the way they switch up the workouts it keeps you from getting bored. I now have all the equipment I need, I did buy a $200 smartweight set, but I've cancelled my gym membership and haven't looked back since and at this point I'm saving a ton of money. Just do it you will not regret it.

Lastly, the workouts are only as brutal as you want them to be. You don't have to keep up with the trainers, as they say all the time "do your best and forget the rest". They provide you with workout sheets to track your progress so if you do say legs and back and find you can't walk without looking like you have a stick up your butt, then take it a little easier the next time. It's doesn't have to kill you.

The 90 in P90X stands for 90 days, but I already realize that this way of working out can easily be modified to be a permanent routine. Good luck.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    At $140 for actually 12 DVD's, not just a "workout video", it's scant more than the cost of a good pair of running shoes, and way cheaper than a gym. That being said you'll need some dumbells or you can pay a little more and get the bands, and a pullup bar. WIth everything I think I spent around $250 shipped.

Yes there really isn't a lot of magic to it, it's just old fashioned working out, but the way it's structured it takes the thinking out of it which is where a lot of people fail, because they don't see the results they want and start questioning what they are doing. WIth P90X, as they say, all you have to do is show up and push play. Tony Horton is a good motivator and not annoying like some of these video trainers can be, and the way they switch up the workouts it keeps you from getting bored. I now have all the equipment I need, I did buy a $200 smartweight set, but I've cancelled my gym membership and haven't looked back since and at this point I'm saving a ton of money. Just do it you will not regret it.

Lastly, the workouts are only as brutal as you want them to be. You don't have to keep up with the trainers, as they say all the time "do your best and forget the rest". They provide you with workout sheets to track your progress so if you do say legs and back and find you can't walk without looking like you have a stick up your butt, then take it a little easier the next time. It's doesn't have to kill you.

The 90 in P90X stands for 90 days, but I already realize that this way of working out can easily be modified to be a permanent routine. Good luck.

What a great summary! You nailed it.
    Risa
  • SeanMurphy
    Options
    I didn't mean to deride the product that much. I guess I'd rather spend $140 on a good pair of running shoes, and use the massive amounts of free home workout information and videos available on the internet. www.scoobysworkshop.com is great. He's a bodybuilder who provides free nutritional, instructional and motivational information. Workouts, exercises, and routines are all available, for free, from his website. He has much the same philosophy as I do. Anything that gets you off the couch is great, but why spend money you don't have to?
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options

Very well said. However you did leave one very important thing out. P90X also comes with a nutritional guide. Which basically spells out exactly how, what and why you should be eating during the 90 days. P90X completely changed my families lives. My kids love Tony Horton and ask all the time if they can do a work out with me (I only let them do plyometrics, or kenpo X).

Hope this helps,
    Stu
  • mzenzer
    Options
    Yes you are right I should have pointed that out as well. Nutrition has always been a focus of mine so it comes rather natural so I haven't really taken full advantage of the nutritional information at Beachbody other than really just figuring out a balance and what my intake needs to be, and frankly since I've found MFP I like this better. I know what to eat, it's how much I eat is the problem. My diet is uber healthy and has been for years I just plain eat too much. Anyway, I think all this will be enough for the original poster to make an informed decision, and hopefully we'll have someone else ready to "Bring It!".

[/quote]
    Very well said. However you did leave one very important thing out. P90X also comes with a nutritional guide. Which basically spells out exactly how, what and why you should be eating during the 90 days. P90X completely changed my families lives. My kids love Tony Horton and ask all the time if they can do a work out with me (I only let them do plyometrics, or kenpo X).

Hope this helps,
    Stu
    [/quote]