Vegetarian in Need!!

KimSchnizleinWECHANGED
edited September 22 in Recipes
Hi Folks!!

I'm looking for vegetarian recipes that are on the cheap side for ingredients. I'm a Lacto-Ova-Pesci Vegetarian (Dairy, Eggs, Fish) ... This is an old lifestyle that I'm bringing back for another go around! Yes, I am planning to use Seitan, and Tempeh ... But I'm not much of a Tofu lover. Grocery day is tomorrow, and I'd like to keep my grocery bill under $200. for the month. I'm only feeding myself ... No one here but me. I have found some things online, but I'd appreciate any input!! Thanks!!

KIM

Replies

• tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Does that mean you'll eat Dairy, fish and eggs??

I used to eat this one a lot .. http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/recipes/foil-pack-fish-florentine-88770.aspx its easy and cheap
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Hi darling! Vegetarian here. I hate to tell you, but if you eat fish, you aren't a vegetarian. You are what they call a Pescitarian. Vegetarians don't eat any meat, regardless of the reason.

Anyway, I know a ton of awesome sites you can look at that have a ton of veggie options. It's not always easy to eat on the cheap, except you can lean towards more frozen foods which still have quite a bit of nutrients.

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=10718
    http://caloriecount.about.com/mushroom-rice-soup-recipe-r233041
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/sweet_potatoes_with_warm_black_bean_salad.html
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/sweet_potato_red_pepper_pasta.html
    http://webecoist.com/2008/10/28/14-quick-vegetarian-recipes-for-the-hopeless-cook/
  • Hi darling! Vegetarian here. I hate to tell you, but if you eat fish, you aren't a vegetarian. You are what they call a Pescitarian. Vegetarians don't eat any meat, regardless of the reason.

glad someone else said it! :)

and why dont you try vegetariantimes.com? you wont get any fish recipes since they're vegetarian but they actually have a fabulous low cal selection. just search on there for recipes with the "low calorie" setting on and all you'll get will be lower calorie options. and you dont have to buy the brands they suggest, go ahead and buy the cheapest you can find. also keep in mind that produce is WAY cheaper then packaged foods! so veggies are super cheap! :)
  • Hi darling! Vegetarian here. I hate to tell you, but if you eat fish, you aren't a vegetarian. You are what they call a Pescitarian. Vegetarians don't eat any meat, regardless of the reason.

Anyway, I know a ton of awesome sites you can look at that have a ton of veggie options. It's not always easy to eat on the cheap, except you can lean towards more frozen foods which still have quite a bit of nutrients.

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=10718
    http://caloriecount.about.com/mushroom-rice-soup-recipe-r233041
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/sweet_potatoes_with_warm_black_bean_salad.html
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/sweet_potato_red_pepper_pasta.html
    http://webecoist.com/2008/10/28/14-quick-vegetarian-recipes-for-the-hopeless-cook/

Thanks ladies ... I did clarify in the 1st sentence that I eat these other things. Some 'True Vegetarians' would say that you're not a Vegetarian if you eat dairy and eggs either ... But the neologism for that is now Vegan .... In the 70'and 80's those people were just called strict vegetarians. If you're offended by the fact that I use the lable vegetarian ... even clarified ... I apologize. Thanks for the tips.
  • modernfemme
    and why dont you try vegetariantimes.com? you wont get any fish recipes since they're vegetarian but they actually have a fabulous low cal selection.

Oooh, very good tip - thanks. Bookmarked!
  • malpal0111
    malpal0111 Posts: 48 Member
    If we want to get technical about it, you are, indeed, a pescatarian. But who really cares what you call it?!? ANY step, no matter how big or small, that we can make towards healthier lifestyles and reducing our impact on our planet, is AWESOME! So good for you for making the change!

I was particularly interested in protein suggestions for those of us trying to limit our meat intake, and I found this (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/122679-i-need-protien-suggestion-for-a-vegatarian) to be a helpful list.

:flowerforyou:
  • modernfemme
    If we want to get technical about it, you are, indeed, a pescatarian. But who really cares what you call it?!?

It's important to most vegetarians (I know it's important to me) to have that separation. We really go out of our way not to eat any animal life. For people to call themselves vegetarians when they do in fact eat some form of animals is sort of a slap to the face to everything we've done to further the safety of all animals. Doesn't mean that you can't become one, but until you make that extra step, it's simply not the same thing and not the same level of dedication.

Hope that clarifies.
  • If we want to get technical about it, you are, indeed, a pescatarian. But who really cares what you call it?!?

It's important to most vegetarians (I know it's important to me) to have that separation. We really go out of our way not to eat any animal life. For people to call themselves vegetarians when they do in fact eat some form of animals is sort of a slap to the face to everything we've done to further the safety of all animals. Doesn't mean that you can't become one, but until you make that extra step, it's simply not the same thing and not the same level of dedication.

Hope that clarifies.

THIS EXACTLY!

its also a pain when as a small 6 year old vegetarian child in an unfriendly texas meat eating world you go to a party where there is nothing you can eat....your eyes start to well up with tears because your parents have already driven off without knowing that someone once again forgot to make food for you at a party....and then some evil stupid adult who knows nothing tries to comfort you with FISH! and you stop crying and start being angry and tell them "i'm VEGETARIAN. i dont eat meat." then go sulk in a corner and the party is ruined for every one.

but i'm not bitter! XD
  • modernfemme
    its also a pain when as a small 6 year old vegetarian child in an unfriendly texas meat eating world you go to a party where there is nothing you can eat....your eyes start to well up with tears because your parents have already driven off without knowing that someone once again forgot to make food for you at a party....and then some evil stupid adult who knows nothing tries to comfort you with FISH!

Hahahaha! My husband's grandparents look at us like we're aliens because we don't eat meat. It's just sooo not their lifestyle.
  • malpal0111
    malpal0111 Posts: 48 Member
    If we want to get technical about it, you are, indeed, a pescatarian. But who really cares what you call it?!?

Hope that clarifies.

I understand, BUT self-righteousness isn't going to win you any followers. Here's someone asking for suggestions on ways to reduce her meat consumption. Shooting her down for not choosing the correct word to describe her diet isn't exactly the best way to encourage someone to make changes that make our world a better place.
  • modernfemme
    I understand, BUT self-righteousness isn't going to win you any followers. Here's someone asking for suggestions on ways to reduce her meat consumption. Shooting her down for not choosing the correct word to describe her diet isn't exactly the best way to encourage someone to make changes that make our world a better place.

Actually I explained it politely and offered her more help than you did. So... I'm not quite sure what to say.

• Thanks ladies ... I did clarify in the 1st sentence that I eat these other things. Some 'True Vegetarians' would say that you're not a Vegetarian if you eat dairy and eggs either ... But the neologism for that is now Vegan .... In the 70'and 80's those people were just called strict vegetarians. If you're offended by the fact that I use the lable vegetarian ... even clarified ... I apologize. Thanks for the tips.

thanks for the apology. its nit a HUGE issue. its just that most Vegans call themselves vegans these days...and most pescitarians i know call them selves as such. maybe it it just a nit picking thing. but if you read my previous post you can see what comes from pescitarians calling themselves vegetarian. but thats just my traumatizing experience i guess :/
  • its also a pain when as a small 6 year old vegetarian child in an unfriendly texas meat eating world you go to a party where there is nothing you can eat....your eyes start to well up with tears because your parents have already driven off without knowing that someone once again forgot to make food for you at a party....and then some evil stupid adult who knows nothing tries to comfort you with FISH!

Hahahaha! My husband's grandparents look at us like we're aliens because we don't eat meat. It's just sooo not their lifestyle.

mmmmhm. welcome to my world of texas BBQ parties where the only things i can eat are white bread and the cake. XD
  • What I find so interesting is that I came to the Forum looking for recipes that would save me a little grocery money ... And somehow this has turned into an argument about the definition of a Vegetarian. Shouldn't that part of the discussion be taking place in 'Chit-Chat'? Back in the late 60's when Vegetarianism got it's blast to the forefront of society as a fad these same arguments were taking place among 'Strict Vegetarians' and those Vegetarians who consumed dairy and eggs ... But since there is a new neologism for those people ... As I said in an earlier post ... Vegan ... I guess this is where the argument is left to now. I looked at the heading of this section of the Forum so I know I'm in the right place. All I want is to save a little money on a much healthier food choice ... For me. Those of you who have left links for recipes, recipes, or tips on saving a few grocery bucks ... Thanks.
  • modernfemme
    Thanks ladies ... I did clarify in the 1st sentence that I eat these other things. Some 'True Vegetarians' would say that you're not a Vegetarian if you eat dairy and eggs either ... But the neologism for that is now Vegan .... In the 70'and 80's those people were just called strict vegetarians. If you're offended by the fact that I use the lable vegetarian ... even clarified ... I apologize. Thanks for the tips.

No need to apologize! No offence taken. These "True Vegetarians" you call it are actually called Vegans. They don't eat any animal by products at all and are the most extreme form. I admire their commitment but I think I love food way too much to give up some of those things!

With that being said, if someone said it didn't matter that there was a difference between a vegetarian and a vegan, vegans everywhere would be pretty upset. They are that passionate about what they are doing.

My goal is to educate, not belittle, and I definitely support your mostly veggie life-style!
  • Thanks ladies ... I did clarify in the 1st sentence that I eat these other things. Some 'True Vegetarians' would say that you're not a Vegetarian if you eat dairy and eggs either ... But the neologism for that is now Vegan .... In the 70'and 80's those people were just called strict vegetarians. If you're offended by the fact that I use the lable vegetarian ... even clarified ... I apologize. Thanks for the tips.

No need to apologize! No offence taken. These "True Vegetarians" you call it are actually called Vegans. They don't eat any animal by products at all and are the most extreme form. I admire their commitment but I think I love food way too much to give up some of those things!

With that being said, if someone said it didn't matter that there was a difference between a vegetarian and a vegan, vegans everywhere would be pretty upset. They are that passionate about what they are doing.

My goal is to educate, not belittle, and I definitely support your mostly veggie life-style!

yes, this is exactly what i meant as well. i didnt mean to insult anyone and i wasnt telling her it was a bad thing that she was becoming a pescitarian, all i meant was that we have these lovely classifications these days for the different types of mostly veg diets. all the vegans i know like the seperation and are PROUD to be in that classification, all the vegetarians i know also feel that way, and all the pescatarians i know feel the same as well. we're not in the 60s, 70s or 80s anymore. so lets all update what we call ourselves and be happy that we're part of those classifications. :)
  • Hey there,
    This link has been helpful for me: http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/recipes
    Under the "nutritional requirements" drop box you can select vegetarian.
    All the recipes have nutritional information to assist with logging meals.
    The cost per serve will probably only be relevant if you're in New Zealand though >_< but they are generally rather cheap recipes anyway. And they taste so good! :happy:
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Sent you a recipe in a message. hope you like! :)
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    What I find so interesting is that I came to the Forum looking for recipes that would save me a little grocery money ... And somehow this has turned into an argument about the definition of a Vegetarian. Shouldn't that part of the discussion be taking place in 'Chit-Chat'? Back in the late 60's when Vegetarianism got it's blast to the forefront of society as a fad these same arguments were taking place among 'Strict Vegetarians' and those Vegetarians who consumed dairy and eggs ... But since there is a new neologism for those people ... As I said in an earlier post ... Vegan ... I guess this is where the argument is left to now. I looked at the heading of this section of the Forum so I know I'm in the right place. All I want is to save a little money on a much healthier food choice ... For me. Those of you who have left links for recipes, recipes, or tips on saving a few grocery bucks ... Thanks.

No kidding! I thought the debate was for other forums. Help the lady out with some ideas, will ya?
This discussion has been closed.