New Found Love - Quinoa: Miracle Grain

Options
2»

Replies

• vonnegut2767
    Options
    I am one that tried it and found the texture not to my liking. Maybe I will play with it and see if I cant work on the texture issue.
    Ah ha..you have inspired me. :wink:

How did you cook it? Playing with the amount of water can alter the texture (less water = firmer, more water = mushier). I like mine a bit firmer, so I use slightly less than 2 cups of water for 1 cup of quinoa.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    I love quinoa too!
    There is a great Martha Rose Shulman recipe on the NYTimes website for a Quinoa, Corn and Edamame salad that also features red pepper, radish and feta. Lime, cilantro and jalapeno spice it up!
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/14/health/nutrition/14recipehealth.html?ref=quinoa

And this will take you to quite a few of her Quinoa recipes, including muffins and a gratin!
    http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/series/recipes_for_health/quinoa/index.html

Quinoa newbies - remember to rinse well, or else it will be bitter. Enjoy!

EDIT: to vonnegut2767 - water to grain ratio of 2:1 is what I found on-line.
    I get a little lazy and sometimes just put it in the rice cooker!
  • katiegreaterthan3
    Options
    I also recently discovered quinoa. Now I can't live without it. I cook mine in my rice cooker, 1 cup quinoa, 2 cups water with a bit of kosher salt and a bit of smoked paprika. Unreal.

I have no trouble finding it, I get it at the Bulk Barn, of course that's here in Canada (I just ride my dogsled to the store, and bring my delicious quinoa back to my igloo). I find it's also cheaper at the bulk barn, mostly because I can control how much I buy.
    Seriously you live in an igloo "EH"? Cause if you're really serious I need to see pics. That is sooooooooo cool!
  • alwardt
    alwardt Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten intolerant, so quinoa is one of my go-to grains. It is increasing in popularity, so beware of processed food (such as pasta and crackers) that has quinoa front and center. Read the label and you will find a lot of corn starch and/or rice in addition to the quinoa. Once again, "convenience food" is not very healthy. It really doesn't take long to cook from scratch.
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    bump :flowerforyou:
    Winco run tomorrow!
    Steel cut oats and quinoa
  • jenuwine
    Options
    bump