19-22 year old girls? How much do you maintain on?

Options
I'm trying to recover from an eating disorder, and I want to stop worrying so much about how much I'm eating/exercising. I want to be a normal, healthy 20 year old. I'm at a BMI of around 20 right now, (though I've still not gotten my periods back) I'm thinking of gaining one or two more pounds before maintaining my weight.

I was wondering how much a normal, healthy, non-eating disordered girl who's around my age eats in terms of calories?

I've been observing a lot of my college-mates and they seem to eat quite a lot and are very slim, but that's probably genetics. There isn't a single person I know who's around my BMI at my college. Everyone's underweight, so I'd rather not use them as examples.

I don't exercise a lot, because of my heart - I do 30 minutes of cycling, four to five times a week. I don't walk that much, since I'm a student, so I'm almost always sitting.

Replies

• laurakeens94
    laurakeens94 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi

First of all, congratulations on recovering! You have come along way and now need to focus on becoming healthy.

I would say you are doing the right amount of exercise if you want to maintain so dont worry about that!

I would say you should eat around 1800 at least to maintain and be healthy, with a BMI of 20 you could probly do with increasing this to 22. Eat lots of fruit and vegetables, (bananas, grapes and mango are quite high in calorie fruits)

Good luck!
  • uglyclub
    uglyclub Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi

First of all, congratulations on recovering! You have come along way and now need to focus on becoming healthy.

I would say you are doing the right amount of exercise if you want to maintain so dont worry about that!

I would say you should eat around 1800 at least to maintain and be healthy, with a BMI of 20 you could probly do with increasing this to 22. Eat lots of fruit and vegetables, (bananas, grapes and mango are quite high in calorie fruits)

Good luck!

Thank you! 1800 calories isn't a weight gain amount, right?
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    No, actually 1800 for most people would be below maintenance.
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Go to www.fat2fitradio.com
    Get to the TDEE calculator, calculate TDEE for your goal weight..eat that amount,also concentrate on getting proper amount of proteins and healthy fats to help rebuilding your body.don't fret too much and enjoy your youth and opportunities to realise your potential
  • b_anik
    b_anik Posts: 4
    Options
    It depends a lot on your height too. I'm 23 years old and my maintenance is about 1800 kcal, but I'm short (158 cm or 5'2), so if you are taller, you could eat more.
  • uglyclub
    uglyclub Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It depends a lot on your height too. I'm 23 years old and my maintenance is about 1800 kcal, but I'm short (158 cm or 5'2), so if you are taller, you could eat more.

I'm 163cm tall!
  • laurakeens94
    Options
    If you put your details into this it will tell you what you need to maintain, and what you need to loose/gain weight.

Take a look,

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
  • laurakeens94
    Options
    Also if you struggle to eat that amount of calories, try things like peanut butter on wholegrain bread and a handful of nuts a day as a snack. They are high in healthy fats and calories
  • LividMuffin
    LividMuffin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Definitely calculate your TDEE, it counts with your activity level, weight, height, age etc so it provides relatively accurate calculation. I am currently eating 1800kcal a day but that is to lose fat.. If I was maintaining I would be eating around 2100!
    If your number is much higher than what you are on right now, try to add like 100kcal a week to avoid shocking your body, putting on a bit of weight and jeopardising your recovery.. Good luck! :)
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am 21 and 170cms tall. I am eating around 1800 to 2100 calories a day to maintain but I have lost body fat this month. I am really active though so I am trying to eat enough so I gain muscle.
  • moonmiko
    moonmiko Posts: 2
    Options
    Congrats on recovery! That's awesome :).

I'm 22, 5'5" and I weigh about 123 at the moment. I seem to maintain at 1800 and will increase depending on the amount of exercise I push into my schedule.
  • mooncath
    mooncath Posts: 31
    Options
    I'm slightly younger, at 18 years old.
    My maintenance, non-TDEE, is 1470 calories. I'm 5'0" and 105 pounds.
  • comrade_questions
    comrade_questions Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm 23 and to maintain I needed about 2200 calories (without exercise!)
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I want to add, having experience in recovery from an ED myself, it also depends on your current health (how far in recovery you are). BMI has little to do with this. One can develop all the terrible symptoms of malnutrition without reaching a BMI of 17 or lower. For this reason, a lot of people have problems with how the psychology field handles eating disorders (as often it is impossible to find treatment unless you reach a low BMI, and BMI isn't everything). If you are still early in your recovery, you may have to eat more than another girl your age. This is fine, and is normal and yes, as you recover your appetite will decline and return to normal.

My best advice - if you are early in recovery - is to drink most of your calories. Eating them will probably hurt or be uncomfortable.If you've been restricting for a long time, your body has been deprived and is going to want to return to a normal state. Really, the best advice I can give you, is talk to a therapist and/or a nutritionist. They will be able to help you with a meal plan better than most of us. Because the amount of calories someone in recovery should be eating depends more on how much weight they lost, how long they've been restricting, and their BMI.

However, maintenance for someone our age is typically between 1800-2200 or so. It depends on how active you are. I'm fairly active. I walk to school every day, and spend all Sunday on my feet usually. Howeveer, I have MFP set to semi active and I just log the walking as exercise. In any case, eating back exercise calories, I usually get 1700-2100 on a good day. (Netting around 1500-1600 usually)
  • tsubaki4
    tsubaki4 Posts: 24
    Options
    Hey there, I'm 23, 5'4. I maintain at 2300 calories. When I work out, I have to eat around 2500-2600 calories.
  • Sbrn_
    Sbrn_ Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm 20, 5'2 and a 1/2 and I maintain on around 1900-2100 calories a day (and I'm not a particularly active person normally!).
  • chocolatexxmintt
    chocolatexxmintt Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm 22 and I am 5'6 I consume 1200 calories a day but do a fair amount of walking and yoga/pilates !
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    22... 5'8" 130 pounds... Usually 2600 calories I eat a day but I'm a marathon runner. Net? 1600. I sit on my butt all day long.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Hi there - 22 years old and in recovery for ED-NOS myself. I maintain a BMI of 20.5 on about 1850-2250 calories a day.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Hi

Good luck!

Thank you! 1800 calories isn't a weight gain amount, right?

This question makes no sense. Obviously it is a number some people would gain in, but some people would lose on. The age of a person had far less to do with their caloric needs than the height and weight.

I strongly suggest you do some research and learn about TDEE and your own personal body's needs, rather than trying to gauge how much to eat based off what everyone else is eating. That is an easy way to slip back into disordered thinking and habits. (Ask me how I know this...)

But if you INSIST on having that question answered, consider this: I am 5'0", 109 lbs, eating 1800, and am still losing weight. Think critically and draw from that what you will. Good luck.