Black for the wedding party?

Options
amykr93
amykr93 Posts: 65
So I'm getting married in Scotland in the Summer and was thinking about colour schemes the other day. Our venue has lovely red chairs, and I really wanted to carry that colour through into the wedding itself. However, I am one of those people who thinks that colours can become 'too much' when everything centres around it: flowers, bridesmaid dresses, centrepieces, stationery, cake and everything else under the sun).

I really only want little bits of colour on things like the flowers, centrepieces and kilts etc so that they really stand out and 'pop'. As a result I was drawn to the idea of a black and white colour scheme with red accents: think black bridesmaid dresses with red flowers and shoes. The men will be in red tartan kilts (my partners tartan) with black jackets, white shirts and either black bow ties or red cravats etc.
Maybe even a black and white colour scheme with red tartan accents (our venue is very traditional and very Scottish - lots of Robert Burns quotes dotted around, exposed wooden beams, log burning fires etc).

I started looking on pintrest and seen pictures like this:

http://dresseslux.com/wp-content/upl...id-dresses.jpg
http://ipunya.com/wp-content/uploads...ck-flowers.jpg
http://www.merleshop.com/blog/wp-con...maid-shoes.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ad0wdxVbKQI/UCQWTx2VWnI/AAAAAAAAGdo/K28e9vzaOBE/s1600/Tartan_red_and_black_South_African_wedding+(15).JPG

Which just strengthened my idea that it can look very nice when put together well. I also didn't want my bridesmaids in the same dress as they are all different heights and shapes, so there will never be a 'one dress fits all' for them (I'm talking about 5ft2 to 5ft10, a UK size 8 to a UK size 18 etc) which I think works well with a black dress - no need to worry about different shades etc. Black is black, anything else is differing shades of grey.

But what do people think about black at a wedding, particularly black bridesmaid dresses? I know there can still be a stigma about black being a funeral colour; however I don't believe any of those dresses above look like they belong at a funeral.

Just curious.

EDIT: this is where our ceremony (a humanist one) and reception would take place

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/b3/27/05/brig-o-doon-hotel.jpg
http://www.gavindougan.com/uploads/2/1/2/7/21278992/9710715_orig.jpg

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i think its your wedding, and it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks if its what you want.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I think that's a lovely idea. I have seen some black bridesmaids dresses and they are lovely, especially with a pop of colour :-)
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Do it! It's your day and black and red always work well together. Just as long as they're all the same shades of red and the same shades of black as it can sometimes look like a clash if they're not.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    In India, white is a funeral colour.

So there goes that ;)

Your wedding is about YOU and what you want. I think it'll look very elegant- and if that's what you want (which it sounds like it is) then go for it :)
  • amykr93
    amykr93 Posts: 65
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)

Sometimes when you tell people you want to include black they look at you like you've grown horns and have started devil worship. as it's not the 'traditional' thing.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Black can be very elegant. Do what you want for your wedding day. (I got a lot of feedback too about choosing a "bold" color for my bridesmaids and to this day I love how it worked out.)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I recently drove past a wedding party taking pictures and the bride was in traditional white and the bridesmaids were in black. They looked lovely, and classy.

My wedding dress was red and black :D
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I say you do what makes you and your fiance happy. Your wedding day is about you two, who cares if other people don't get it or don't like it?
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who had her bridesmaids in black. It was very elegant.

My brother just married and his bride chose shades of grey. All the dresses had to be grey but could be different styles - her ONLY request was that they were long. I think this brings a more cohesive look, even if the dresses are different styles.

ETA: You may not want your mothers in all black - I would probably see that as a bad sign if I were a guest!
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    your post is way long..i'm gonna go with yes.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I just got married this weekend and my wedding was black and white. All of the bridesmaids were in black dresses and my husband was in black pants, black shirt, and a white tie and vest and his groomsmen were in all black with white ties. My pop of color was the pink and orange daisies that we carried. IMO it's elegant and you can get as dressy as you like or as casual as you like and you'll stand out being in white.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Options
    if your husband is black i think that good thing. You marry him and he be strong. I not let others speak wrong to you about marry man of different color than you.

I'm not sure you understand what she is asking here.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds fantastic visually.

I also think it's highly likely your bridesmaids will love you for that color choice, heh. I have been in two weddings where the bridesmaid dresses were black, and in both cases the bride just let everyone pick their own black dress...saved so much trouble and drama. But even if wearing matching black dresses I think it would be lovely.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)

Sometimes when you tell people you want to include black they look at you like you've grown horns and have started devil worship. as it's not the 'traditional' thing.

if it makes you feel any better, in my area of the world people would look at you like that for having a humanist ceremony anyway ;-)

(I did, both times...but just saying)
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Color *does* have symbolism. If, in a highly symbolic event, you pick color that symbolizes death and sadness, some people are going to think "Death and sadness" rather than "fashion statement." If that is ok with you, then go for it -- nobody is going to storm your ceremony and shut it down because it's a funeral that isn't being done right.
  • Bex2BeSlim
    Bex2BeSlim Posts: 12
    Options
    Go for it, I have been to a B&W themed wedding and I know my cousin has been a 'black bridesmaid' and both resulted in fabulous pics:heart:
  • Pipsg1rl
    Options
    Color *does* have symbolism. If, in a highly symbolic event, you pick color that symbolizes death and sadness, some people are going to think "Death and sadness" rather than "fashion statement." If that is ok with you, then go for it -- nobody is going to storm your ceremony and shut it down because it's a funeral that isn't being done right.

That's why I suggested the mothers wear not solid black. but for the bridesmaids? totally fine.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My best friend's second wedding was very nontraditional. They got married on the beach in Key West with just a few people there. The women who went were her "bridesmaids." For the wedding itself, we just wore whatever (though we tried to coordinate as much as we could with colors on our own).

They had a reception a few months later and she asked us all to wear black because her photographer said it would look best in pictures. So we did and it all looked very nice.
  • DemetraDawn
    DemetraDawn Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My bridesmaids are all wearing little black cocktail dresses in their style of choice. I think it's chic.