Do squats make your bum bigger?

Options
I've heard that squats can do wonders for your body. My bum is already really big (lol). If I incorporate squats into my workout, would that help burn the fat off my bum, or would it make it bigger?

Replies

• lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    If you are eating in a deifict you wont add any mass to your bum no, so dont worry about it getting huge lol. Squats will help you keep your lovely glutes from wasting away though :).

I try to do lots of exercises on my glutes to keep my big bum!
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    You will gain muscle and hopefully get rid of some of the fat as well, so it should be replaced, although I've heard some girls say their jeans didn't fit after squatting initially as it added muscle before they started losing the fat. Also must take diet into consideration as well.
  • Jenny8511
    Jenny8511 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I've seen some before and after pictures of ladies who lifted and their bums looked amazing. A little bigger, but it was nice and toned. They seemed to be at a healthy weight. So, I think it would depend on your body now. If you are at your goal weight, then yes, eventually your bum will get a little bigger (with a lot of time and hard work) but if you are trying to lose weight, then the muscle will replace the fat.
  • staceymercer17
    staceymercer17 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies.... My bum is really wide and I hate it. Pear shaped for sure. I have a lot of fat that can be replaced with muscle, I just don't want to gain weight with it either!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You won't gain unless you're NOT eating at a calorie deficit. :)
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Thought you might be interested in this post...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1284973-weightlifting-for-weightloss?page=1#posts-19943982

You don't lose weight and build muscle at the same time....that is counter intuitive. Unless you are experiencing Noob gains which are low and end quickly or are mobidly obese .

You can lose fat, gain muscle doing a recomp but you don't lose weight...you stay the same....
  • duckturnrot
    duckturnrot Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Do those squats. It'll lift and tone that booty in all the right places!