I thought I was fit but I still can't...

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
...walk or run up the escalators at Seven Sisters underground station. What's up with that? I run three times a week and go to the gym at least twice more, but walking up a single set of moving stairs has my heart trying to leap out of my chest, my hamstrings burning and a rising sense of nausea. And I do it every working day!

I also go "Gnnnfff!" whenever I stand up, or bend to tie my shoelaces.

What still defeats you however fit you get?

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Crouching down on my knees to get something. I still almost need help to get up. I ran 39km this past week, and I still have trouble crouching. This is silly. Stupid body.:laugh:
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    touch my toes without bending my knees (y'know like sit and reach in high school gym class).

I do yoga 3-5 times per week also. Still can't do downward dog either LOL

My flexibility is hopeless.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Real pushups. I'm finally to the point where I can do nice, clean half pushups but the full ones are still too hard.
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Running for the bus.. I run 3 times a week, part of a running club and half marathons under my belt but when I have to run without being prepared for it I think I am going to die... I can happily do sprint intervals, cover 1k in under 4 minutes but running for the bus... WTF??
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I still can't do a pull up/chin up and it makes me sad.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Stairs! I too run, bike, strength train...AND I live on the third floor. So, I do a lot of stairs, but they still kill me!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    ...time travel.

Everything else, I'm just in a permanent inconsistent state of untrained.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    When you run at the gym, do you run inclines? Stairs are a lot more difficult than running a flat surface. Add steep inclines (even if you have to walk them for a while) to your running routine and it will help.
  • BerryH
    Options
    When you run at the gym, do you run inclines? Stairs are a lot more difficult than running a flat surface. Add steep inclines (even if you have to walk them for a while) to your running routine and it will help.
    I run outside (including hills where they appear, but it's not super-hilly in north London!), and do other stuff when I go to the gym.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I run outside (including hills where they appear, but it's not super-hilly in north London!), and do other stuff when I go to the gym.
    Oops. I misread your OP.

If you're not regularly climbing stairs and you're not running inclines, stairs are going to kill you.
  • BerryH
    Options
    If you're not regularly climbing stairs and you're not running inclines, stairs are going to kill you.
    I live in a third floor flat, work in a second floor office and walk up three sets of escalators and several staircases during my commute to work every. It's just that one escalator that kills me! Just pondering on the mysteries of fitness never making you fit for everything life throws at you :flowerforyou:
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    ...jog up stairs without getting a little bit winded!
  • rml_16
    Options
    I live in a third floor flat, work in a second floor office and walk up three sets of escalators and several staircases during my commute to work every. It's just that one escalator that kills me! Just pondering on the mysteries of fitness never making you fit for everything life throws at you :flowerforyou:

:-)

Well then I don't know. lol

I used to get winded with stairs and then started walking up three flights at work every day and it helped a ton. Sadly, we switched offices and I'm not even allowed to use the stairs in this building. :-(
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I love Jillian M. But I cannot wait until a BURPEE drops her!! :laugh: Sometime the age thing becomes a factor. You can still be fit but it is not the fit of 25yrs. That is life enjoy :drinker:
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

This. I can squat and deadlift with the best of them. My bench is getting there. My OHP is okay. But pull ups? Heck no. I can *barely* just now do a negative.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options

Oh, so this!!!
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I'm working on doing 20 pull-ups in a row..I won't say it's defeating me, because I will not be defeated!

I've come a very long way....I can do ANYTHING!!!!
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I weight train 3Xweek and do cardio 3Xweek, but I can't do a chin up to save my life.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    This is hilarious because I JUST had this conversation on Friday.

I went up 3 flights of stairs and I was breathless at the top, could barely greet people. I'm like WTF? I just kickboxed this morning for an hour. I can run a 5k while talking the entire time and I weight train 3x a week........how are stairs OWNING ME? lol
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    ...walk or run up the escalators at Seven Sisters underground station. What's up with that? I run three times a week and go to the gym at least twice more, but walking up a single set of moving stairs has my heart trying to leap out of my chest, my hamstrings burning and a rising sense of nausea. And I do it every working day!

I also go "Gnnnfff!" whenever I stand up, or bend to tie my shoelaces.

What still defeats you however fit you get?

Two possible reasons.

1) jogging and going up and down stairs are two different animals. Just because you're fit for one workout doesn't mean you're fit for another. For example, although I could go for a five mile run, practicing with my daughters when they played soccer would wear me out in five minutes.

2) Allergies. I always take the stairs at work (my office is on the third floor). Certain times of the year I am breathing heavy because of the pollen counts.