Newbie with a medicine question

Options
Hi Everyone. I'm new here, joined last week.

I have a question related to medicine. What does everyone do if they are on corticosteroids such as prednisone?

I take prednisone or other steroids frequently due to repeated infections. My experience has been that they make me very hungry, retain water, and swell up. It's hard to stay on your plan when all of this is going on. Any advice?

Replies

• kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    They make my skin feel like it's ripping off my body ... so even if prescribed, I'll fight with the doctor to not take them. So I'm a bad person to ask. But when I took them (for 4 days) I went from 190 to 215. So I understand.

That said, they're the reason I came to MFP ... so maybe they're a Godsend. To me.

I hope someone has a real answer for you! Good luck and welcome :smile:
  • ksnurse25
    ksnurse25 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I would eat a low sodium diet, bulk up on your potassium, eat a well balanced diet and chow down on veggies and fruit if you have a hunger pain, and get plenty of exercise. Good luck!
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Prednisone causes the body to retain sodium (salt) and lose potassium. This combination can result in fluid retention, weight gain, and bloating. Measures that can be used to avoid fluid retention in the first place are eating a reduced sodium diet and increasing potassium intake through potassium-rich foods (such as bananas, cantaloupe, grapefruit, and lima beans).

Higher calorie consumption is also typical while taking prednisone because the drug can cause an increase in appetite. Some tips to avoid gaining weight include decreasing calories consumed each day, decreasing fat, and eating several small meals a day instead of 3 large ones.

Many people are taking prednisone due to an inflammatory condition or a chronic condition. These conditions often make physical activity difficult. When possible, physical activity can help prevent or lessen the weight gain from prednisone.

Prednisone can also cause the redistribution of fat, which makes even a small amount weight gain more intolerable. The weight tends to be located in the face, back of the neck, and the abdomen.

The good news is that this side effect tends to reverse when the dosage of prednisone is taken below 10 mg/day. The fluid retention and increased appetite will decrease. Any weight gain, however, will not reverse itself. Sticking to a healthful eating plan and getting regular exercise will be needed to take off the pounds. It will be easier to do both of these things when the underlying condition for which the prednisone was prescribed is resolved, or under control.

Your physician can recommend the best diet and fitness plan that works with your particular lifestyle and any medical conditions. Unfortunately, there is no easy road to weight loss, which is why so many diet plans and pills that promise a quick weight loss.

The best way to lose weight, however, is still through a healthy lifestyle: reducing calorie consumption and getting regular exercise. Weight loss should be slow and steady to give the best chance of losing the pounds permanently.

~www.ibdchrons.com
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Ok... dude! When I had that reaction-wanting to rip my skin off- the nurse told me it was an allergic reaction to the meds. So you should be REALLY cautious about taking it.
    jac
  • Jenn97355
    Jenn97355 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I take prednisone often due to severe allergies, and I HATE:grumble: the way it makes me feel, and it does not take long(4-6days) to see a weight difference...I chew A LOT of gum when I am on that:laugh: ...I hate having a puffy face because I need meds to breathe...arg...stupid drug is also a lifesaver:flowerforyou: My Dr told me to set snacks aside, and to STOP eating after 7pm, and to put a note on the fridge...THE MEDS ARE MAKING YOU HUNGRY...YOU ARE NOT REALLY HUNGRY...I cannot tell you how many times I have laughed, then walked away from the kitchen!! (I have also spread my calories to 8 meals a day so I don't feel STARVING, like it makes you feel!!
  • tllstaco
    tllstaco Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! First day is down with the prednisone and I was HUNGRY. Didn't eat anything extra though. Kept telling myself that I needed to behave.:smile:
  • tllstaco
    Options
    They make my skin feel like it's ripping off my body ... so even if prescribed, I'll fight with the doctor to not take them. So I'm a bad person to ask. But when I took them (for 4 days) I went from 190 to 215. So I understand.

That said, they're the reason I came to MFP ... so maybe they're a Godsend. To me.

I hope someone has a real answer for you! Good luck and welcome :smile:

They make me very hot and I don't sleep but a few hours a night. They also make me feel like I am VERY hot. Yuk! Thanks for the welcome!
  • tllstaco
    Options
    I take prednisone often due to severe allergies, and I HATE:grumble: the way it makes me feel, and it does not take long(4-6days) to see a weight difference...I chew A LOT of gum when I am on that:laugh: ...I hate having a puffy face because I need meds to breathe...arg...stupid drug is also a lifesaver:flowerforyou: My Dr told me to set snacks aside, and to STOP eating after 7pm, and to put a note on the fridge...THE MEDS ARE MAKING YOU HUNGRY...YOU ARE NOT REALLY HUNGRY...I cannot tell you how many times I have laughed, then walked away from the kitchen!! (I have also spread my calories to 8 meals a day so I don't feel STARVING, like it makes you feel!!

Looks like you are a kindered spirit. I have an immune deficiency and have lots of problems with infections and initially with allergies. Last night was the first night I fell off the wagon and ate something after I had recorded my calories.....oh well. Back on the wagon!
  • tbcooper
    Options
    Jenn - I love the note on the fridge idea.
  • lupuslady
    Options
    I have been on prednisone for 8 yrs. I have continued to take it the same way everyday. I always eat something first then take my meds. I am a diabetic and I have lupus and rheum arth. So I must take my morning pills. If I didnot take prednisone I could not walk. I am not quite what your question really is, do you want tostop taking it? Good luck with MFP. It is really working for me.
  • tllstaco
    Options
    This is so frustrating. I was down 8 lbs, now I'm only down 3 lbs. Predinisone is such a double edged sword!