Need help with the gut....

Amber030583
Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
Every workout they say keep that gut in blah blah blah. I have a heck of a time with doing that. I give it an honest effort but then i always notice especially when the dvd is keep that gut in that it isn't in.

Any pointers are much needed! Or should i just wrap my gut in duct tape.....hmmmm

Replies

• AnAbsoluteDiva
    AnAbsoluteDiva Posts: 166 Member
    They aren't telling you to hold your breath. They are telling you to stand up straight, throw your shoulders back, have the clavicle point to the ceiling. You do that, the gut goes in. Does this help?
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    They aren't telling you to hold your breath. They are telling you to stand up straight, throw your shoulders back, have the clavicle point to the ceiling. You do that, the gut goes in. Does this help?

Well, I wasn't thinking about holding my breath but just kinda keeping the stomach flexed i guess? I have no clue how to explain it. lol. I just always think that I am not doing that right
  • k8ieP
    k8ieP Posts: 54
    I have this problem too. I asked a yoga teacher about it and this may be a little TMI for sensitive folks but you are supposed to imagine that your lower body is a basket. Tuck your butt in, stand straight and even add a few kegles. :blushing:
    I was embarrassed but it really helped me keep my abs in while still breathing deeply without having to check myself in the mirror every second.

Good luck
  • mamxo22
    mamxo22 Posts: 84
    whenever i go for a walk or a jog, i was always told to hold my gut in so that i would loose it... very very hard to do.
    but i try just sucking in and breathing more in my gut area, it seems to work for me.

also during volleyball season we did tons and tons of crunching and some had to do with keeping your stomach sucked in!!
    they worked reallly good.

one i enjoyed was you lay on your back, and at the same time you "crunch" you also pull your pelvic area up off the ground, almost like a sandwich.!!
    sounds odd but it works!
  • Amber, are you able to run? Losing the gut comes with diet more than exercise. It's just one of the facts of having a flat stomach. When I do aerobics or run, I make sure my back is straight and my abs are tight. I do crunches and stuff, but that isn't the reason for my flat tummy. That comes from a diet of lean meats, veggies, and all the good stuff like that. I hope that you stick with MFP because from reading your page, you have a nasty habit of yo-yo dieting. Those huge jumps in weight can be bad on your heart, so I'm hoping that you stick with MFP even when you meet your weight-loss goals.
  • Amber, you are doing SOOOOO well, and in my HUMBLE opinion, I would not (as long as I have KNOWN you) consider you a so-called "Yo-Yo Dieter".

You have always been an advocate for eating healthier and 'no dieting'. Keep up the good work, and remember that you WILL eventually lose your stomach. I agree that posture has a great deal to do with the stomach muscles. Concentrate on that, and keep your attitude as positive as you have been! Love ya, girl! : )

Don't let the so-called 'experts' try and tell you they KNOW you and your habits.......
  • l'm losing weight off my gut even without exercise and l see a change. l weighed 273 lbs and now after only 3 weeks l'm down to 258 lbs.
  • this photo is the old me when l ate too much red meat and l was severly constipated and holding alot of gas. LOL!!!!!!

On my site l have a recent photo where l'm 263LBS and you really see a difference in me. l thought it was all fat., but l do have to lose more weight.
  • JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    I hope that you stick with MFP because from reading your page, you have a nasty habit of yo-yo dieting.

hmmm, I can't seem to find that part your page either:huh:
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Possibly it is a matter of strengthening your abdominal muscles. When you first start it is difficult, but as you build them up it should get easier.

You just have to do what you can. As long as you are really trying, the rest will follow.

It also could very well be a matter of posture. You should study body mechanics and work to develop good posture if you don't already have it. It will help a lot of things in your life and in your future if you develop a habit of good posture.
This discussion has been closed.