Breakfast question

Options

Replies

• JBfoodforlife
    JBfoodforlife Posts: 1,371 Member
    Options
    If I am going for a quick breakfast, I will bag up a cup of Kashi Go Lean Crunch to go and drink a glass of almond milk before running out the door...
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Get a nutribullet or ninja and make a shake and take it with you.. there's a ton of recipes you'll have to use trial and error to find one you like

last nights dinner is a good breakfast too

Fruit and yogurt
    protein/granola bar
    Cereal
    Oats
    Scarmbeled eggs take 5 minutes
    or pre boil eggs and make toast to go with
    Pre make egg muffins or wraps or pancakes/waffles
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I make quiches/frittata. Just have to cut a piece and microwave it in the morning. One lasts 4 days (unless hubby has some too, obviously).

Or you can make smoothies. Oatmeal takes 1.5 minute in the microwave too.
  • nmncare
    nmncare Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I am a morning person.. but not a morning eater. I am on meds that I have to take first thing in the morning and have to take with food.. so I just go for the ol' wheat toast. Dry, or with a tiny amount of cottage cheese on top, or sliced avocado, or with a tiny amount of butter. I'd be really interested to hear what everyone else has though!
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    i'm not a morning person but the breakfast i eat every day pretty much takes little time and could easily be prepped the night before
    it's just fruit (weigh out into a container) Granola weigh and add to container in am, portioned already yogurt into container, mix and eat on the way if you don't have 5 minutes to eat at home.
    If I skip I'm more likely to go get something that doens't meet my goals over the am
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    i'm not a morning person but the breakfast i eat every day pretty much takes little time and could easily be prepped the night before
    it's just fruit (weigh out into a container) Granola weigh and add to container in am, portioned already yogurt into container, mix and eat on the way if you don't have 5 minutes to eat at home.
    If I skip I'm more likely to go get something that doesn't meet my goals over the am
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I like to grab a banana.
  • jar819
    jar819 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I microwave eggwhites for 1 minute, while I toast a multi grain english muffin, put a piece of cheese or laughing cow cheese wedge on and wrap it to eat in the car on my 30 minute commute...works out great and it satisfies me til lunch! i used to skip breakfast and my hunger was out of control and I would get big breakfast sandwiches at DD or convenience store that had 500+ calories..my healthy breakfast sandwich is half the calories and easy on the waist and wallet!! Good luck to you OP
  • worm5996
    worm5996 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    We sometimes prep a week of breakfast burritos and freeze them.

thats good one...i hear breakfast burritos freeze pretty well
    they do. We usually do something like eggs, beans, cheese, or eggs, butternut squash, cheese (and green chile, of course).

How do you get your eggs to not turn grey? I have tried making my own and freezing them but the eggs always get a greyish tint and look unappetizing. My DH and DS won't eat them like that.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    fridge porridge - prepare the night before and eat in the morning! Oats, yoghurt/milk and chopped fruit/berries (I add linseed too) - put in a screw top container - shake well and leave in fridge overnight. In the morning it comes out almost like a fruit mousse.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Breakfast, what's breakfast? Oh right... that handful of food that I eat while battling traffic on the way to work. Seriously... we work flex time, so if I spend time preparing/eating breakfast at home, that means that I have to stay later in the afternoon, so no thank you.

I really like the original Clif bars, the new Sierra Trail Mix flavor is my favorite. They are high in carbs, but also have 10 grams of protein, which is enough to get me to lunch anyway. My other favorite is plain greek yogurt with some frozen berries and granola. I will add some sugar if the granola is not very sweet. I toss that together in a mason jar, and the berries are just about thawed enough to eat by the time I get to my desk. If I really don't feel like eating, 2 scoops of vanilla protein powder mixed into iced coffee will do the trick. Doesn't have much fat, but the protein and carb macros are good.
  • liz89118
    liz89118 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I make my own green shakes some mornings or I drink a pure protein can shake. The can shake is the only one I like sometimes a protein bar too from pure protein. Sometimes I just don't have time, energy or a big "hunger" in the morning so these work for me then I have snack of string cheese and almonds later .
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Why not just skip breakfast and eat a bigger lunch?

I was thinking this ..

or, you really do not have the time to make some instant oatmeal and through some fruit in it? < that takes about five minutes....
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of healthy grab and go foods -

fresh fruit (or veggies)
    hard boiled eggs
    yogurt (I prefer greek...more protein than regular)
    cottage cheese
    string cheese
    oatmeal
    protein bars
    bagel (the whole MFP community collectively gasps - CARBS!!!)

Or any kind of food that floats your boat...it does not have to be traditional breakfast food. Last night dinner left overs are fine too!

I'm not big on pre-packaged meal replacement shakes. I lean more towards a smoothies and shakes made at home - skim milk, protein powder, fruit and ice. You can find tons of healthy recipes if you google for it.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I generally skip breakfast and have a bigger meal later in the day.

You could hardboil a bunch of eggs and make 7 little baggies with an egg and some almonds to keep in the fridge. You'd take one out every morning. Or, you could always go the protein powder or Carnation Breakfast Essentials route, but actual food is so much more satisfying.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    1) Get up earlier.

2) Make your breakfast the night before and heat it or eat it at work.
  • emmooney235
    emmooney235 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Sunday's I make sure I have enough hard boiled eggs for the week. My normal breakfast is 1-2 eggs with a toasted English muffin with either cream cheese or peanut butter. Takes me about 5 minutes, I'm not a morning person either and usually run late.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Another voice from the "prepare ahead" chorus. Every weekend I make up a big batch of oatmeal and some sort of egg dish.

The oats are coked in the crock-pot: add 1 cup of uncooked steel cut oats, 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk, 3 cups of water, 1/2 cup chopped pecans, 2 small granny smith apples cored and diced (peel stays on), and a large or two small sweet potatoes par cooked in the microwave (3 min on high), peeled then diced up. I also sprinkle generously with cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Cook on low for 5-6 hours.

For the eggs: if I feel up to it, I make a casserole with spinach, feta and some sort of meat (pepperoni, ham, etc) - sometimes I add chopped up potatoes too - and a dozen eggs. Bake at 350 for about 20 min. When I'm a bit more lazy, I make baked egg cups - spray a muffin tin w/ Pam or similar, lay a couple thin slices of meat (ham, turkey, etc) in each cup and drop an egg in. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes depending on how well done you like your eggs.

And as someone else mentioned - don't forget you can eat whatever you want for breakfast. If dinner leftovers or a tuna salad sandwich sound good, there's nothing wrong with that!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    1) Get up earlier.

I always LOL (literally) when I see people say this. My husband goes nuts at all my "back-up alarms" that I use. I'm doing good just to be awake enough to dress and drive to work. "Earlier" always sounds good, and I even plan to do it, but...
  • Mrsbeale11
    Mrsbeale11 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have a slice of granary bread toasted with microwaved scrambled eggs, full fat milk, spinach and feta cheese sprinkled on top - takes about 10 mins to prep and cook x