When to start toning/weight training?

Options
2»

Replies

• navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    You can also do body weight strength exercises so you don't need to shell out a lot of money to get started. Hopefully someone will post a link because I don't have it.
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I was JUST thinking about this!! I'm nervous to start since I weigh so much still (already) and I worry about over taxing my joints.
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I can't get to a gym, but do have some dumbells, gym ball, resistance band and kettle ball. Are there some exercises that I could do at home that would maybe have the same effect as going to a gym?

Thanks

You can research online the types of exercises you can do with that equipment. Just start typing "exercises with (insert equipment here)" and look around. I go to the gym once a week, on Friday, for heavier lifting for my upper body. On Tuesday, I do work on my upper body at home with a series of pushups that place my hands in different positions, something I learned by searching for strength training exercises on YouTube. I also have some kettlebells, so I do some kettlebell exercises that I've learned online. (Be careful with kettlebells. Start out very slowly and pay close attention to your form.) I have a stability ball, and so I lay on it and use kettlebells to do some more upper body strength training. Again, I got all of this from researching online, and combining different workouts.

You want to make sure you work out your core to help support your body through your exercise routines. Here are some great exercises for that:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/abdominalcorestrength1/a/NewCore.htm

Good luck!