Zumba

Options
I'm trying zumba tomorrow for the first time. It's a one hour class, and I have NO idea how many calories I'm going to burn since my HRM died. :(

So, how many calories do you burn at zumba? Should I mark it as aerobics? Thanks!

Replies

• megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    According to my HRM it calculated i burnt the same as Aerobics - High Impact... so i would recommend that.

Also remember when you do Zumba that the first few times you will feel like you have two left feet, but its sooo much fun and it gets heaps easier as you learn the basic steps.... =)

So keep it up... dont give it up!!! =)
  • Dfairbairn82
    Dfairbairn82 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    On some Zumba sites, they say it burns 500-800 calories in an hour, depending on your exertion. I don't know how you'll know exactly how many calories you personally burn. I list it as "aerobics, high impact" since Zumba is not an option, and the exercise database says 60mins burns 530 calories. Hopefully you'll like it - I love going to Zumba. It makes the hour fly by much faster than an elliptical.
  • karamae
    karamae Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I've heard nothing but good things about zumba. I'm excited! I'm sure I'll look silly but...that's ok! :) I'll list it as aerobic - high impact, since that's what you both said.

Again, thanks so much for the info!

Kara
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    You'll have a blast. been doing it at home and I can't wait to go to my first live class next week!

Katie
  • TheDash12
    Options
    Just went to a Zumba class tonight. I've been doing it for about a year and IT WORKS. Just remember to HAVE FUN. Shout cheer, and keep moving! If you keep your feet moving (no matter how silly you might think you look) and you will BURN calories!

Also I always think of this, the more a shake my hips the more those pounds will come up. Hehe.:wink:
    I need to get rid of this muffin top :/ blech and Zumba helps. I just imagine that every time I sway my hips, those lbs just sway right off too....(If only it were that easy)

But seriously I just love it, you dont even realize that youre working out. youre just in a club or something :]

HAVE FUN!! :heart:
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    It's fun - takes a few classes to feel coordinated! At first I burned about 450 and now (after 12 weeks) I burn about 325. Depends on age, weight, etc., of course!
  • TheDash12
    Options
    It's fun - takes a few classes to feel coordinated! At first I burned about 450 and now (after 12 weeks) I burn about 325. Depends on age, weight, etc., of course!

Love the shirt in your profile pic. I wore that one tonight haha

How did you track your calories? I need one of those fancy trackers. One of the instructors tonight had one on...

:D
  • karamae
    karamae Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You use a heart rate monitor. It looks like a watch then usually has a strappy thing that goes under your tatas. :) I had one but it broke, I think I need to buy a more expensive one. The other one I had was cheap, off Ebay. Hey, Christmas is right around the corner, right?

Also, I've signed up for 5 classes, I figure I can always add more later, but should have several just to get coordinated. Off I go to zumba! :)