Greek yogurt

Options

Replies

• Megmo127
    Megmo127 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If i just want a light snack I'll mix honey & peanut butter in it or maple syrup! :)
  • drcnla
    drcnla Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like to use Fage 2% with a bit of salt and pepper, a dash of mustard, and some dill pickle relish to make a tartar sauce for fish. Delicious and creamy!
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I used to hate plain yogurt except as a replacement for sour cream or mayo (which I hate more), unless it was used in a savory side/condiment like a raita. Since starting food tracking on MFP a month ago, I've taken my one plain yogurt dish (plain nonfat Greek yogurt with strawberries, honey, and cinnamon) and expanded upon that significantly. Yesterday I licked my finger while weigh out yogurt for a dish and… I kind of liked it. Without anything else on or in it. So perhaps it is a taste you can acquire.

(I totally stand by that strawberry dish as AMAZING, by the way. If the strawberries are good you hardly need any honey (you could use stevia or something like that instead but I like the taste of honey and a teaspoon isn't too many calories.)

So, eat it with fruit, a touch of honey maybe, or in a savory preparation. Some people like to add peanut butter? I've never tried that. You might end up liking it after a while. (Also, different brands taste different, so you could also try another brand.)
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Layer 1/4 cup of plain greek yogurt, 1/4 cup bare naked protein granola (I used vanilla almond), and 1/4 cup fresh blueberries or raspberries, or organic strawberries. I make it the night before by morning the granola softens and it flavors the yogurt...mmmmm one of my favorite mushy breakfasts!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I eat plain nonfat greek yogurt with chips and salsa all the time. Tastes like sour cream to me.

That was my thoughts. It taste like I am eating apples and sour cream ewww!

Yep...I see others have suggested it already, but apples aren't really sweet enough to do that any justice. I'd throw in some honey at least. Or use sweeter juicier fruit - blackberries, strawberries, etc.
  • kuntry_navySD
    kuntry_navySD Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i'm with you, stuff is so nasty
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas here. I personally like yoplait's key lime the best, so good!
  • swinnie239
    swinnie239 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Another way to sweeten is to add defrosted frozen fruit. It doesn't need to have juice or anything like that added. When the frozen fruit defrosts, it adds more liquid to the greek yogurt to sweeten it. It's nice if you leave the fronzen fruit on top of it overnight, that fruit defrosts and it's similar to the fruit on the bottom yogurt, but without the added sugar.

If you use fresh fruit, use some stevia or honey to sweeten as other people have said. It is sour when it's plain.
  • jec228
    jec228 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    stevia & unsweetened coco powder , pb2, blueberries, banana slices, a little cereal... greek yogurt every day :)
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I am still trying to finish it and I started eating it 40 minutes ago! I just gave up and threw it out. Good thing I only brought 3 cups just to try it. I am getting some really tasty ideas here both sweet and savory.

Isn't there some type of cookie dough recipe for greek yogurt? I guess to make it taste like cookie dough?
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Stevia, blueberries, banana, cocoa nibs, granola
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I like to use greek yogurt in place of milk with cereal. I also use honey or jam to sweeten it if I want it sweet. Like many others, I like to use it in place of sour cream.
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I always buy Vanilla Oikos and add peanut butter to mine. Makes it so creamy and I love the flavour combination.
  • Bun_Ya
    Bun_Ya Posts: 174
    Options
    What is your favorite way to eat your greek yogurt?
    Mixed into curry >>>>
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    It sounds nuts but plain yogurt is a great addition to burgers and hearty meals. I eat it with spicy meat and potato meals and with stuffed peppers and many other dinner time meals.

My boyfriends family is Albanian and they eat homemade yougurt with almost all dinner meals. The yogurt they make is similar to greek style plain yogurt. They never eat it in the morning.
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Another way I've done it is put a scoop into a waffle bowl and then freeze it for about 10 minutes. Then I add fresh berries on top for my own version of frozen greek yogurt.

If you do lots of baking, greek yogurt works WONDERFUL in banana bread recipes. Makes the loaf moist and flavourful. Sometimes I add lemon flavoured yogurt to my banana bread recipe to give it a hint of lemon flavour.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I eat plain nonfat greek yogurt with chips and salsa all the time. Tastes like sour cream to me.

+1

I don't eat yogurt to be sweet. I sub it for sour creme and mayonaise. Most commonly I use it on Mexican dishes like taco salads or mexican seasoned meat bowls.

I use it any time a recipe calls for sour cream or mayo as well. I use Cabot- Fage is WAY to expensive.

I also use it for an afternoon snack- but I have 1 scoop (29 grams) of vanilla whey- add black berries- and I now have a delicious protein packed cake tasting snack. 240 calories- 42 grams of protein.

It's such a felexible food!!! I kind of adore it. :D

it's also really good with peaches- mango's aren't doing it for me at this point though.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of adding protein powder. Never thought about that.

THanks for the ideas everyone! What the hell was I thinking eating just Fage and apples yuck :grumble:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Stevia ( I use Trader Joe's stevia powder)
  • 1PieceAtATime
    Options
    Plain Greek yogurt with a packet of sugar free jello is great. I hated Greek yogurt (flavored or plain) until I tried it with 1/4 to 1/3 of a packet of sugar free jello mix. Strawberry, cherry and lime are good but my favorite is lemon jello. With the thickness of the yogurt it tastes like lemon pie.