Salt leads to water retention?

Options
Hi everyone!
I've been cutting calories for about 2weeks now, and it started really well. I've been strict with myself and have only once gone over my calorie limit (by 200). My limit at the moment puts me in a 400calorie deficit per day. I've also stuck to my workouts and have even managed to up the weights on the bar no problem!!
The thing is, I look and feel like I'm gaining fat! Obviously I'm being realistic and don't expect huge (if any) weight loss results in 2weeks, but I'm in a caloric deficit, strength training religiously and eating all natural foods, so I definitely shouldn't be gaining!!
Anyways, I'm wondering if it might be my salt intake... This last week I've been making spinach curry at least once a day but my curry powder always seems very salty. Today I looked at the ingredients and saw that it was 30% pure salt!! And I have been putting LOADS on. No I know it salt doesn't contain calories, but could it lead to water retention in such a short period of time? Can a week of extra salty meals really make me pack on the pounds? And how do I know it's water retention and not fat?
It might seem like a silly question, but thanks to everyone who answers (:

Replies

• hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    yes. on a Friday I will weigh 260, then I will eat fast food with high sodium on Saturday and Sunday, by Monday it always shows I weigh 263-264. it ALWAYS goes back to 260 by Tuesday though lol no joke x.x unless I actually lose or gain more weight. but that's an example of how it works for me :)
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and lay off the salty foods for a couple of days. Re weigh yourself and hopefully u will have ur answer. Good luck!
  • Kel1677
    Kel1677 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Kellie and I am a salt alcoholic :( I need to find a new vice
  • PurpleCupcakes01
    Options
    Bump...I love salt as well. I mean REALLY love salt.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    The harder you work out the more salt you'll sweat off instead of swelling up. Yes, salt causes weight gain on the scale.
  • BurntCoffee
    BurntCoffee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Salt is my frenemy. I hate it. I love it. I try not to make eye contact but once I do I can't help myself.
  • sismyn13
    sismyn13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I can gain 5 pounds overnight when I go on my pickle craze. I love salt! It goes away in a couple of days.
  • RawIndian
    RawIndian Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My answer is a Big YES. Salt forces you to retain water. You can get rid of it by drinking LOTS of water plus eliminate salt.

I think some bodies are capable of retaining more water than others. I am one of them. For example there are times when I eat out I gain about 5 lbs in just one day. But the good news is that it will come back to normal in a couple of days - if I drink lots of water and reduce salt intake.

Note that salt that are naturally in plants and veggies are good. Only the salt from rock is bad especially if you are trying to lose weight.

Here is a great article on why salt is bad.
    http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/condiments/salt.html
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    If you are after FAT LOSS, then salt won't matter. If you are after WEIGHT loss then it will.

Your body needs to keep the same percentage of salt in the body in relation to water. So, if there is more salt, it has to dilute it by retaining more water.

For record purposes, you should simply try to stick to similar sodium intake on a daily basis. If you have like 3x as much sodium the day before your weigh in, you'll weigh much more than you normally would have. Same thing in reverse if you have abnormally less sodium than normal the day before.
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    i notice a difference when i have had really salty foods.. i do not generally add salt to my food and i have been trying to stay away from as much processed food as possible due to the sodium levels..

good luck
  • LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I thought it was a bit odd.. And although I keep on reminding myself that if I'm doing everything right, I can't be gaining fat, it's still frustrating to feel and look bigger!
    I'll cut back on the curry spice from now on haha
  • Kel1677
    Kel1677 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am gonna try Morton salt sub. I has really great reviews
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Wow, I have never heard of curry powder having salt in it.

Also, I have just learned something, as I thought that salt did contain calories.