How long to wait after eating......

Options
before exercising....? On my days off work I get up, have breakfast and want to work out straight away while im motivated but I know this isnt a good idea. How long do I need to wait ideally..?

Thanks in advance for any tips! x

Replies

• jwulgaert
    jwulgaert Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have no real idea honestly. I've been walking out of my way usually about 2-3 miles round trip for my meals so that's 1-1.5 miles eat then 1-1.5 back. Breaking up the meals and the exercise after meals seems to be working well for me.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    If you have the time, about an hour, but a lot of people can't wait an hour. I can't. I already wake up at 5 AM to workout before my 1 year old wakes up because it's hard to workout while she is running around the room next to me. So, I will eat breakfast, wait 5-10 minutes then workout.
  • Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    If I work out in the mornings I usally have a small snack before exercising say a bannana..then exercise and have my brekkie afterwards.. it hasnt affected me so far .. :smile:
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Better Idea is to workout before you eat breakfest! Body then uses stored fat reserves instead of calories just consumed....answer to your question exercise after 1 hr after eating. Good luck:wink:
  • flbwhite
    Options
    Better Idea is to workout before you eat breakfest! Body then uses stored fat reserves instead of calories just consumed....answer to your question exercise after 1 hr after eating. Good luck:wink:

I agree with this.
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Agree also. Always exercise on empty (apart from a glass of water).
  • rwilliams1121
    Options
    From the articles I've read it is best to workout on an empty stomach. Your body uses fat you already have stored, then eat and your metabolism is already revved up and will burn the food you eat too...
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    For me personally, if I don't wait an hour, having food in my stomach makes me feel queasy when I work out. If that's not a problem then it really doesn't matter.

As far as the calories coming from food or fat stores, again it doesn't really matter. If you eat a 500 calorie meal 5 minutes later you haven't absorbed all 500 calories. Also if you exercise and burn 500 calories and assuming all of them came from the food you just ate then until your next meal you're burning your fat stores.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,627 Member
    Options
    I exercise first, then breakfast later. I just find that if I don't exercise first thing other things get in the way! Good luck! Stay motivated.
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I usually wait half an hour, it depends on what i have to do and when i have to be at work; i can't work out on an empty stomach, it makes me feel sick.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Depends how you feel during. I usually wait an hour. I work out better when I wait to eat though.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I can usually work out within minutes of eating, but some people get sick.

I guess it depends on how you feel.

Sometimes if I eat something on the heavier side, though, it takes hours before I can exercise without getting a cramp. Not usually, though.
  • lovinyoutwo
    lovinyoutwo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If I exercise before I eat then I wait about 20 min. If I eat before I exercise then I wait a hour. I don't know why I do that, I just do!!!
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I don't recall the specifics, but Dr.Oz had done a segment on this. He said it's best to not work out on an empty stomach, but don't eat a big breakfast. He recommended an apple or banana or something and then have something heavier after you work out. He said the banana or apple gives you a little energy boost or something. I may recall he said maybe a hard boiled egg may be good too. You might be able to goodle the info and find out.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Generally 45min to 1hr. but they may depend on your stomache. Everyone is different. If that does not work then workout asap then eat right after
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I sometimes will have to grab something small to eat before I exercise. If I exercise on an empty stomach I tend to get dizzy so I will eat with in minutes of going into the gym but with changing it probably ends up being 15 minutes before I actually start working out.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    And the answer is...

In general, you do not really need to eat before you exercise in the morning unless you will be performing an intense workout or the workout will take an extended period of time, meaning >30-45 min. If you are going to eat, I recommend low carb and high protein. I actually recommend this before any exercise. This will optimize fat burning and allow for increased energy during your workout. The rule is to eat about 30-45 min before a workout. After any intense workout, you want to eat something high in protein right after to help promote the body to keep burning fat only. If you are running, it is a totally different ball game, but what I described is for the general exerciser. If you need the running info, just shoot me an e-mail and I will explain that one too.
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Granted, I think the answer is kind of different for everyone, and certainly depends upon what/how much you have eaten - I tend to try to do my morning workout before breakfast, because the waiting afterward tends to kill the motivation as I come up with excuses to avoid the workout.

If you need/want to eat first and it is something light - I found I can do a banana about 45 min before some cardio when I am feeling like I need something - without wanting to die or puke. ^_^

Wish I had a better answer! I always kind of went with that 'No swimming for 30 minutes after you eat' theory just as sort of a rule of thumb. (Even though I think it was just to get us kids to help with meal clean-up!)
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I usually eat about 15-20 minutes before working out. Otherwise, I get light headed (I think it's mostly because I'm pregnant).