Help! Injured and worried!

Options
Jaffsa
Jaffsa Posts: 93 Member
Hello all,
Last week after a nice jog with a friend, I noticed a sharp pain in my ankle/heel/foot on the car ride home. Since then, it has been swollen, bruised and difficult to walk on (going on over a week now). I am on IB Profin and icing it, but I cannot put pressure on it (walking, standing, etc..). I'm feeling worried because I was doing SO well logging my food and exercising, but since the "injury" (I put quotes because I am not exactly sure how this happened) I cannot work out. JUST eating right doesn't get me losing weight. I need the exercise element in order to succeed. What can I do?! I'm feeling discouraged and worried.

Replies

• fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    You can see a doctor to see how bad the injury is--? stress fracture. Sprain? Strain? They can give you advice on how long you will be in pain and what you can do about it.
  • yoderpl
    yoderpl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Injuries can be frustrating--hang in there. The first thing you need to do is get to a doctor and have him/her check that ankle. If it is still swollen after this much time the body is responding to some damage--you have to find out what that is. It was go away just by wishing. The sooner you get medical attention, the sooner you will be back on your feet. Sounds like it could be a stress fracture--but again, a medical professional is essential at this point. Depending on what the doc says, however, there are ways to stay active without stressing the ankle while it heals. If it is indeed a stress fracture, lets hope not, you will have to limit many forms of activity for at least a short period. Swimming wont put stress on the ankle and is an excellent way to get the heart rate up. If you have access to a pool with a deep end, you can even do water running. I do this on my none run day--provides a great running workout while at the same time allowing me a recovery day from the pounding. Interval resistance training is another good option. Get in the gym and lift moderate to light weight with limited rest between sets. Again, it will get your heart rate up, burn some calories, and not put stress on the leg. The added muscle gain will also help your burn more calories as increased lean body mass will result in an increase in base metabolism. Just some thoughts--don't get too discouraged. Think of this as an opportunity to change things up a bit, and switch up the fitness routine--confusing the body is a great way to make gains. Best of luck!
  • Jaffsa
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply with some great ideas!
    I plan to go to the doctor tomorrow to see whats going on as the pain and swelling is staying the same.
    I will be house sitting this weekend and thankfully they have a pool so I will definitely be trying out your suggestion of water running! I'm excited!
    thanks again!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    As others have said, see a doctor for guidance. But remember, weight loss is mostly diet. Also, there may be low impact exercises you can do as you recover. I had severe hip arthritis last year before I got a new hip. I had to use a cane or walker to get around and the pain was intense, but I could still use the elliptical at the gym. Very low impact. The elliptical and the stress reduction from exercise got me through that very dark and depressing year. Best wishes!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I second swimming (as long as your doctor says it's okay). You can also focus on upper body/ab workouts just to keep yourself on track/burn a few extra calories. Here are some bodyweight exercises you can look into: http://greatist.com/fitness/50-bodyweight-exercises-you-can-do-anywhere I recommend the "Core" section. Still--- look up videos before attempting to make sure you understand the form/that it won't put any pressure on your heels.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    1: Go see a doctor.
    2: You CAN lose weight only eating at a deficit
    3: If you start with the idea that you will fail... You will.
  • Jaffsa
    Options
    I second swimming (as long as your doctor says it's okay). You can also focus on upper body/ab workouts just to keep yourself on track/burn a few extra calories. Here are some bodyweight exercises you can look into: http://greatist.com/fitness/50-bodyweight-exercises-you-can-do-anywhere I recommend the "Core" section. Still--- look up videos before attempting to make sure you understand the form/that it won't put any pressure on your heels.

That's great! thank you for the suggestion and resource!!
  • Jaffsa
    Options
    1: Go see a doctor.
    2: You CAN lose weight only eating at a deficit
    3: If you start with the idea that you will fail... You will.

1: Yes ma'am! I'm on it! :wink:
    2 and 3: I know it is possible to lose on a deficit (for some people), however, the way my body works and metabolizes food, it is a little less likely, or maybe just a muuucchhhh slowerrrr process than others. I am all about positive thought- but I only make this claim due to previous experiences. I've been on a weight loss journey (though the roller coaster ride) since I was 12 years old so I know how my body reacts when I am not working out *while* watching what I eat. Its a complicated relationship. :)

Thank you for your input!!