Eating Healthy and Calorie advice

Options
Hello,

I'm completely switching my eating habits around and came up with the image below. I know the minimum should be 1200 calories, but is there anything that I can add to get those extra calories? The image is what would be a "typical" day of my changes.

b1d81ace-0ddd-4c9e-b520-6bbf1649c48b_zpsf3be8d58.png

If the image is too small, the image is here: http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r484/mriffey1/b1d81ace-0ddd-4c9e-b520-6bbf1649c48b_zpsf3be8d58.png

5' 7"
SW: 201
CW: 174
August of last year, was at 159 (gained weight due to thyroid).

Replies

• ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more protein that number is very low MFP gives you minimum so you can eat greek yogurt intead of low fat eat some whole grain toast with egg and add carbs for energy levels especially if you want to exercise if its quanity remember PB is 100 calories per tablespoon and you can make smoothies with it and add fruit can use almond milk or reg milk add protein powder or PB. You could also add fruits. You also need to up sodium and watch potassium especially with summer so you arent depleted ther it will cause leg cramps but worse can affect your heart. Other option is drink your calories
  • prettysenshi
    prettysenshi Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks,

I don't work out, and I'm completely stationary during the day (office job). I physically cannot work out due to some health issues (not related to weight). I have no energy at all, which is part of the problem. The doctor has been running tests for the past 2 years to find out the issue here. Working out or even eating specifics foods do not help. I would like to keep my sodium as low as possible, as I have IBS and sodium makes my stomach visually balloon up and painful. Less sodium the better. Any idea of what the lowest amount of sodium my body would require?

Edit: It looks like the least amount is around 1500 for sodium.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Double the amount of everything, and you're on the right track.

Seriously, I would never recommend my clients eat anything nearly as low as 1200 calories per day, and even for those who are sedentary I would still recommend double what you eat.

Add more eggs to your breakfast, supplement with fish oil, have a sweet potato and sliced avocado with dinner, some chocolate with your dessert, and replace those low calorie processed dairy products with the good stuff! Have some real FULL FAT cheese and some Greek yogurt instead of that watery Dannon crap! :)

If you need more help, you can message me for coaching.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ok first thing, you're probably underestimating your food anyway.

Are you weighing it?

Second, your entries are not accurate. 4oz of chicken breast is nowhere near 210 calories, 1/2 cup of green beans is not 120g and is not 20 calories either (90g is about 25 calories).

Third, I agree with the others - get some 2% or full fat yogurt and full fat cheese. Double the meat and veggies. Have some protein at lunch. For breakfast I'd ditch the juice and make yourself an omelet with some cheese, egg (and/or egg whites) and veggies.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I notice you're quite low-carb, but also eating low-to-moderate fat. Are you low-carb due to insulin-resistance because of your hypothyroidism? Or any other reason?

If you're low-carb due to insulin-resistance (or any reason) I'd recommend upping your fat intake. Healthy nuts, oils and things like cheese, butter, fattier cuts of meats, etc. (note: the meats and cheese will also increase your protein - which is good...) all increase your calories without increasing your carbohydrate. If you're trying to be lower-carb, I'd increase your fat intake another 50-60g for a total of 450-540 additional calories.

If you're not trying to eat low-carb, and don't have a medical need to, then I'd double your carbohydrate and fat intake you have today... This will add an additional 500 calories a day.

Even with hypothyroidism either of those changes should keep you in a modest caloric deficit - *if* you're being treated for the hypothyroidism, that is.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ice cream …ice cream always solves all problems..