Goals More Than A Weightloss Goal

Options
Hi, my name is Nicholle and I'm just starting out on my fitness journey. I've seen tons of people post about what their goal weight is, but what about other goals? I am trying to set myself some shorter term attainable goals; such as, getting at least 7 hours of sleep, drinking at least 64 ounces of water, etc. And I am wondering what are some mini goals you have set to help you along the way. I know that if I only focus on the overall goal of losing 80+ pounds I will never feel like I am making progress and will end up feeling discouraged. That is why I feel like making these smaller short term goals is necessary. Anyway thanks for any and all comments!!

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I want to be able to run a 5k and a mud run by the end of summer.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Well since I am not loosing weight and that was not a goal for me in this 2 year journey so far. I can easily say there are so many short term as well as long term goals I have had and have right now. Eating healthy not vague adding more fruits and for me more fats daily right now I am having to increase protein again higher than MFP says but others agree with this MD included. At times I have had to watch carbs to keep energy up. In Gym we started wtih short term goals lift x amount of reps, For me preparing to ski competitively this winter was a huge long term one and accomplished with 2 first and a I finished in salome which for me is a huge goal. Flexibility, learning new skills in gym dead lifts and right now all the trainers say I am crazy I am determined I will be jump roping on bosu ball this summer. Mental goals are to see myself as others do ( a little hard on myself) drinking correctly for my system more G2 not water I have issues with dropping sodium. Goal for next winter is to compete again and ski against others that are at my ability n nationals as well as coach my awesome home team to another victory as a team
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    feel better about how your clothes fit, get stronger do more reps or heavier weights, do something new like a 5K or fun run, compete in a rec sports league, etc.
  • Lillyeatslilies
    Options
    I want to be able to run a 5k and a mud run by the end of summer.

This is also one of my goals that and being able to feel more comfortable in my own skin.
  • sammama5
    sammama5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Right now, my goal is to be able to ride my bike 6 miles in 30 minutes. I live in the country, and that is how long my "block" is. There are rolling hills, I'm riding a mountain bike, and we get a lot of wind around our home: all of which slow me down. I'd love to be able to do that by the end of the summer!
  • mommiejohnsonof6
    mommiejohnsonof6 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    to get my water in . and stop snacking.
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    one of the goals i've set is to finish the couch to 5k program (on week 7 of 9) i found that if i have a program like that where there is a start and finish, i'm more likely to complete it, after completing it, my goal will be to do it in less time using a 5k time improvement program. other goals i've had where ones like getting down from a 48 waist pants to at least a 38 so i could shop in most clothing stores instead of big and tall. which i recently accomplished. i also set a goal of being able to ice skate and eventually play adult league hockey with a friend, i started skating last week and have gone 3x, it's a great way to burn calories and stay cool.

all in all setting mini goals like that though has helped me tremendously, more so then just looking at my long term goal of losing 135lbs
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Some of my long term fitness goals are:

Finish C25K for a second time but work on upping speed and getting the full mileage (got the 30min running down the first time). Would love to complete a 12 minute and 10 minute mile.

Be able to do an unassisted chin up, pull up and pistol squat
    Do a one handed push up and maybe a handstand push up
    Maybe be able to do a one handed chin up and pull up

One day get access to barbells and really work hard towards a 300lb deadlift and a 250lb back squat.
  • terralala
    terralala Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I want to be comfortable enough with my size to go skydiving this summer, Its less a goal and more a reward I guess but its still what I am working towards.
  • KarissaA
    KarissaA Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My current non-weight goals are to drink at least 10 cups of water everyday and finish my couch to 5k training. Once that's done, I am upping it to a minimum of 12 and to either improve my running time to less than 11 minutes or to do a 5k-10k program.

My reward for drinking enough water is that I bloat less, lol. My reward for finishing the C25k is that I get to sign up for the Hot Chocolate run next year.