Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    dat gum it...roughly 8 pounds lost. see previous post
  • wendylala1
    wendylala1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a question or three: are you sure that you're being honest with yourself when you log (good, bad, or ugly)? Could it be that during the times that you've just added calories w/o saying what the food was, that you didn't want to admit to yourself or allow anyone else to look at what you ate? Are you prone to binging when you're stressed or down?
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I'm just here because I'm obviously a meanie and I agree with the other users. I think Aaron's idea of eating at home for a few weeks is good just to make sure you are eating at goal and you have more control over the calories you're consuming.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Okay - I need a smack down. I like to think I am doing everything right, but clearly I am not. I know I need to eat less and move more. I just looked at my progress chart. I've been losing and gaining the same couple pounds since NOVEMBER!! That's absolutely zero progress in 7 months. That's ridiculous.

My calorie goal is 1670 (obviously too high - need to figure out what to lower it to - I follow IIFYM so I don't track exercise) - I go to kickboxing twice a week, see a trainer once a week and go to the gym one additional day (obviously not enough).

I have a scale and I use it. I've cut back on eating out (not enough obviously). If I don't start seeing some progress on the scale soon I'm going to lose it. I've been steadily gaining weight this month and the whole situation is just making me miserable. I want to quit - but then I'll just be more fat so that's not an option.

I'm 5'8 - 185lbs (ugh - did I just admit that) and 41 yrs old. I do NOT want to have to eat only 1200 calories a day or do any ridiculous fad diets, but I am desperate to see some progress. Oh and I've not lost ANY inches - not a single clothing size - so noooo I don't need to throw out the scale and just measure myself.

You are in the same place I am except I've been fuxxing with the same 5 lbs since December of last year. I know what my problem is - it looks a lot like yours. I have decided that I just don't care as much as I should and I'm happy losing WAY slower because I am not willing to give up doing what is causing the issue for me..

Looking at your diary for the last 2 weeks, at least half of those days included some form of 'take out' (ie. Starbucks, Pappa Johns, Quick Calories) So half the time you are relying on someone else to make your food. I guarantee that the calorie counts on every one of those items is off - by at least 10%. Your tiny deficit, is disappearing every week to the take out. I have the same problem. So even though you are weighing food, you are still eating food that isn't weighed and trusting that the source of the food really cares about you enough to make the calories equal what they tell you.. they don't. Trust NO ONE but yourself.

The suggestion given earlier to stop eating out will work - it works for me too, I just don't do it :p If you want to keep eating out then drop your intake by 200 calories / day and keep doing what you're doing OR add another workout. If you don't already have a spreadsheet for tracking your daily intake, starting one might help you see the problem.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - I would suggest that you really tighten up your logging and weigh/measure/log every single morsel of food that you eat for two to three weeks and see if you start losing again. Also, I looked over your diary and you have a lot of days where you are over by aby about 75 to 100 calories….if you are over 75 calories a day for seven days straight that is an extra 525 calories a week ..

I would suggest that you try coming in under your 1670 mark say 1650 and see how it goes….
  • catruledquilter
    catruledquilter Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    MyChocolate: at least I'll never have to worry about a pregnancy test...I'm 62 & had a hysterectomy when I was 28. :laugh: I do love your general suggestions, though...and, like you said, OP said anything goes for suggestions!!

BTW, I'm 62, 5'2" and at 192...that is down 11#. I weigh everything in metric (including myself) and sometimes have to convert when I can't find an exact measurement match. I don't have a problem with that at all.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    So not preggo - no one wants a big old lady!! :laugh: I could only wish that would be an option....

Thanks for all the advice and for confirming what I should already know! Going to get back to logging EVERYTHING and being as accurate as possible. I think I'll start by dropping my calories by 200 tomorrow and see how that goes. That should also force me to make better choices - hard to stay under the smaller the goal is. No room for junk! And definitely need to stop the "oh it's just a little in the red I'll be fine" mindset.

Someone asked about Quick Adds. Yesterday we went out for Mother's Day. I had a couple bites of something Kid ordered - and it wasn't in the nutritional information and a couple bites of my Mom's potatoes. I probably could have found some numbers for the potatoes. Last week at a work function they severed light appetizers - like a meatball and a bite-sized piece of chicken and pita cracker - I just used quick add because I have no idea how to log that accurately. I don't care if anyone is looking at my dairy and sees what I eat. Not trying to hide - just either can't figure out how to log it, accounting for some nibbles or I logged something that I think isn't enough calories and needs a buffer.

I feel so much better now. I've been so down for the last few days and wanting to quit, but I got this. You all confirmed what I needed to know. Get my act together and it will all come together. :flowerforyou:
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is time for a heart rate monitor and eating calories from exercise back? You metabolism could be needing a bit more input to feel comfortable eating fat instead of storing it.

No, there is NO way that the reason you are not losing weight is that you are not eating enough.

BMR is 1600 which she is at. If I eat at BMR and don't eat exercise back I don't loose crap.

If this was physiologically possible than there would be no such thing as death by starvation.

Ergo, you are wrong.