Question about BMR

Options
OK, I have seen several posts urging people to eat AT LEAST your BMR calories. According to this calculator, my BMR is 1560. I calculated my goal using the sites calculator. It is set at 1 pound per week loss, sedentary. That says to eat 1450. So, I am confused. I have stuck to my calories diligantly and have not lost for the last 2 weeks. Should I be eating the 1560 BMR, or the 1450 goal calculation? HELP!!!!!

Replies

• tlitzner
    tlitzner Posts: 124
    Options
    OK, I have seen several posts urging people to eat AT LEAST your BMR calories. According to this calculator, my BMR is 1560. I calculated my goal using the sites calculator. It is set at 1 pound per week loss, sedentary. That says to eat 1450. So, I am confused. I have stuck to my calories diligantly and have not lost for the last 2 weeks. Should I be eating the 1560 BMR, or the 1450 goal calculation? HELP!!!!!
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    Everything out there is based on someone's algorithm and not all of them pair up the way we all would like to make things simpler for us. I would recommend that you stick with the MFP calculations and only increase it to the BMR level if you are losing weight too fast for your goal. Look around the web for other calculators and see if you can find some that allow you to enter more details about you and your activities.
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer myself but here's an interesting thread titled "Eat Your BMR or Net your BMR?"

http://www.calorie-count.com/forums/post/76668.html
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    So in order to be at a sufficient caloric deficit (-500 calories/day) and ALSO eat above your BMR, you'd have to do some daily exercises. This way your target caloric intake of 1450 would go up and surpass your BMR.

BTW, my BMR is also higher than the target set by this site. I think this is common for people who select "sedentary" in the goals section.
  • jeramyk
    jeramyk Posts: 2
    Options
    I am confused. I see a lot of people saying "Don't go below BMR." Where does this rule come from? I have also seen the rule "maintain a minimum of 8 calories per pound of weight." Same thing, where do these minimums come from?

I am interested specifically because my current BMR is 2029 cal, myfitnesspal recommends 1790 cal to lose 1.5lbs/wk which doesn't seem too hard to manage and I have been losing weight but if there is documented reason I should pick that number up for sake of my health I certainly will.
  • musica814
    musica814 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    bump