Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How many sets of workout clothes do you recommend?

I break an actual sweat 3 days a week when I do my C25K workout. These are the only days when I wear fitness clothing -- the other days are lots of walking paired with "pajama workouts" like yoga and light strength training. I currently have one "workout outfit" consisting of a sports bra, shirt and pants -- all c9 stuff from Target. I have been getting annoyed with having to do laundry every other day in order to have my outfit available when I need it...

This got me curious -- how much fitness clothing do people generally have? Am I trying to skate by with too little? Would upping it to 2 outfits make enough of a difference? Or do I really need to go for 3 so I can have more flexibility on when I do laundry? I know it's probably really variable, but some different experiences/ routines would be helpful.

Also, a relative of mine received a Christmas gift of special detergent for fitness clothing -- is this necessary? Apparently the normal stuff does something had to the wicking fibers of workout clothes?

This may seem like I strange question, but I am trying to lose weight and am hoping to change sizes a few times over the next year; so trying not to make too much of an investment in this clothing size. Thanks!

Replies

• doodlecakes_07
    doodlecakes_07 Posts: 69 Member
    Since you have 3 solid days of sweating, have 3 solid outfits. Personally, I'm not to great with keeping up laundry, so I have to have options available. I workout a ton, so I have like 10 pairs of running shorts, 3 pairs of spandex, 10+workout tops, 2 running tights, 5 yoga pants, 10 pairs of socks... the list goes on and on.

Anyways, I think you should have 3 outfits, and as they stop fitting, they can just be your backup clothes for days you're running behind on laundry.

Special laundry detergent is only necessary if you sweat a lot and it doesn't smell nice. Hmmm.. i should probably invest in that. hahaha. You should be fine without it, as long as you keep up with washing your clothes (which I fail to do).
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    I am learning quickly that I can't recycle workout clothing if i am going to the gym. If I am biking outside or working out at home, I will reuse clothing once but then it gets really funky. I would have multiple shirts and pants so if you don't do laundry one day, it's okay.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    I have more fitness clothing than I do regular clothing. I live in yoga pants, a tank top, and a hoodie. Summer means cropped yoga pants, tank, and no hoodie.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    I like having at least one extra outfit than days of exercising. Why? Because if I can't do laundry before the week is over, I still have another set:) I suggest Danskin Now, at Walmart. They have a good selection and good prices, better than C9. As for at-home workouts, I don't even wear an outfit, just sport bra and undies. I only get dressed to leave the house...

As for the laundry detergent, I don't use anything different on workout clothes. Just remember not to use fabric softener. The added softener will coat the fabric and make it less breathable.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    I recommend as many as you are comfortable with.

Personally I have 3 really good pairs of gym pants (faves) and then about 3 other pairs that I wear, but only when the other ones are in the wash. I couldn't tell you how many tops I have, probably about 15 at a guess. I have 4 sports bras, 6 crop tops (I always wear a sports bra AND a crop top under my tshirt), and at least 10 pair of sport socks.

That way, I can go a week without washing and not worry about it, Although I usually wash more frequently and I have never even heard of using separate washing liquid for exercise gear - that is just some clever marketing person putting our dollars to work.

Having said that - have as many outfits as you feel necessary. I had a lot less when I was bigger and used to wear the same 2 pair of pants and 5 t-shirts in rotation but as I got smaller I loved buying new and groovy workout gear.

Also, I found that if I felt good wearing something, I'd be more likely to have a better workout (weird).
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Call me crazy but mine is one and done.... lol Even on my split training days, it is two clean outfits and I have enough workout clothes to only do laundry on Sunday's and that's even if I went to the gym twice a day, seven days a week..... But I think I own more workout clothes than I do regular clothes.... lol..
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    If you work out 3 times I would have 3 outfits or possibly 4.

I workout 6 days and have at least that many tops and bottoms but I only have 5 sports bras and it's really bugging me. Edited to add: I have a host of other non fave items that have to do with weather conditions or specialty workouts like yoga or undies with padding that I use under regular bottoms for cycling etc.

Like you I am planning on going down in sizes so I don't want to spend a lot. I'm willing to spend some cash on good quality pants/shorts so I usually buy rei or new balance for that. I pay more but workout stuff has a lot of give and those sizes last me forever.

Shirts I don't need to be fancy as long as they meet my 3 requirements. 1 Lightweight, 2 sleeveless and 3 wicking because I get HOT. I usually buy the C9 advanced tops from Target on clearance when I need them. My current shirts are too big so I just picked up a couple from Target today.

I have a couple Danskin bottoms but they aren't wicking so I get sweaty and hot. I find they don't keep their shape really well but I am still using them until they fall off. :happy:

Don't forget you could work out in old t-shirts/shorts. Lots of people do but I personally like the wicking stuff.

Totally agree with everyone else's info about laundry detergent.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    This is what I have ...... five days a week at the gym, so five different sets of workout gear ...... nothing too pricey or fancy ...... bras (I'll sometimes wash by hand in Woolite) ..... shorts, tees, yoga pants ....... two pair of sneakers. I ask for gift certificates for my birthday & Christmas :drinker:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    I'm not the one to ask. I like clothes way too much for a dude.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    I have a LOT of workout clothes (I have a Lululemon obsession) I wear some of the tanks casually with jeans though because they are so dang cute and comfy. I find that if I feel like I look good working out/running/whatever then I am happier doing it and more likely to have a more successful workout.
    -4 running skirts -5 pairs of shorts -5 pairs of crops -6 pairs of yoga pants
    -6 sports bras -24 tanks (probably) -1 running jacket (with reflective elements so I don't get ran over!)

Moisture wicking fabric does lose its' efficacy over time if you put it in the dryer. Let your items air dry and they'll stay looking and performing at their best for a long time. (I've got a pair of lululemon pants I bought when I was still in High School that still look and feel great!)
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    As many as you can afford LOL. I believe in looking great when working out, I own 15 pairs of workout bottoms and more than that in tops, have fun with your outfits..Everything i buy can be washed and dried in the laundry room..
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Call me crazy but mine is one and done.... lol Even on my split training days, it is two clean outfits and I have enough workout clothes to only do laundry on Sunday's and that's even if I went to the gym twice a day, seven days a week..... But I think I own more workout clothes than I do regular clothes.... lol..

I want to be like this.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I usually have one pair of pants and a bunch of shirts (6 dollars each kind). But, sometimes I have different pants depending on if I am dancing, lifting weights, being outdoors, or performing.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    I probably have more workout clothes than needed and more than work clothes :)
    Mine is mostly inexpensive and purchased at Target, Kohls and JC Penneys. I live in my workout clothes except when I am at work.
  • annie61702
    annie61702 Posts: 120 Member
    I work out 5 days a week, and I can't imagine wearing workout clothes more than once. I sweat way too much for that! I have a bunch of clothes for working out. It seems like you need at least 3 sets of clothing. I do laundry every weekend, so I could get by with less than I have, but I like clothes.
  • GallifreyanGirl396
    GallifreyanGirl396 Posts: 76 Member
    My good friend lifts weights in whatever, just changes her shoes. I've seen her in jeans, turtlenecks, glittery tops... anything. She always gets an amazing workout and can lift more than any other woman I know!

However, I have to wear something comfy. I don't break the bank though. I buy some light weight shirts on clearance racks. I've tried the moisture wicking tops, but have decided to use them only for kayaking. After a few heavy workouts, I can't seem to make them smell normal again. :embarassed: I have 3-5 pairs of shorts that I use for kayaking or hiking. I have like 2 pairs of yoga pants and 2 pairs of yoga shorts that I use for the gym,and a pair of yoga capris. I have a running jacket for light drizzle and one for fairly chilly days. I have at least 4 pairs of workout shoes,depending on the activity at hand. Also, several pairs of specific socks. I can't stand for my socks not to match my clothes. I think the most important details I pay attention to are: sports bras, undies, shoes,and socks. Shoes and sports bras in particular wear out quickly with me, so I try to buy quality ones whenever I make a purchase,and quickly replace them whenever they're too worn out.

That sounds like a lot I guess, but I try to find things that I can wear as I get smaller. I can't run in the capri pants, because they're too large. Also, I try to modify my clothes as I go. You can buy a hideous pair of workout pants and look up a few pinterest ideas to make them better. I have a few actual "workout" shirts,but primarily use old t shirts that have some life left. You can also modify them when they start to get too large. I don't really want to invest in too many workout clothes before goal. I do pick up some pieces here and there to prevent looking like a slob though. If I feel self conscious about what I'm wearing, I can't work up the confidence to have a good workout. haha

ETA: Since I rambled a lot,but didn't answer the question, I think you should have at least 3.
  • CookingMamaAUS
    CookingMamaAUS Posts: 25 Member
    Don't worry about the special detergent, and avoid using fabric softener. That stuff is unnecessary and is more likely to cause smells to build up in your fabrics. Just use a small amount of laundry detergent, and if your gear is a bit smelly wash in warm water and with an extra rinse or pre-wash cycle. If you can, dry in the sun on a washing line - UV light is a natural steriliser and will leave everything really fresh.