Sleep and appetite

annaatlp84
annaatlp84 Posts: 26
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been getting more sleep lately (I usually get between 4-5.5 hrs/night and now I'm up to a little over 7 hrs) and I have been feeling a lot more energetic and a little less hungry.. Why does my sleep affect my appetite?

Replies

• stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Exhaustion! Your body needs some fuel, if not from rest then food.
    Also more sleep, less opportunity to eat.

I read there was a study done that people who get less than 6 hours a sleep a night are on average heavier by 5 kgs than those who get more sleep! Something to think about!

I found it really hard to lose any weight for the first 3 months after my baby was born - because I was getting like 2-3 hours of sleep a day!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Agreed! Also, working out in General helps with a better night sleep, and more energy. I find myself popping out of bed happy. very weird :)
  • bosanka
    bosanka Posts: 336 Member
    Yes. This is a big issue. I have a hard time getting myself " in the bed " i don't have a hard time to sleep- just ot " get " to the bed.
    I always think - i have something else to do.. i need to do .. i have to do.. etc. So i don't sleep more than 5 hours either.

We need to sleep in best case scenario not less than 6 hours and not more than 8 - so the " ideal " is somewhere arround 7 hours a day.

" The DEEP " sleep happens- if we sleep that amount of time- if you sleep 4-5 hours you can't get the " real deep " sleep - the one that releases some type of hormones.. renews the cells etc.

You sleep less you release the " stress hormones " - and that can couse weight gain. But also appetite increase.

I 'm still just " talking the talk " i'm trying to walk the talk myself.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    There are 2 things your body needs, rest and fuel. If you get more of one you can usually do with less of the other. A good balance is 7.5 to 9 hours of sleep and you maintenance calorie intake plus enough water to optimize energy levels.
  • purple1butterfly
    purple1butterfly Posts: 599 Member
    There are 2 things your body needs, rest and fuel. If you get more of one you can usually do with less of the other. A good balance is 7.5 to 9 hours of sleep and you maintenance calorie intake plus enough water to optimize energy levels.

I find if i get 10hrs sleep i feel so much better & i know i need more when it is my peroid time as i get bad migranes.
    I feel so much better after a workout
  • Thanks for all the great info/advice. I'm going to try to continue to go to bed early but sometimes it's just not going to happen. I'm a full-time Senior in college and work 35+ hours a week... Any good advice for foods to eat when 7 or 8 hours just isn't realistic?
This discussion has been closed.