Best exercises for fat loss?

Options
I am looking for the best exercises for fat loss. I have access to bootcamp classes, Barre/Dailey Method, gymboss/tabata classes, weights in the gym and cardio equipment.

If I could ask for the sky, I would ask someone to give me a two week plan that I could repeat. I am 140 lbs/size 10 currently, want to get down to 126 lbs/size 4-6 and be toned. I am almost 40 years old and have had two kids, the youngest is 18 months old. If you could also look at my food diary and give some suggestions there? What should I be eating for protein, carbs, fat?

Thanks!

Replies

• agent99oz
    agent99oz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I do 3 days of heavy weight training and 3 days of cardio training so HIIT or quick power swim.

looking at your diary you eat different amounts each day for each meal and you are carb heavy. For me I find a bit more protein is better. I always eat a protein heavy brekkie I also stop all eating at 6pm and no eating for a good 12 hours this does help with fat loss.

feel free to add me... am currently doing the Venus program
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    Calorie deficit
    It doesnt really matter what exercise you do, if you dont have your eating habits in check you will never be able to out exercise a bad diet.

Chose something you enjoy, try out a few different routines. There are plenty of free videos on Youtube :smile:

Any form of resistance training is also fantastic for fat loss!
    Edit to add: fat loss not just weight loss. Resistance training will help you to keep Lean Body Mass while eating at a deficit.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Fork putdowns and table push-aways.

Weight lifting will build strength and muscle mass. Cardio will build heart and lung health. Eating less than your maintenance will lose fat.

The calorie burn of exercise is a side effect, not the main driver for doing it.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit, weights, some cardio, and time. That's really all there is to it. There's no one exercise that is going to be better than another, especially if you are not at a deficit. You're already within a healthy weight range, which means time is going to be a big factor - it takes longer to lose the closer you are to goal. Just keep plugging along and you'll get there.
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    Fork putdowns and table push-aways.

Love it! :laugh:
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The best exercises for fat loss are the ones you enjoy doing. I could proclaim the elliptical is the best cardio in the world but you might think it sucks. In that case, you won't do it. My advice is focus on eating at a calorie deficiency and experiment with different exercises until you find the ones you enjoy and will stick with over the long haul.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I know Tabata is one of the most difficult forms of hiit. 2:1 ratio this would also be the most time efficient form of HIIT. I have never seeing a person who can do 3:1 ratio HIIT.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    The best exercises for fat loss are the ones you enjoy doing.

I totally agree with the above! You have to find something you enjoy doing and stick with it!

I am also 40 with 2 kids and have had success doing a mixture of Jillian DVD's, running and using free weights at home. I really enjoy Jillian's workouts. I am now increasing the weights I use during the exercises and can really see my muscle definition increasing.

ETA: you really have to sweat too! If you choose to do a Jillian DVD or any other workout...don't just go through the motions. Push yourself to work hard! A heart rate monitor can be a great tool when exercising. Its a great motivator too! It really opens your eyes to how many calories you are burning. Same goes for a food scale. It is a great tool for logging you caloric intake. The two work hand and hand....calories in vs. calories out

Good luck!! You can do it! :smile:
  • cldmolly
    cldmolly Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I know Tabata is one of the most difficult forms of hiit. 2:1 ratio this would also be the most time efficient form of HIIT. I have never seeing a person who can do 3:1 ratio HIIT.

Can you explain the 2:1 ratio or 3:1 ratio? What is that? (I know what HIIT and Tabata is but don't know what the ratios mean)

Thanks!
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Can you explain the 2:1 ratio or 3:1 ratio? What is that? (I know what HIIT and Tabata is but don't know what the ratios mean)

Thanks!

2:1 for example would be like if I am jump roping. 60 sec go hard 30 sec rest repeat till you cannot anymore.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Sprinting is what I heard.

But I scrolled down and saw Tabata. I heard that's good, too.

Any HIIT I think.

Good luck!
  • cldmolly
    Options

Thanks!

2:1 for example would be like if I am jump roping. 60 sec go hard 30 sec rest repeat till you cannot anymore.

Much appreciated! I assume 3:1 would be 90 seconds to 30 seconds of rest. (I'm not just a hat rack!... lol)
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Thanks!

Much appreciated! I assume 3:1 would be 90 seconds to 30 seconds of rest. (I'm not just a hat rack!... lol)

correct.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Anything you enjoy doing........... And sweat!!!

Eat less, Move a lot more - The weight WILL come off.

Drink lots of water too, like me : )
  • Miss_james1990
    Miss_james1990 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Obviously get your diet in check but also swing some heavy weights around ;) since I've started weights I'm noticing a lot better results than I ever did doing just cardio
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy cardio and strength training videos from FitnessBlender, been using them since I started. I also did Jillian Michael's Level 1 30 Day Shred but it was a pain, however it did make a difference...whatever you enjoy :)
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I do 3 days of heavy weight training and 3 days of cardio training so HIIT or quick power swim.

looking at your diary you eat different amounts each day for each meal and you are carb heavy. For me I find a bit more protein is better. I always eat a protein heavy brekkie I also stop all eating at 6pm and no eating for a good 12 hours this does help with fat loss.

feel free to add me... am currently doing the Venus program
    I agree with agent99 about the protein.

I do 3 hard, full body workouts per week (New a Rules of Lifting Supercharged). On non lifting days I do something easy, like walking at a moderate pace, elliptical if it's raining, etc. I eat any time of day, including right before bed. That does not seem to affect fat loss for me.

As others have said, the correct calorie deficit is important, but including heavy weight training will really help with body composition. But make sure you're eating enough to fuel your workouts!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Try all the different options and gravitate towards whatever you enjoy the most as you want to be in this for the long run.

Protein - aim for >100g a day. Figures will vary according to the person but if you can hit 140g then even better. You could calculate your exact requirements based on your weight but it isn't really necessary - just eat lots of protein. If you overshoot, it's not a problem. (People do claim you can eat too much - 600g a day is "too much" and that equates to 40 chicken drumsticks.) This means dropping your carb intake to avoid taking in too many calories.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I found cardio to be an excellent exercise for weight loss for me personally.
    But mix it up and do what you like.
    As long as you are burning more than you're eating I don't think it matters much :)
  • cldmolly
    Options
    I find no matter what exercise I do, I get bored after awhile so I rotate through classes, weight training, cardio, etc. I don't hate any one specific exercise (okay, maybe burpees) so I'm really good to try new things.

I have adjusted my macros - if you want to have a look at them and let me know if those look better?

Also, I absolutely need to add more protein, but have been struggling. I don't eat fish or tofu but otherwise am good to go with other proteins. I just need to do more prep. Slowly but surely.