daily calorie goal

Options
I don't know if I'm getting too many calories or not enough.

Right now, with the selections I made when I started using MFP in early Sept., I'm getting 1500 calories a day. I'm not losing much weight at all and I'm STARVED! Granted, I have a 2 month old and I am going from eating what I want to trying to limit myself and that's hard.

Here are my stats:

I'm 5'3, 170 pounds...I play volleyball one night a week, but I rarely make it to the gym. I'm VERY busy and don't lay around at the house when I am here...after all, I have a 2.5 year old and an infant...who has time to lay around? :) I listed myself as not very active. Should I change that?

What's happening is I'm getting so hungry after work that I eat ALOT for dinner and then feel horrible. I eat a good fiber rich breakfast, drink lots of water, and take snacks like pretzels and fruit to get me through the workday.

I'm new to this and am still learning!

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? You may want to do this if you are finding yourself hungry. MFP has already created a deficit in order for you to lose the amount of weight you entered in as your weekly goal. Also, you should try and incorporate protein into your breakfast. This will help to keep you fuller longer. Protein rich snacks are great as well to soothe cravings. String cheese, nuts, avacados, etc...Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Are you breast feeding? If so you need extra caloric intake for that as well.
  • sanrich28
    sanrich28 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making a wise choice to be healthy -- for you AND for your precious children!

I suggest you cut back to 1200 calories. This may sound drastic, but it is doable and it is not permanent. If you know what serving sizes are - about the size of the palm of your hand in most cases - your 1200 calories per day can be made up with these SERVINGS:

5 complex carbohydrates (whole grain breads, cereals, pasta, crunchy low fat snacks like the pretzels, starchy veggies like potatoes and corn) whole grains and fibers are better and more filling. They take longer for your body to process, to it works a little harder burning calories!
    5 meats (the leaner the better, also peanut butter, cheese, eggs, cottage cheese, etc.)
    3 fruits
    2 vegetables (but you can add more if you feel hungry - there are fewer calories than even a handful of pretzels)
    2 low fat milk products (yogurt, skim or 1%) (16 oz total)
    Limit fats! Fats hide in some breads (biscuits, cornbread, chips and other snacks and crackers). Fats are oils, spreads, nuts, dressings, etc. Think about the amount you use and how often you use it and eliminate some of those times or replace with something smarter (low fat or fat free when possible, or none if you can manage without it.)
    Keep drinking the water! Measure it! Make sure you consume 64 oz or more per day! That is 8 - 8 oz glasses. Drink before your meal and you won't have room for much more.

Then as you see your weight changing to where you want to be, gradually add servings of complex carbs or proteins, etc. to your diet. 1500 is a decent amount, but not for everyone. Your rate of metabolism dictates how you process those calories, and sometimes age dictates metabolism.

If you are chasing a 2.5 year old and tending to a baby, you may not even be eating because you're hungry but because you're stressed or lonely. Try to recognize how you feel when you are eating, snacking, or hungry, and manage those times in some other way: call a friend, listen to music, read something inspirational, etc.

I'm not sure what compelled me to respond to your post, but I hope this can give you some ideas that might help you in your quest for a healthier you! Best of luck to you!
  • kristibag81
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!

I just started back to work full time, so yes doing that and chasing my kids even with my husbands help can be super stressful!

The night I play volleyball, I do eat a little more because I feel like I need it.

Oh, and I've already stopped breastfeeding.

I will try cutting back and seeing what happens. I've lost a little weight, but it's like I'm stuck at 170 and have been for a few weeks now! I need to go back and look at my journal and see what I can get rid of...creamer in my coffee, even sugar free, I know needs to go...
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    So firstly, if you're breast feeding, you will have different caloric needs than most, so you should absolutely go see a registered dietitian that specializes in post natal care and nutrition. Your OB should have some recommendations. What you shouldn't be doing is drastically cutting calories without first talking to an expert, that's putting not only you but your infant at risk (again, if you are breast feeding). Breast feeding puts a tremendous toll not only on caloric requirements but also on micro nutrient needs (vitamins and minerals), so please, if you are (breast feeding), please talk to a professional who has experience in this area (Please note, doctors are great, but they are NOT necessarily registered dietitians, and many doctors don't have adequate nutrition training to provide the best advice, which is why I said a registered dietitian).
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,652 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree with SHBoss1673 about not cutting calories. If you're chasing after a toddler all day plus have a baby, you're going to need those extra calories because of all the energy you're expending.

When you said "not very active" did you put sedentary or lightly active? I would change my goals to at least lightly active and see how you do. Plus eat lots of protein and fiber...those keep you fuller longer.
  • rundgrenfan
    Options
    I'm hungry, too. I'm thinking that is okay now; I really feared hunger before starting this site. I can't eat as much at meals as I used to. I am afraid to even type in what I was eating; it must have been multiple thousands of calories. I feel good now when I have waited until hunger to eat, like I really deserve those calories now! Hang in there!
  • kristibag81
    Options
    I had myself listed as lightly active which I would agree with on most days.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,652 Member
    Options
    Ooooo ok. I completely missed the part where you said you were working during the day now and not chasing after the kids the whole time. But still...what are you doing for work?

Lightly active is probably right for you and it sounds like you're eating healthy but you might want to open up your diary to see if people have any other suggestions.
  • lainey137
    Options
    I work full time and I think 1200 is doable. If you are still hungry I think changing what you eat might be the way forward- loads and loads of raw vegetables whilst at work, snacking on vegetables and fruit will fill you up rather than three big meals. Drink loads and loads of water- helps you digest- it's goof for you and it fills you up.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    You are only 2 months post-partum so I would think that your dietary needs are different than most people even if you are not breastfeeding. Pregnancy and childbirth is very difficult on the body and you are still healing. I would ask your dr for a recommendation to a dietician who specializes in post natal care.