Weight Gain and Zyrtec?

Options
Hi! So I'm just writing to see if anyone else has experienced weight gain with taking Zyrtec regularly. I've always taken allergy medications for my seasonal allergies, so this year was no different. I started on Zyrtec a little earlier than normal because I could feel that they were going to be worse this year than before. At the time I started, I weighed in at about 110-114 pounds. Within a month, I started to notice my body changing a little bit more, even though I hadn't made any alterations to my eating pattern or exercise. I weighed myself, watching my weight climb from 116 to 118 to 120 to now 123 pounds. I know the weight will come off sooner or later, but how soon if some of you have experienced the same thing? It's completely FRUSTRATING! I worked so hard to get down to 110, and now look at me!

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    no, i take zyrtec every day and have never noticed any effects.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    bump
  • InfamousFox
    InfamousFox Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I definitely gained weight with Zyrtec. I still take it daily though, along with 3 other (and sometimes 4!) meds to 'control allergies' - basically keeps them from killing me, I think. I had to quit taking all of the meds for a few days recently for some testing and I noticed when I was off, my head was much clearer and I was less fatigued. Fatigue is a huge issue for me! When I'm fatigued, I tend to stuff my face with sugary carby things to get through the day - and those things are usually hi cal too! ew. That could be the reason for the weight gain. I'm doing allergy shots so I can eventually stop taking the meds. Have you ever considered it?
  • dleddy95
    dleddy95 Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm considering seeing an allergist for shots soon, most likely to start a plan for next year. It'd be the easier option rather than having to be on all types of different medications for my symptoms like I am now! How have your shots worked out for you so far?
  • InfamousFox
    InfamousFox Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    the shots are a definite commitment. I've only just restarted - but, I know from previous experience I get quite a bit of relief after about 6 months. I've never followed through with a full plan, which can take anywhere from 2-5 years! Seems like a long time, but it's nothing really considering all the years you'll be allergy free afterwards.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    the shots are a definite commitment. I've only just restarted - but, I know from previous experience I get quite a bit of relief after about 6 months. I've never followed through with a full plan, which can take anywhere from 2-5 years! Seems like a long time, but it's nothing really considering all the years you'll be allergy free afterwards.

Took allergy shots for about 5 years. Started out with one shot in each arm, and then one shot in one arm. Best thing I've ever done. I never suffer with them now. I had them so bad as a child that I could barely function. So worth it.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Huh. I just switched fro zyrtec to allegra because I had a good coupon, and I have been losing. Most interesting. I take something 365 days a year so...Anyway an interesting thought. Will have to track.