need advice about water weight post-op

caribeals
caribeals Posts: 105 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
hi all. i recently had surgery yesterday. (had my tubes tied, nothing major) but i can not do any physical activity yesterday or today and need to take it easy tomarrow. i stepped on the scale this morning and see that i have gained 3 pounds since yesterday morning. i am sure its from the i.v. fluids. is there anything i can do (other than drink more water) to help relieve some of the excess? someone had mentioned an over-the-counter water pill, but i am kinda of leary to do that. and how long did it take you to lose the excess water weight? thanks!

Replies

• Honestly, the safest way is to just wait it out. I know it's frustrating to see, but my advice is to drink more water and stay off the scale the rest of the week. Your body will flush the fluids out by itself. :happy:
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Just give it time. It goes away as quickly as it was gained. Just keep your sodium normal and drink lots of water.
  • SayLiLIG
    SayLiLIG Posts: 197 Member
    ditto. Just give it a week :)
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,850 Member
    i was bloated for almost 4 weeks after my surgery and it was also a simple procedure. I don't know what causes it, but surgery has some wacky short term effects on our weight.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    I always hated the "gas bubble" they left inside. Took nearly 2 weeks for it to be absorbed and for me to feel normal again. Give your body a couple weeks for all the chemicals and drugs used to work their way out of your system. Eat healthy and drink lots of water.
  • Nmama
    Nmama Posts: 191 Member
    I had my tied about a month ago. if you had it done laproscopy they fill your abdomen with gas so they can see everything better in there. It took me about 2-3 weeks before all that gas/air weight was absorbed and my weight went back to normal. I wouldnt weigh myself for another 2 weeks or you may continue to be discouraged. just continue to stick to logging you cals. :)
  • I have c sections and though I delivered 8+lb babies, I don't lose weight in the hospital because of the serious post op swelling. Just drink lots of water. It'll come off. I flew last week and in 7 days I've dropped 9lbs (I swelled bad from flying) just by watching my sodium and drinking all my water.
This discussion has been closed.