What the heck do I do with oatmeal now?

Options
kikityme
kikityme Posts: 472 Member
Ok...I hate cooking. I love baking, but the diabetes is putting a hold on that for now.

I have a cupboard full of steel-cut oatmeal, which is particularly good for me for breakfast.

But, if it's not going in a cookie, I have no idea how to make it! Any ideas? I can't do a lot of fruit in the morning, just a couple berries.

Replies

• suzichains
    suzichains Posts: 2
    Options
    I usually make steel cut oatmeal with blueberries, almonds and cinnamon, it's pretty good
  • EmGetsFit
    EmGetsFit Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Top it off with something yummy: walnuts, pecans, raisins, cranberries, a sliced strawberry, few banana slices, dark chocolate chips, granola...
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    PB and a scoop of vanilla whey protein powder is my favorite way to eat oatmeal.

Prepare as directed and add the PB and whey.
  • travel_kat
    travel_kat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Either soak them overnight with almond milk for a nice porridge in the morning, or add milk to oats (about 1/4 cup of each) and layer this mixture with Greek yogurt and berries and put in the fridge...
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I make porrige using oatmeal and milk (in a 1:2 proportion by volume), I also use powdered milk and water (both habits from my student days)

you can do it in a pan, but I use a microwave (saves on washing up)

make sure you use a wide shallow bowl so it doesn't "pop" and go all over the microwave

I do one minute then stir and repeat 2-4 times

then put anything you like on top - or nothing
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Make it savory!

Everyone thinks of oatmeal as a sweet breakfast, but there's no reason to not make it savory! Use it like you would grits, or quinoa, or any other grain- add in some cheesey goodness, sauteed onions, top with crumbled bacon and a poached or sunny side up egg and BAM! a hearty/healthy start to your day.

Obviously the above is just to get your brain thinking- you could add garlic, herbs, scramble your egg- whatever style you like. maybe a little sausage or chorizo. The possibilities are endless.
  • johnmkuk
    johnmkuk Posts: 1
    Options
    @laughingdani,
    That sounds delicious! I have peanut butter with my oatmeal nearly every day -- and sometimes I add a banana.
    Now I need to try the vanilla whey protein powder.
    Thanks!
  • kikityme
    Options
    Ok, part one down. I mean literally-HOW do you cook it? 1 cup water to 1 cup oatmeal? Boil it? Spackle the wall with it? I'm the only one who eats it, so I only need 1 serving.

Thanks for the tips though...I've only ever eaten the microwave stuff, with roughly 16 tablespoons of brown sugar. :wink:
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats. No cooking required. Awesome and delicious

www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

4884.jpg
  • kikityme
    Options
    I make porrige using oatmeal and milk (in a 1:2 proportion by volume), I also use powdered milk and water (both habits from my student days)

make sure you use a wide shallow bowl so it doesn't "pop" and go all over the microwave

reading is hard. :) Thanks.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I eat my oatmeal pretty simply: Make it with fat-free milk and had two teaspoons of sugar.

Might bore other people but I can't start the day with anything else!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Marking for tomorrow. I will be back. A friend gave me a slow cooker recipe with cinnamon and almond milk. I add berries and slivered almonds. So tasty. Once cooked it will last me all week. Quick breakfasts!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Cook it with raspberries and vanilla, finish with a splash of milk! Mmmmm
  • PurpleCupcakes01
    Options
    A tablespoon of peanut butter works wonders in oatmeal
  • magairlin
    magairlin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have porridge every morning with natural yoghourt on top and cinnamon. I make it in the microwave on water which allows me the extra calories for the yoghourt Sometimes my husband makes it with milk and then I don't take the yoghourt on it I think it's delicious and I look forward to it every morning. It's quite low calorie and keeps me going until lunch time. I seldom eat a mid morning snack.
  • vickyreelgood
    Options
    Smarts to learn:

Steel cut oats use a 4:1 liquid to oats ratio. You can use any combination with the liquid – water, soy milk, almond milk, normal milk – all work
    If you don’t have a slow cooker, bring the ingredients to boil and then simmer for 45 minutes, stirring here and there to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan
    Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oatmeal

Save Print
    Prep time
    5 mins
    Cook time
    8 hours
    Total time
    8 hours 5 mins

Most of us are too busy to make breakfast in the morning, so a big pot of steel cut oatmeal made in a slow cooker is the perfect solution to make sure you always have a healthy meal to start the day
    Author: Jess Dang
    Recipe type: Make Ahead Breakfast
    Serves: 10-12
    Ingredients

Steel cut oats – 2 cups
    Water – 6 cups
    Milk (any type) – 2 cups
    Butter – 2 tbs.
    Apples, peeled & chopped (optional) – 2 to 3
    Brown sugar – ¼ cup
    Kosher salt – 2 tsp.
    Cinnamon – 1 tbs.
    Star anise (optional) – 2 to 3

Optional: Give the slow cooker a quick spray of cooking oil or brush with cooking oil to prevent sticking of ingredients
    Put all ingredients in a slow cooker
    Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or 4 hours on high
    Top with nuts, yogurt, fruit, jams, coconut shavings!
    Steel cut oats use a 4:1 liquid to oats ratio. You can use any combination with the liquid – water, soy milk, almond milk, milk all work
    If you don’t have a slow cooker, bring the ingredients to boil and then simmer for 45 minutes, stirring here and there to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan
  • marinabella
    marinabella Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have just discovered magic pancakes and they are fab - I had them for breakfast this morning with some fresh berries. 35g of oatmeal or porridge oats/oatbran, 3 eggs, 3 tblsp fromage frais or natural yogurt. add some sweetner and cinnamon (optional). light Oil spray your pan and fry them. mixture keeps in the fridge for a day or two. you can have them sweet or savoury..nice with bacon too! . keeps me from snacking and helps me to lose weight and they are good if you are watching your sugar intake too. Good luck. :-):
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

reading is hard. :) Thanks.

In a saucepan just put about double the water (or milk) as oatmeal and heat it up with a pinch of salt. Boil it for awhile. If it's too watery after awhile remove the lid to evaporate the water to thicken it a little. It will thicken more while cooling to be cool enough to eat.

One minute oatmeal can be cooked in the micro or pan for one minute. Normal oatmeal takes around 20 mins.

Instant oatmeal in packets you just pour hot water and bam, eats time

Top with any of the things mentioned here. I prefer to make mine with milk and then top with butter and maple syrup. Sometimes straight sugar is fine. Sometimes splenda and cinnamon (which masks the flavor of artificial stuff for me).

Depends on my macros that day.

Hope these help.

Otherwise, I'd also suggest make bars or muffins for the morning. Find recipes online. Add dried fruits and nuts to it. Yum. Almost like a breakfast cookie.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Google recipes for crockpot recipes using it. I'll make that and portion it out for breakfast all week. You can add in just about anything you like really. I love cinnamon and vanilla in mine and then some walnuts...yum! Didn't like banana when added to it in the slow cooker, but added in cold was good.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Ok, part one down. I mean literally-HOW do you cook it? 1 cup water to 1 cup oatmeal? Boil it? Spackle the wall with it? I'm the only one who eats it, so I only need 1 serving.

Thanks for the tips though...I've only ever eaten the microwave stuff, with roughly 16 tablespoons of brown sugar. :wink:

You have boxes of oatmeal and there are no directions on these boxes?