Ideas for fitness goal?

Options
Back story: A year ago I was in a much better place fitness wise: I was running 8-10 miles during the week. To celebrate my birthday I decided to up it and ran 1 mile for every year I was alive. This came out to me running 26 miles over the course of 5 days (5.2 miles a day).

Since then I've had a crazy year and a lot of excuses, mostly good (moved 3 times, had 2 surgeries, switched from working days to nights) but ultimately just excuses. I'm no longer in great fitness shape. Haven't gained weight but have gone soft.

I want to end this and try again for a big birthday celebration fitness blowout. I've been thinking about doing the same thing this year (running a mile for every year, making it 27 miles in 5 days) but am a little nervous I'll fail.

So MFP know-it-alls: What should I do? My Birthday is June 12th, should I get my *kitten* out there and start running to meet my challenge like last year, or adjust the goal for my less than active lifestyle these past 10 months?

*note: anyone who get's offended at the know-it-all comment automatically gets an Internet Fail for not recognizing sarcastic love*

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Back story: A year ago I was in a much better place fitness wise: I was running 8-10 miles during the week. To celebrate my birthday I decided to up it and ran 1 mile for every year I was alive. This came out to me running 26 miles over the course of 5 days (5.2 miles a day).

Since then I've had a crazy year and a lot of excuses, mostly good (moved 3 times, had 2 surgeries, switched from working days to nights) but ultimately just excuses. I'm no longer in great fitness shape. Haven't gained weight but have gone soft.

I want to end this and try again for a big birthday celebration fitness blowout. I've been thinking about doing the same thing this year (running a mile for every year, making it 27 miles in 5 days) but am a little nervous I'll fail.

So MFP know-it-alls: What should I do? My Birthday is June 12th, should I get my *kitten* out there and start running to meet my challenge like last year, or adjust the goal for my less than active lifestyle these past 10 months?

*note: anyone who get's offended at the know-it-all comment automatically gets an Internet Fail for not recognizing sarcastic love*

If you were overweight I'd have my doubts about this goal but it sounds like you aren't. I don't particularly like running myself but I go for the occassional run and recently ran a 10k which I completed in a half-way decent time. I found that suprisingly just regular cardio exercise for fitness was enough to get me into shape where I could run for quite a while without tiring. I was doing a lot of aerobics, not even running and when I attempted to go for a run I was expecting to fall on my face and was shocked to find I could actually run for a solid hour. At this point II think I could probably run 27 miles in a week but I don't think I really want to :-).

Anyways point being the amount of time it took me to go from totally out of shape to in shape enough to run a 10k was actually not that long, probably about two months for the 10k but I was in shape enough to run 5 miles before that. I'm not obese but I am overweight, more than just being soft, so I bet you can do it.

I think it just comes down to doing cardio very regularly, like an hour a day and going for runs. Perhaps not runs every day, mix it up with aerobics or other forms of cardio so as to not just f-up your knees and shins with all that high impact.

I think you can do it though.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I'm leaning towards just finding the time and shoving it (running) back in there.

Last year I did it all on the treadmill, but my current location is a better neighborhood and has running/walking/biking trails so maybe this year I'll take it to the streets.