I beat my type 2 diabetes into submision.

Options

Replies

• kingalec
    kingalec Posts: 2
    Options
    Way to go!!! I have type 2 diabetes also,but reading your story has given me new hope.I started at 360 pounds and now i'm at 347.Its hard and i have a long way to go but reading your story tells me not to give up.Looking at your picture i thought i was looking at myself.THANK YOU!!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    awesome job! It's a great feeling when your doctor says you no longer need meds!
  • luminajd
    luminajd Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    That is AWESOME!!!!!
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Your succes with the scale and diabetes are amazing. Congratulations!!!!!
  • Fattackler2013
    Fattackler2013 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic. You look a lot more healthier and I bet that you feel a lot better too. Well done :D
  • DaniDC28
    DaniDC28 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Well done! :smile:
  • divainsneakers
    divainsneakers Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Amazing job on the weight loss and the improvement of your health!
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Such good news! Congrats. My father was recently diagnosed as pre-diabetic and to be quite honest, I'm surprised I haven't been given a similar diagnosis. With the reality of my father's condition hitting so close to home, I'm glad to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
  • mangozulu
    mangozulu Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Well done!
  • soupandlettuce
    soupandlettuce Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Inspiring!
  • reedusf
    reedusf Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks I needed to see something like this today. Congrats on your success.
  • KariOrtiz2014
    KariOrtiz2014 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is amazing!!
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    That is great news! Awesome work!
  • zezelryck
    zezelryck Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I used to be the archetypal western couch potato. I worked hard but ate all of the wrong stuff, drank way too much alcohol and never did any exercise at all, other than walking from my car to the counter in KFC. A couple of years ago I ended up in hospital for 29 days and was diagnosed with congenital heart failure. They also diagnosed sleep apnoea, type 2 diabetes, gout and a whole host of niggly little ailments basically all caused through bad lifestyle choices.

After being released from hospital weighing 276lb I was told I needed open heart surgery but that they couldn't risk operating whilst I was that weight, they suggested they would not even consider surgery until I got my self down below 210lb.

I completely disregarded what I was told for a further couple of years and finally got to 329lb. At this point I was warned I probably wouldn't last another 5 years. I have 2 beautiful daughters and a wonderful grandson and they seemed to be quite fond of me so I realised I had to do something serious to sort my life out.

On July 13 2012, I quit both smoking and drinking (which I did both heavily). Other than a few celebratory glasses of Champagne I have never touched alcohol since and never even fancied a cigarette.

On May 31st I went to my local slimming world group meeting. There was only one other male (my father) and around 50 females. It felt intimidating but they all made me feel very welcome. I have stuck by their slimming plan for the past 11 months and I have started swimming. When I was 329lb it used to take me about two and a half hours to complete 50 lengths of the pool in my local gym as I could only manage 4-5 lengths then I needed a 4-5 minute break. Over time I have managed to get that up to 80-85 lengths in 60 minutes. I can now do an hour without stopping and not even get out of breathe. I only do a kind of freestyle breast stroke but can manage around 1400 meters in an hour now.

Things I quit:

Smoking
    Alcohol
    Pop (soda) that has sugar in it
    Fast food
    Sitting up till 3am looking at rubbish on the internet or playing on-line games
    Anything with sugar in it (other than in it's natural form)
    No Chocolate
    No Potato chips
    No Pizza, chicken or burgers I didn't make myself

I also learned how to cook for myself. I have a photobucket site of some of my meals. I am definitely no Chef de cuisine and I am an even worse photographer, but I share my ideas with my slimming world friends and nowadays they do not pull so many contorted faces whilst browsing my meals lol.

I have a slimming group meeting tonight and fingers crossed I am hoping to get my 147lb (10½ stone) loss certificate.

I shall keep dieting and training until I hit 154lb, I figure as I am only 5"6 and I have a dodgy heart the closer I get to my BMI the healthier I will be.

Thanks for all of your wonderful words of encouragement, they really help.
  • bonnienicholson
    bonnienicholson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You are so inspiring. Congratulations to you. I too was diagnosed with Type II diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. While spending over $100 at the drug store for medications, I said to myself "I am on all this medication and spending all this money because (1) I eat too much, and (2) because I don't exercise. I started eating healthy and exercising. So far I am down 23 pounds and I have taken myself off my diabetes medicine and blood pressure medicine. I monitor both and the next time I go for my A1C test, I am going to be able to show my doctor that I can do it!!! We can all do it. Thank you for your inspiration. I needed it today.
  • gitnfit2
    gitnfit2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Man what a life change, you look healthy and happy and what a great NSV
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    You look great! Congrats! I was just diagnosed with diabetes and high blood pressure about 3 weeks ago. I've been eating healthier since and started to exercise. But I would like to get off the medication. But I wouldn't go off the medication without doctors approval.
  • Red_Nationhtx
    Red_Nationhtx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    WOW THAT IS AMAZING GREAT JOB, KEEP IT UP.

IF U don't mind me asking what did ur diet consist of? and what was ur exercise regimine?
  • zezelryck
    zezelryck Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Just a quick update. I went to my slimming group meeting tonight and got my 10½ Stone (147lb) certificate. Thats exactly 150lb lost so far since May 31st 2013 (about 50 weeks).

20140514_190220_zpsd3805abb.jpg
  • optionalsourcewins
    optionalsourcewins Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Wow, this the best success story I have read. Congratulations - you've done an AWESOME job!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!