How long does it take the body to process water?

Options
Chezzie84
Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
Hey guys,

I am running the risk of asking a stupid question but here goes.
As the title says... How long does it take the body to process and flush out water consumed?

Here is my situation: During the day I only drink green tea and water. Ihave been drinking about a litre whilst at work (9-5). I have to travel 30 miles down the M5, M6 and M42 to get home during rush hour traffic and it takes me anything from 1 - 2.5 hours.
Problem is I always need to use the toilet and since the stretch of motorway I use a) has no services and b) is slow moving traffic by the time I get home I am in agony.

I wondered how long it takes so I can stop drinking at a certain time to make sure I don't need to urinate.

Replies

• shrimpie75
    shrimpie75 Posts: 10
    Options
    Easy if it was a bloke situation, id say take a bottle to pee in lmao!!!

I'm one of those people that if I drink a pint of water 10 mins later I need to rush to the loo lol!

Perhaps try to have a last drink bout an hour before traveling and maybe that work???

Its like that situation (if ure a mum ya know what I mean lol) that when you're trying to toilet train a lil one to go dry during the night, the last drink is an hour before bed (hence not all parents do this may I add but majority have done and 9 times out of 10 it works)

There's a method in my madness there somewhere lol!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    "The volume of urine passed each time by a normal adult will vary from around 250 - 400mls. This is the same as about 2 cupfuls. Most people with normal bladder habits can hold on for 3-4 hours between visits to the toilet." - is that you ?

Assuming you urinate before departure, I wouldn't drink after 3.30 (ye olde tea break).

http://ask.metafilter.com/149519/How-long-does-it-take-for-water-to-get-from-your-mouth-to-your-bladder might help - suggests 45-60 minutes from drink to pee but points out that the water you drink isn't the water you pee straight away it's a slow moving balance thing.

Edit to add - may be worth a chat with your GP, diabetes causes you to pee more for example.