Belly Fat Study

Bamacraft
Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
Thought this was interesting enough to share. I have seen a few post regarding how to rid that last bit of fat in the gut. Of course we all know diet is key, but assuming an adequate diet this may be worth a try...Interested to know what the results of higher intensity 10 minute sessions would provide considering the percieved level of exertion was less. The main question I'd like to know is the impact if they vary the 20 minutes rest or use the 20 minute rest as time to work out a particular body part..chest for example with lower reps 4-6 with 2 minutes rest between sets....or is total recovery the key between sessions.

One very effective way to split up cardio exercise and lost belly fat faster is by using intermittent exercise. In a study published in Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, people who broke 30 minutes of cardio exercise into three 10 minute sessions separated by 20 minutes of rest reduces fats in the blood more than people who exercised continuously for 30 minutes. Reducing fat in the blood will help you to lose belly fat.

The key, according to the study, is to make sure that you exercise at a moderate pace – a leisurely walk around the block will not do. You have to perform each 10-minute bout of cardio exercise with the same level of intensity as you would if you were exercising for 30 minutes continuously.So how did the continuous cardio exercise group compare to the intermittent cardio exercise group?

We can see in the graph below...link:
http://www.build-muscle-and-burn-fat.com/lose-belly-fat-cardio-exercise.html

shows that total calories burned between the two groups were approximately the same, while the perceived exertion for the intermittent group was lower. Also, by using the respiratory exchange ratio (RER), we can use the table at the bottom of this page to determine that a greater percentage of the calories burned were from fat for the intermittent group. That is good news if you are trying to lose belly fat!

The conclusion here is that if you want to lose fat faster, an easy solution may be to “take a break” in your cardio exercise routine by breaking a longer workout into shorter intervals. You will burn approximately the same number of calories, but more of those calories may come from fat. So take a break and lose belly fat!

Source: Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise: Volume 35(5) Supplement 1 May 2003 p S87

Replies

• ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    What I love about Turbo Fire are the unique HIIT drills. Proven to burn 9x more fat. If no one knows what that is:

High-intensity interval training (HIIT) or sprint interval training is an exercise strategy that is intended to improve performance with short training sessions. HIIT is a form of cardio which is beneficial to burning fat in a short and intense workout. Usual HIIT sessions may vary from 9–20 minutes. The original protocol set a 2:1 ratio for work to recovery periods. For example, a runner would alternate 15-20 seconds of hard sprinting with 10 seconds of jogging or walking.

A HIIT session consists of a warm up period of exercise, followed by six to ten repetitions of high intensity exercise, separated by medium intensity exercise, and ending with a period of cool down exercise. The high intensity exercise should be done at near maximum intensity. The medium exercise should be about 50% intensity. The number of repetitions and length of each depends on the exercise. The goal is to do at least six cycles, and to have the entire HIIT session last at least fifteen minutes and not more than twenty.

Anyhoo, yea, those are one of the best ways to burn more fat and it boosts your metabolism for as long as 48 hours after your workout. I have had awesome results thus far with Turbo Fire's HIIT discs, according to the schedule. My stomach pooch is working it's way down!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,849 Member
    Very interesting.
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    so basically interval training. i've never been a fan of it - probably because i hate sprinting (i'm a runner)...lol... but I did some research on it after reading this and think I might try to incorporate it a few times a week when I do my runs/bike rides, etc...

I found the following article to be very helpful in understanding it and how to do it properly for the most fat burn:
    http://www.stephenholtfitness.com/articles/guest_articles/interval_training_for_fat_loss.htm
This discussion has been closed.