Motivation and calorie counting

Options
Background: I live with a significant other who is not aware that I am counting out all of my calories. I don't want to go into details in this thread. I am just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences.

So I had an excellent streak going for most of last week. Even on the weekends when I didn't log I know I stuck within my goals.

Anyway, I had a cheat day on Mother's Day, because we had planned a BBQ with my Mum, my partner my partner's Mum and various family members. After all the lunch we had, we also had cake. Then I had a very carb-heavy dinner with lots of cheese.

Anyway, everything went back to normal Monday. I went running, logged everything. I cooked dinner and served myself the calculated amount of the kidney bean pasta dish I had made and ensured it was high-protein without being overly high in calories.

Here is what I did which is now typical of my routine. I made something that serves 4 and had pasta as an a side dish. Put half of the main dish/sauce in the fridge, divided the rest for my partner and myself. Then my partner and I each serve ourselves however much pasta we want. I served myself 1 cup of pasta. So yesterday was fine.

Today I did the same thing. Went for a run, logged my calories. With two serves of kidney bean pasta sauce left, I thought all I'd have to do when I got home from my meeting was make more pasta and reheat the leftovers.

But, I got home to find that my partner who rarely EVER cooks... had cooked. I ate this food and it was yummy but I CAN'T calculate it. If this had happened on any other week I would feel completely chill about it but only two days after my cheat day. I feel ruined.

And I KNOW that is irrational. But I'm just wondering who experiences similar feelings.

Replies

• Rancerox
    Rancerox Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My wife does all the cooking, however she is also using MFP, so most of the time she has already broken it down.

What I suggest is see what ingredients your partner used and attempt to calculate each individually. It's a pain, I know (believe me, I know), but it will give you a ballpark figure for your calories and any other macros you may use. Stress again to your partner the reasons why you are calculating out your calories and if they could please list the ingredients they are using for future use.

I used to calculate everything, and I mean everything: if my wife used a single radish in our salad, it was put in. "How many grape tomatoes did you use! Ah jeeze, was it four or five....aahhh!" Yeah, that lasted about a week.

Now, I measure success by the scales and my belt size. I still put all my food into MFP, but I use it more as an estimate, rather than a scientific formula. Same with exercise. How many calories did I really consume? Or burn? I don't know. What I do know, is that I am maintaining a deficit (usually), the scales are moving in the correct direction on average, the clothes are fitting better, and I'm feeling better.

Best of luck to you and have a Blessed day.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    This wouldn't really be a biggie for me as I use weekly cals instead of daily. I would shave off 100 or so cals a day for the next 5 to make up the diff of a cheat dinner. BTW, I actually have to do this sometimes. My darling husband does not realize homemade Mac n cheese made with cheese and butter is not diet food! :wink: