What to do when you hit your goal...?

Options
I'm two pounds away from my goal and instead of feeling thrilled like I should be, I'm totally terrified of what's going to happen once I stop "dieting". It was pretty hard work to lose the weight (a lot harder than I ever thought it would be and it wasn't even that much weight!)
Now I'm scared that it will all come back. I need practical advice...I know about continuing to eat healthy foods, and stay active. I need real stats, like how much exercise is enough to maintain and how do I know how many calories to eat....? I don't love exercise but I did it 5 days per week to get down the pounds...can I cut back at this point? A bit?
Anyone that has met their goal and maintained, please give feedback! Also, what are some of the stumbling blocks I can expect to run into? I need to hear from you guys!

Replies

• mommyjos
    mommyjos Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    well, I'm not close to my goal yet, but here's my take on it....I would try not to think of it as dieting. It should be about changing how you eat and your lifestyle. Personally, when I get to my goal I will probably change my goal on this site to "maintain." It will help you with your calories etc and keep you focused on how much is ok to eat and go from there. Another option is focus on another area, for example, cholesterol. If you've been having too much try to get that into a more normal range. For me right now, I'm mainly focusing on the weight, but as I get closer I want to make sure I'm getting enough fiber and protein and less sodium and cholesterol.
    Just some thoughts, hope it helps!
    Congrats on your loss! :smile:
  • msdjsmith95
    Options
    Congratulations!! It is kind of scary once you reach your goal. I lost 30+ pounds and was worried what would happen when I reached my magic number. In fact, I'm still concerned, but I've kept the weight off for several months so far, and even lost a few extra pounds!

This is what has worked for me...I changed my goal to "maintain my weight" and have continued to keep my food and exercise diaries up to date. That has really helped me maintain accountability to myself. On occasion I might have an "extra" bite of something that isn't necessarily a wise choice, but I start fresh the next day, or even the next meal. I don't know how long I'll continue to keep the diaries, but right now, this is working for me.

Good luck to you!