Do kettlebells counts as "lifting"?

Options
chazza55
chazza55 Posts: 27 Member
Hello all,

I am a 31yr old male.

I started at 281lbs and am not 239lbs......I, like a lot of people on here are worried about loose skin once i reach my goal (approx 180lbs).

One of the biggest pieces of advice on here seems to be to "LIFT" to help prevent loose skin.

Now I dont really have access to a gym not the space for a home gym setup. I do however have a 16kg (35lb) kettlebell.

My question is: Is this sufficient? Do kettlebell workouts count as "LIFTING"?.......i try to do as much as I can and hope to move up to heavier kettlebells.

What are people's thoughts?............thanks in advance.....

Replies

• Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I reckon they do, I'd say they give you a good full body workout. Just make sure you do it right as you don't want to injure yourself.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    KB are great for lifting, but I imagine you'll soon 'outgrow' 16kg. Look are for a variety of exercises, you can do goblet squats, farmers walk, over head presses etc easily with a KB, as well as swings :)
  • chazza55
    chazza55 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!.....i have been feeling guilty that i am not been doing bench presses and squats etc with barbells.......just with a kettlebell.

I suppose anything is better than nothing in the short term but I will also explore ways to get a bar bell back in the home.......used to have one but usable house space came 1st.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!.....i have been feeling guilty that i am not been doing bench presses and squats etc with barbells.......just with a kettlebell.

I suppose anything is better than nothing in the short term but I will also explore ways to get a bar bell back in the home.......used to have one but usable house space came 1st.

Even a heavier kettlebell will do much the same once you get good with the 16kg, like a 24 or 32kg KB :)
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Only if you are focusing on progression from workout to workout or week to week. If you are using the same weight bell for weeks on end you are effectively just doing a form of cardio.

For a "lifting" program to be effective, be it kettlebells or even traditional weight lifting, you MUST focus on progression (adding weight to the bar or adding reps) each workout. This is the main reason you see people in the gym for months on end looking exactly the same, if you pay close attention, every workout they do exactly the same routine with the same weight. If you are not progressing you are not giving your muscles any reason to get bigger.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    it depends what you are doing with them - you can certainly use kettle bells in a more traditional lifting style - shoulder press / chest press / curls / dead lifts - or even as added weight for squats / lunges etc - if the weight is challenging enough for you then yes it is "lifting"

Used in the true kettle bell manner - swings, snatches, clean and jerk , high pulls etc with a challenging weight it becomes more of a dynamic / power workout - which is certainly not a bad thing - progressing form and efficiency the works out can move into a more cardio style effort - I executed 180 snatches non stop with a 16kg bell for my work out Sat - it took under 12 mins and I was drenched with sweat - it was certainly more effort than a 12 min run !! I would say at that point the only real strength work out I was getting was on my grip
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Only if you are focusing on progression from workout to workout or week to week.If you are using the same weight bell for weeks on end you are effectively just doing a form of cardio.

For a "lifting" program to be effective, be it kettlebells or even traditional weight lifting, you MUST focus on progression (adding weight to the bar or adding reps) each workout. This is the main reason you see people in the gym for months on end looking exactly the same, if you pay close attention, every workout they do exactly the same routine with the same weight. If you are not progressing you are not giving your muscles any reason to get bigger.

Just how does staying at the same weight magically transition anaerobic exercise into an aerobic event?
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Only if you are focusing on progression from workout to workout or week to week. If you are using the same weight bell for weeks on end you are effectively just doing a form of cardio.

This.

I do kettlebells as a part of my HIIT.

But my lifts are just different. I'm upping my weight with the barbell or my supp lifts.
  • jeffpettis
    Options
    Only if you are focusing on progression from workout to workout or week to week.If you are using the same weight bell for weeks on end you are effectively just doing a form of cardio.

Just how does staying at the same weight magically transition anaerobic exercise into an aerobic event?

Like I explained in the second part of my response... If you are using the same weight and never "progressing" to a heavier weight you are not giving your muscles any ques to adapt and change to be able to handle added stresses. Meaning your muscle will stay exactly as they are. Why would they change or grow if they don't have any reason to do so?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Like I explained in the second part of my response... If you are using the same weight and never "progressing" to a heavier weight you are not giving your muscles any ques to adapt and change to be able to handle added stresses. Meaning your muscle will stay exactly as they are. Why would they change or grow if they don't have any reason to do so?

There is a difference in not enough stimulus to promote further growth (while still providing enough resistance to prevent atrophy) and changing an anaerobic process into an aerobic one. Choosing (or failing) to continue to add more progressive resistance does not alter basic biochemical responses. Lifting is anaerobic ... not cardio.
  • jeffpettis
    Options

There is a difference in not enough stimulus to promote further growth (while still providing enough resistance to prevent atrophy) and changing an anaerobic process into an aerobic one. Choosing (or failing) to continue to add more progressive resistance does not alter basic biochemical responses. Lifting is anaerobic ... not cardio.

You are correct.

But, having said that, most people do a form of circuit training when using kettlebells, not traditional sets and reps, so because of that it would be considered more a "form" of cardio than lifting.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Considering the popularity of interval training, I'd say cardio is very often anaerobic.

Take that mr smarty pants.

OP:
    KBs can give you a pretty serious workout. Explosive swings have measured force output of nearly 10X the weight of teh KB itself.

Pavel Tatsouline writes a ton about KB training. Swing it Comrade.
  • brando79az
    brando79az Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    *Following :)