Zumba.

Options
I ordered the package yesterday and I'm very excited to get it! :) I've heard all great stuff about it.,

Replies

• rosalie_g
    Options
    I've been taking classes at my gym and they are extremely fun!! Good luck, you'll love it. It doesnt feel like a work out at all!
  • chubzee
    chubzee Posts: 104
    Options
    I "LOVE" Zumba. !!!! :love:
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA ZUMBA ZUMBA... I cannot say enough great things about it. I started taking classes in August and go twice a week. LOVE IT. I will admit I tried the home discs but just cannot get into them. The energy you get from class (and the ability to NOT say ok, I quit) is just too infectious!

If you can, I encourage also signing up locally. Most classes average $5.00 a class.

Good luck and enjoy!!
  • Memah
    Memah Posts: 129
    Options
    I did a class last night for the first time. Today my knees and feet really hurt. But...I am a little older, and I think after I lose some more weight I might try it again. For now I much prefer my workout at the gym. Go figure.

But it was a blast, and I loved the music. I'm proud of myself for keeping up for the whole hour. It IS a great workout. You'll break a sweat get lots of ounces of water in, and burn up those calories.
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I love zumba too and enjoy participating in the classes the gym offers. The instructor is great & makes it enjoyable. Have fun with your discs.
  • tesshaney
    tesshaney Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I just started Zumba classes at my gym. Im terrible at it but it is mad fun.
  • AndreeT
    AndreeT Posts: 191
    Options
    I ordered the package yesterday and I'm very excited to get it! :) I've heard all great stuff about it.,

Awesome! Can I ask how much it was? Where did you order it from? I have been looking but can't seem to find it anywhere!!

Thanks much :flowerforyou:
  • tesshaney
    Options
    Memah- I heard that same complaint for some older ladies at my gym who take Zumba. To solve the problem, they all went and bought blue painters tape and put it on the bottom of their shoes (from the toes to the arch) so that they could slide a little more easily when dancing thus alleviating some of the pressure it put on their knees.
  • tesshaney
    Options
    I did a class last night for the first time. Today my knees and feet really hurt. But...I am a little older, and I think after I lose some more weight I might try it again. For now I much prefer my workout at the gym. Go figure.

But it was a blast, and I loved the music. I'm proud of myself for keeping up for the whole hour. It IS a great workout. You'll break a sweat get lots of ounces of water in, and burn up those calories.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options

I had that problem as well, I am 36, and it was my shoes. I was told that Pumas or Nike Musique worked best as they actually have flat little circles on the bottom of the shoes to aid in those slide moves that they love to throw at us. Once I stopped using my cross trainners and bought my Pumas I have had no problems (and I've had surgery on one of my knees a few years ago so it doesn't take much to jar it).

Good Luck!!
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Love Zumba! My gym is doing half price classes this Sunday in aid of Breast Cancer Care. Can't wait!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE Zumba!! I look forward to going to class and miss it when I can't go! I actually crave it when I"ve had to skip a class here and there! Good luck and most important thing is even if you feel silly doing it just have fun!!!!!
  • Shayberz
    Options
    I want to do a class but I don't live close enough to where some are being held, it sucks! :(
  • Swoopette
    Swoopette Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Memah- I heard that same complaint for some older ladies at my gym who take Zumba. To solve the problem, they all went and bought blue painters tape and put it on the bottom of their shoes (from the toes to the arch) so that they could slide a little more easily when dancing thus alleviating some of the pressure it put on their knees.

At the Zumba class I attend some ladies bought head bands and wrapped them on their feet. That seemed to work too.
  • Kristy1214
    Options
    Another WOOHOO for Zumba! I love it too! My class is at a gymnastics place and we have that bouncy floor so a lot of us do it bare foot... but our instructor told us about the shoes, he said no running shoes because of the grips on the bottom...the head band and tape are neat ideas!!
  • OhyesIam
    Options
    I am also a Zumba convert, and will defenitly be using the tape idea lol! It is so much fun! And the hour just flies by!
  • NuNusMaMa
    Options
    Id love to try zumba but im afraid ill be tripping over my feet!! I love to dance but dont know if i can stay that coordianated haha!!!! I have a free guest pass to the gym next to me until november 2nd and i was watching the class while on the treadmill....looks exciting!!!
  • moonbeam74
    Options
    I would love to try Zumba. There aren't any classes around me that offer it. I can't dance to save my soul, and since I'm so overweight, I would be so self concious around everyone else. But that's just me!
  • TheDash12
    Options
    Here is a little tip for those who go to Zumba classes and have issues with their knees, ankles ect.

I've never had any knees injuries or anything like that but I would always have so much pain in my knees and legs after Zumba...

The things is more than likely your shoes. I do zumba about 5 times a week, and would wear my running shoes, and they would kill me!

They are too heavy and dont slide on the floor very well. Try investing in a pair of lighter shoes that youll only wear for zumba! I bought a pair of New Balance ones that were like $40. And I can jump shake and enjoy the class without being in PAIN!

YOU LEGS WILL THANK YOU!
  • snowprincess74
    Options
    I've never seen the videos, but I go to Zumba 3 times a week at the gym. My mom and my sister also take the class with me, it is so much more fun than doing it alone. Don't worry about how you look or if you don't think you can dance, just have fun with it. It's not exercise, it's a party!

Also, I wish they would add it on here as an exercise. What does everyone else use to log it in? I have no idea how many calories I burn doing Zumba.