Exercises to Help Lower Back Pain

Options
2»

Replies

• hbwright74
    hbwright74 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to your doctor first, and work with a trainer to get your form correct, but deadlifts have made my back pain virtually nonexistent and I have scoliosis, osteopenia, and work in a chair 9-10 hours a day. I keep my weights a comfortable weight and don't push it, keeping my form top priority. I get minimal DOMS in my lower back the day after deadlifting if I go especially heavy or push out a couple extra reps, but it is nothing compared to the back pain that used to plague me. If I had to chose between one lift, and one lift only, this would definitely be it. Also, I am not supposed to do back rounding exercises, or twisting exercises, but I can feel my core strengthening and muscles working hard when I lift, so I don't feel so bad about not being able to do most core exercises. I deadlift, squat, and do Pallof presses. I couldn't be happier with my core progress.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Tweaking means the back is damaged, which can easily lead to more damage very quickly and suprisingly if the wrong exercises are done.

Pilates is a much better option as you engage your core more therefore protecting your back.

However a professional should assess the back first hense going to a physio or chiropractor first.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Tight hip flexors cause a lot of low back pain but are rarely mentioned. Prolonged sitting tightens up the hip flexors, which end up pulling on the lower back.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this. I am going to try these. I have had 2 failed spinal fusion surgeries and I think these may help. Thank you!!!
    I went to a PT for my back after suffering multiple broken vertebrae, he had me do various things but what seemed to do the most good for me was the medicine ball routine he had me on. It included Wood choppers, Russian twist or V-sits, Oblique Twist (Standing), crunches, Curl-ups, squats, Hip circles (sitting), and ski bends. Until I went to the PT and he had me doing this and other things I was going backwards, gaining more and more weight and losing mobility, he may not have saved my life but he saved my quality of life. Which to me are really closely tied into one another.
    I hope this helps.
    V/r,
    DW

Here is a link to a MB poster that has some of the exercises that he had me do.

http://www.bodysportproducts.com/SellSheets/BodySport_MedicineBall_Poster.pdf
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Tweaking means the back is damaged, which can easily lead to more damage very quickly and suprisingly if the wrong exercises are done.

Pilates is a much better option as you engage your core more therefore protecting your back.

However a professional should assess the back first hense going to a physio or chiropractor first.

One can have a soft tissue injury without involving the discs. If you just strained your back yoga will be beneficial. I understand that with slipped discs you must be more careful but to tell everyone who feels back pain at all to avoid yoga is going too far in my opinion.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

One can have a soft tissue injury without involving the discs. If you just strained your back yoga will be beneficial. I understand that with slipped discs you must be more careful but to tell everyone who feels back pain at all to avoid yoga is going too far in my opinion.

That may be true, but there are other things that can be done that are BETTER for strengthening the back and LESS likely to cause harm. As I've said, I do yoga, I love yoga, but it is not what I would recommend for dealing with back pain.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

That may be true, but there are other things that can be done that are BETTER for strengthening the back and LESS likely to cause harm. As I've said, I do yoga, I love yoga, but it is not what I would recommend for dealing with back pain.

Thank you
  • Schtroumpfkin
    Schtroumpfkin Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Build muscle around your spine. That's really the only thing that will cure back pain long term. Like a poster above suggested, Deadlifts done correctly do wonders for building back muscle.

http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/proof-that-functional-strength-training-cures-low-back-problems-and-pilates-wont

pic3.jpg
    pic4.jpg

Love this example. I don't know whether it will work or not, but seems to make sense to SUPPORT the weak back by surrounding it with strong, supportive muscle rather than wobbly fat. I'm inspired.
  • akh1981
    akh1981 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    [
    [/quote]

Love this example. I don't know whether it will work or not, but seems to make sense to SUPPORT the weak back by surrounding it with strong, supportive muscle rather than wobbly fat. I'm inspired.
    [/quote]

Exactly!!! This is exactly what my doctor and my trainer told me!
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    There are probably people on here that can give you some ideas about exercises to build strength in your core that will help you get rid of the back pain in the long term, but for now I'm going to suggest trying to relieve some of it with yoga. I have a lot of problems with my lower back and just basic yoga stretching does wonders for relieving the pain. Just go on to youtube and type in "yoga for lower back pain" and give some of the exercises a try.

^This^ Very few back problems since starting yoga 2.5 years ago. Also cleared up my sciatic nerve problems.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I had back surgery in February and swimming was the first activity I did that allowed me to even stretch my legs properly without getting a charlie horse. It's a pain to have to go to the pool, change clothes, change back, etc. but it's worth it for that all over workout without the strain.